Installing ESF 1.3 Open Beta dedicated server

Best answers
First of all let me inform you that it is not that hard to set it up, but it takes a bit of time, so I'm writing this tutorial to save time for all of you. :)

INSTALLING ESF 1.3 OPEN BETA AS DEDICATED SERVER​

1.) Download HLDS: http://storefront.steampowered.com/download/hldsupdatetool.exe

2) Install HLDS : Double-click on the hldsupdatetool.exe and install it on C:\HLDS (Installing it into HLDS folder in your C: directory is recommended, but installing it in other directory is also supported)

3) Make a shortcut to hlds.exe and add the following command in the command line: -command update -game valve -dir .
It should look like this: "C:\HLDS\hlds.exe" -command update -game valve -dir .
Name this shortcut to Update Half-Life.lnk

4) Download Half-Life: Downloading HL1 is vital, since ESF is a Half-Life mod, so it's depends on HL1. You can accomplish it by running the shortcut you just created. (Update Half-Life.lnk)

5) Download ESF 1.3 Open Beta: http://halflife2.filefront.com/file/Earths_Special_Forces_Open_Beta_Final_Release;93499

6) Install ESF 1.3 Open Beta: Double click on ESForces.v1.3.OPENBETA.FINAL.exe that you just downloaded from the previous step. Install it on where you installed HLDS (it will create a esf_openbeta folder automatically) - (DO NOT INSTALL IT IN THE VALVE FOLDER - IT WONT WORK THAT WAY). Wait while it finishes installing then press OK to finish the downloader.

7) Make the server workable: Since the last Novembers GoldSrc engine's new update, HL1 based mods now requires steam_appid.txt in order to work. Just copy steam_appid.txt from valve folder to esf_openbeta.

8) Start ESF dedicated server: In order to do that, you must have to create another shortcut for hlds.exe, name it Start ESF.lnk. Go to it's properties and add to its commandline: -game esf_openbeta +maxplayers x1 -port x2.
It should look like this: "C:\HLDS\hlds.exe" -game esf_openbeta +maxplayers x1 -port x2

NOTE:
x1 = maxplayers number: eg. (24 will open a 24 playerslot server, 5 will open a 5 playerslot server, and so on)
x2 = the port number you want to open the server on (must be opened and portforwarded) - tutorial is found at http://www.portforward.com for the most of the routers.
You dont need -port x2 if you want to host it on the default port (27015)
You also have to make hlds.exe connectable by allowing the port you selected with your firewall, so that others can join it.
And finally don't forget to invite your players on it.

I hope you like my tutorial, and if you want it so bad, I could post some pics too..

Cheers, Jaden Korn

Best answers
I am very sorry for the necro, but I would really like to setup a dedicated server for the beta and am having trouble with it. I've been trying all day to no avail so as a last resort I made an account and necroed a year old thread, all for you mr stupid esf open beta >:O
I cannot find the HLDS.exe in the folder after I used the HldsUpdateTool.exe, so I don't see how I can go any farther with this tutorial. If anyone can help please do.

Once again I am very sorry for the necro, I just really enjoy your mod and would like to have a server on the beta.

Edit: I feel like an idiot now ._. I just made it work...

Last edited:
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
This is a legit necro, you were trying to find help to set up a server through this guide. Even better that you managed to fix your problem yourself, saves us some trouble helping you. :p Just kidding. Now, the final step you need to do, is stay on these forums or we'll come and haunt you.

Best answers
I have many online communities with responsibilites though D:

Edit: D: The server doesn't show up on the list, and on the actual server window it says playesr 0/1... I set it to 6 players max.

Edit2: YEA IT WORKS NOW, just a warning it may be a little laggy as I am running it off my home computer...

Last edited:
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
First of all let me inform you that it is not that hard to set it up, but it takes a bit of time, so I'm writing this tutorial to save time for all of you. :)

INSTALLING ESF 1.3 OPEN BETA AS DEDICATED SERVER​

1.) Download HLDS: http://storefront.steampowered.com/download/hldsupdatetool.exe

2) Install HLDS : Double-click on the hldsupdatetool.exe and install it on C:\HLDS (Installing it into HLDS folder in your C: directory is recommended, but installing it in other directory is also supported)

3) Make a shortcut to hlds.exe and add the following command in the command line: -command update -game valve -dir .
It should look like this: "C:\HLDS\hlds.exe" -command update -game valve -dir .
Name this shortcut to Update Half-Life.lnk

4) Download Half-Life: Downloading HL1 is vital, since ESF is a Half-Life mod, so it's depends on HL1. You can accomplish it by running the shortcut you just created. (Update Half-Life.lnk)

5) Download ESF 1.3 Open Beta: http://halflife2.filefront.com/file/Earths_Special_Forces_Open_Beta_Final_Release;93499

6) Install ESF 1.3 Open Beta: Double click on ESForces.v1.3.OPENBETA.FINAL.exe that you just downloaded from the previous step. Install it on where you installed HLDS (it will create a esf_openbeta folder automatically) - (DO NOT INSTALL IT IN THE VALVE FOLDER - IT WONT WORK THAT WAY). Wait while it finishes installing then press OK to finish the downloader.

7) Make the server workable: Since the last Novembers GoldSrc engine's new update, HL1 based mods now requires steam_appid.txt in order to work. Just copy steam_appid.txt from valve folder to esf_openbeta.

8) Start ESF dedicated server: In order to do that, you must have to create another shortcut for hlds.exe, name it Start ESF.lnk. Go to it's properties and add to its commandline: -game esf_openbeta +maxplayers x1 -port x2.
It should look like this: "C:\HLDS\hlds.exe" -game esf_openbeta +maxplayers x1 -port x2

NOTE:
x1 = maxplayers number: eg. (24 will open a 24 playerslot server, 5 will open a 5 playerslot server, and so on)
x2 = the port number you want to open the server on (must be opened and portforwarded) - tutorial is found at http://www.portforward.com for the most of the routers.
You dont need -port x2 if you want to host it on the default port (27015)
You also have to make hlds.exe connectable by allowing the port you selected with your firewall, so that others can join it.
And finally don't forget to invite your players on it.

I hope you like my tutorial, and if you want it so bad, I could post some pics too..

Cheers, Jaden Korn
this dont make sense!! :( :(!!!!!!!!!!!!

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
He can't condense it into five freaking sentences, though, can he? It takes time, and things that take time, usually require long instructions.

Best answers
Well I am/was a noob at making dedicated servers, so thats great. Also what doesn't make sense takhar?

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
makes sense now but my router isnt on the portforward thing, i realllyyy need help !!

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If you don't know how to operate your router, you probably shouldn't be hosting a server. Basically you just need to access the router's interface by giving it the required password and username, then go to the part of it that deals in virtual servers / port forwarding, and follow the instructions.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
If you don't know how to operate your router, you probably shouldn't be hosting a server. Basically you just need to access the router's interface by giving it the required password and username, then go to the part of it that deals in virtual servers / port forwarding, and follow the instructions.

that helped (Y) thanks :D, i'll try to do it now

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Note that you'll have to connect to the router first, but it has the IP (which you write into your internet browser's bar) on the back most of the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom