Intels 45nm "Penryn" and ATI/AMDS New Catalyst Driver set.

Best answers
"Intel's 45nm CPUs might get here sooner than later

Sources inside Intel have confirmed the company recently received the taped-out 45nm Penryn processor. Reports from the ensuing champagne toast claim the first Penryn boot was capable of booting Windows.

Even though the processor is labeled as "A0" silicon, or first revision, the successful boot is a huge milestone and bonus for Intel. Reports of operational first-run tape-outs are few and far in-between, especially in the CPU industry.

Penryn, the 45nm optical-shrink of the Core architecture, was prepped for tape-out in late November, and returned to the Intel development team just a few weeks ago.

The early tape-out may even have beneficial consequences further down the line. Any early progress will pull the launch date in several weeks, though Intel has not publicaly stated a target date for launch. The latest Intel roadmaps claim Penryn is simply a "late 2007" processor."

Origional Source: http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=5657

Looks like AMD is going to be playing catch up to Intel for the next year or 2.
Sad really, I enjoyed the competition in the Pentium 3 coppermine days.

"First ATI Catalysts of the year

AMD has released the first set of ATI Catalyst drivers of 2007, bumping the new version number up to 7.1. The new drivers resolve issues with game titles Desperados 2, Rome: Total War, Sniper Elite and Splinter Cell Double Agent, as well as fixing the error when launching X-29 applications.

The new Catalysts also allow DirectX Video Acceleration (DXVA) for video playback when CrossFire mode is enabled.

There are still a small list of known issues affecting games Battlefield 2 and KOTOR II, and enabling CrossFire may still result in display corruption being noticed when playing a DVD or media clip using either WinDVD 7, Windows Media Player or PowerDVD 6. As with other recent ATI Catalyst driver releases, this version only supports AMD ATI Radeon 9500 and higher products including Radeon Xpress X1150 and 200 series chipsets.

The latest Catalysts are available for Windows XP, Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 and Windows XP Professional x64."

Origional Source: http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=5679

Good news for ATI Radeon users, If you dont use Omega, or NGHO Modified drivers, Its a good time to update them.

I'm still waiting on a decent driver set from ATI and Nvidia for use with vista,
The beta drivers from both companies are buggy as Mc' Hell!

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I was reading the news on Penryn yesterday, nice to hear that's it's been taped-out :). I might give the latest ATI drivers a whirl later on my 9600pro.

Also of other news lately, it seems AMD is developing it's new DTX form factor.
AMD today announced the company is developing a new small form factor standard. The new form factor, dubbed DTX, is AMD’s attempt to unify the various proprietary small form factors currently in use. DTX will be an open industry standard available to all case, motherboard and system manufacturers, but will not be limited to AMD-based products.

There will be two DTX standards available -- DTX and mini-DTX. The current DTX specification will only define a few requirements, the primary of which are motherboard mounting points and keep-out areas. Alternative specifications, like Micro-BTX, have strict guidelines for everything from airflow regulation to legacy I/O definitions.

AMD claims the consumer market needs a small form factor standard for the following reasons:

* Electricity cost savings
* Take up less space for both practical and aesthetic purposes
* Enables systems that are quiet
* Do not generate excessive heat

The enterprise clients need a small form factor for the following reasons:

* Lower energy bills to help reduce operating costs
* Enables differentiated and competitive solutions
* Smaller, sleeker form factors take up less space in offices and cubicles and are designed to operate quietly

DTX falls between the current Micro-ATX and Mini-ITX standards. DTX motherboards will measure in at 200mm by 244mm compared to the 170mm by 170mm footprint of Mini-ITX motherboards. MicroATX motherboards measure 244mm by 244mm.

Mini-DTX will initially target sub-6 liter enclosures and support processors with TDPs up to 35 watts. The footprint of Mini-DTX motherboards will be 200mm x 170mm -- just a tad wider than Mini-ITX motherboards.

While there are already plenty of other standards on the market such as ATX, Mini-ITX and BTX, AMD’s goal with DTX is greater flexibility and lower costs. Greater flexibility is achieved by making DTX motherboards backwards-compatible with ATX and Micro-ATX. Lower costs will be addressed with DTX due to the clever sizing of DTX motherboards. Most manufacturers are able to produce two standard ATX motherboard PCBs per PCB panel, a manufacturer can now cut four DTX or six Mini-DTX motherboards from the same panel.

There will be room for two expansion slots on DTX motherboards. No constraints have been set for the expansion slot configuration, which leaves manufacturers to decide which slots are needed. An ExpressCard expansion slot is also planned for the DTX form factor.

Expect AMD to release the final DTX specification later this quarter. It is unknown when or if manufacturers will produce systems and components based around the DTX standard, but several motherboard and enclosure manufacturers have already announced DTX products will appear in their 2007 roadmaps.
http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=5648
Hopefully it's not something that will die or be rarely seen like when Intel developed their BTX form factor.

Best answers
A simple question, Why the hell has Overlord been banned?
Had a pleasant surprise tonight, after logging off battle.net, And logged onto MSN to find he added me. And that he had been banned.
He is probably the best person for solving tech related questions, And is a valuable tool.

And new Hard Drives are just on tha' Horizon:

"PQI announces 64GB SATA Flash SSD drive... again

While companies like Samsung , SanDisk and RiTek have been touting their 32GB Flash SSDs which feature Parallel ATA (PATA) interfaces, PQI has upstaged the companies by (re)announcing a 64GB Flash SSDs with both PATA and Serial ATA (SATA) interfaces.

We first saw PQI's 64GB Flash SSDs at Computex in June. At the time, PQI said that the drives would be shipping in August. Well, August came and went and not a peep was heard from PQI.

With the competition starting to heat up in this sector, PQI has stepped up its efforts to get its Flash SSDs in gear. PQI's 2.5" Turbo SATA SSD will be available in capacities up to 64GB and will have a maximum transfer rate of 100MB/sec.

The SATA design also makes the drive more attractive to notebook OEMs. SATA has high penetration in the notebook sector and has effectively been shutting out PATA hard drives. With the smaller cable size, PQI's SATA solution becomes a more attractive offering than the competition.

Pricing and availability is not yet known for the 64GB SATA Flash SSD, but hopefully PQI doesn't leave us hanging like it did when it first announced the drives."

Origional Link: http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=5688

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Pemalite said:
A simple question, Why the hell has Overlord been banned?
Had a pleasant surprise tonight, after logging off battle.net, And logged onto MSN to find he added me. And that he had been banned.
He is probably the best person for solving tech related questions, And is a valuable tool.
Accumulating a massive amount of warnings and not changing his attitude. Not to mention a fair share of faulty information. But, that's another time and place, i.e. not this thread.

Oh, and please don't double post, Pemalite.

G-Bear
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
It's nice all the tech updates, but I rather use sites like adtech, hardoc and tweakers.net.

Best answers
I only do it to fill in free time, And Dailytech is owned by Anandtech :)
And others who aren't associated with those websites can leave a comment or 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom