Installing Custom Brushes

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
This is a tutorial I recently created for the Origin forums, but I figured that I might as well post it here as well. Also, I had to link the last two images due to the ten image limit.

The first method is done directly through Photoshop:

On the vertical toolbar, make sure that you have the "Brush Tool" selected.

Now, under the menu bar, click the down arrow next to the brush icon:

A docked window should pop out:

To the far right of the docked window are two buttons. One is a circle with an arrow pointing right and the other is a piece of paper with the bottom left corner being folded over. Click on the one with the arrow pointing to the right. A menu should appear:

Now, click on "Load Brushes..." from the menu:

This window should pop up:

As you can see, I'm a very disorganized person. Either way, all you need to do now is navigate to where the custom brush is located, load it, and it should appear here (you might need to scroll down):

That concludes the first method.

Now, the second method is done through your desktop:

Take the brush you want to install, copy/cut & paste it into the following directory:

C:\Documents and Settings\[User Name]\Application Data\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS3\Presets\Brushes

Replace [User Name] with your user name for your operating system.

Now, just open up Photoshop and once again click the down arrow next to the brush icon underneath the menu bar. Now, click the circle with the arrow pointing right and the new brush will be listed here:

http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/6755/62406039sq3.jpg

Click on the newly installed brush and this warning message should pop up:

http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/3035/untitled8yi4.jpg

Clicking on "Ok" will remove all the current brushes loaded and replace them with the new set. Clicking on "Cancel" will cancel the operation. Clicking on "Append" will add the new brush set to the currently loaded brush set. If you click on "Ok" but later on you want to revert back to the original brush set, then go back to the menu where you selected the new brush from and select "Reset Brushes...".

Between the two methods I listed, I strongly recommend using the second one. The second method keeps things organized, and keeps you from loading way too many brushes at once that it becomes a struggle looking for a specific one.

That's it for this tutorial. I apologize for the poor wording, punctuation and grammar. I was in a rush to get this done so I can get around to doing other things.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm glad you tOok the time to cReate thIs, it's hopefully Gonna be helpIng maNy people.

There are no subliminal messages in this post.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
This should be pretty helpful for others, nice work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom