IRC, Proxy Servers and The Man

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
My university's blocked certain ports so I can't connect/use a lot of programs. I tried to download the 3DMark06 torrent in the other thread and they've blocked BitTorrent. They've blocked IRC and AIM because files can be shared through them (yet MSN remains). Now I can't change the ports because only the network administrator for the whole university (well over 2000 computers) can. However I managed to get AIM working by connecting to a proxy server so I was wondering if it's possible to do something similar with the other problematic programs?

Any help would be much appreciated.

ESF Head Team Mapper
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🍂 Regular
Best answers
for IRC, probably try to connect through a BNC server? dunno >_>

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yep, BNC is the way to go. Should work if you get a friend to run JBouncer or some other program. Obviously you'd need someone who's always on, or some other box running it.

-Karrde-

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If youre using Azureus for BT, you can change the port. If theyve simply blacklisted that port, it should work as a workaround.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
Most IM clients (aim, msn, icq, etc.) can use Socks4/5 proxies, so you can probably use 1 proxy for all of them.

Just have a friend outside your uni run one on a spare boxen or something.

My school blocks IRC and everything too, I SSH (port 22) into my linux gibson at home and use that to chat on IRC. Doubt you have access to a linux/unix/bsd/mac box though. :p

Fumoffu!
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
First download the Your-Freedom client and install it, register an account on their website (all for free, takes an hour to sync to all their servers) and use the client to connect to one of their servers which acts as a remote gateway for all your traffic via the client. Use the client to setup a local proxy server on a port, and then download and use SocksCap to make use of that proxy and run programs like your IRC client and whatever else you want. Now the only traffic that your computer is sending to the remote host on the internet is through the http/https port and that host redirects the packets to the correct destination using the correct ports.

If you need help figuring out the above two programs, Google is your best friend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom