Is Anyone Sick Of...

Fumoffu!
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
frsrblch said:
Some ISPs supply browsers? News to me.
Compuserve rings a bell when it comes to ISP supplied browsers (I remember this from many years ago though).

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well I've always have a problem here or there sometimes, as long it isn't extrmeely hazardous or not that annoying, doesn't bother me. Besides, I always thought most Operating Systems were like this.

I remember using a Mac in school and the word processor (NeoOffice?) was glitchy and iMovie crashed a couple of times, so I assumed that most computers who have been at least a year old will encounter problems.

Oh and what are these "threads getting stuck" talk? This may solve a small problem I've been having..

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Even though I prefer firefox for my majority of browsing, I still use ie from time to time (via ie tab through firefox or the avant shell) & that deos me. If something is strictly written for ie then I will use it, as I also prefer firefox not just for the reason of msot people sayying "OMG LOOK AT IE IT HAS EXPLOITS!!!!1111ONEONE", I also use it due to how you can customize it with extensions and add features. Every peace of software known to man has exploits, find me one program that does not have a glitch, exploit or serious security whole or some other serious problem & I will be amazed.

Using Linux doesn't nessacary make you safer in all terms as it will also come down to your knowlege of computers or of the internet and how you use it. You could still be exploited by someone who finds an exploit in something. However, yes people are gonig to target the more popular products. People use IE because it comes with windows & it's because they have been using it for god knows how long, if some make the switch to some otehr browser on windows then that's entirely there decision based on what may of happened with the other program they were using or this other app they want may interest them in it's features. I for one switched to firefox because a java site crashed ie for me at some point, and mind you i'm lucky I did as my brother had to reformat that day and ie was really giving him the stuff, and if it had been spyware I may have been pwned buy it too (this was atleast 2yrs ago). I also wanted some more features for my browsing and was curious to see if it lived up to it's huge user hype.

I'll setup linux ethier on older machines to make use of them or if someone needs an operating system for free (this would be good, given that software piracy is infact ilegal, I mean sure you can burn someone a copy of windows, but then they can be locked out of updates and such and get pwned by a security flaw in some software, unless of course I showed them some good stuff to use as an alternative, but in the end it is there choice weather or not to use it, it's not like I would be sayying "USE THIS OR DIE", i'd jsut say "I'd think it would be good if you were to use this program, give it a try and see if you like it"), also keep in mind that boths linux distros and windows have there handy uses and features over one another, and to enjoy linux to it's full you'd have to have some decent know how on linux to make full use of it.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
The fact that the browser is more or less integrated into the OS wouldn't be that bad if...

EVERY SINGLE PERSON USING WINDOWS DIDN'T RUN IT FROM AN ADMINISTRATOR ACCOUNT

Running a program that connects to untrusted networks, downloads code/script, and parses (and sometimes executes) it locally as a root-level/admin user is NOT a good idea... lol.

Unfortunately, running as a non-admin user and elevating privileges temporarily for installing/running certain applications isn't streamlined in Windows XP or <, but will be (supposedly) in Vista. Just another poor design decision on Microsoft's part... they've been putting out operating systems for 21 years and are still catching up with the basic features UNIX had in the early 1970's.

But yeah, even though Microsoft are generally complete morons when it comes to security (and alot of other things), blaming them because you get virii/*wares isn't really an accurate accusation. You're the one choosing to run their OS, you're responsible to keep it up to date and running smooth.

If you don't like it, run something else. I do.

&lt;/rant&gt;

find me one program that does not have a glitch
Here you go:
Code:
#include &lt;stdio.h&gt;

int main()
{
    printf("No exploits here k\n");
    return 0;
}

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Here's the deal. P2P programs allow you to download massive amounts of data from other users over a network. The flaw with this, however, is that people like to upload files that appear to be one thing, but turn out to be something completely different (i.e. viruses).

Here's where my ranting begins. Most P2P programs will not execute a file after it is finished downloading (by default, anyway), so you are in absolutely no danger. Having a virus on your computer will not harm you in the least. It is not until the file is executed that it is allowed to start taking action. For those of you who claim that you get 5000 viruses a day, well, you're stupid. If you're stupid enough to open the "suspicious" files that you download, then you deserve to get whatever the result for the file would be.

Just wanted to clear this up...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom