Install Folder Problem

Best answers
I have Steam and I have esf, but when I try to run esf, I get one of those requirements pages. I choose 'I agree'. Then I pick whether or not to install japanese voices, mp3's, steam menu music, and desktop icon. After making a decision, it looks for a folder to install into. The defualt is 'C:\Program Files\Half-Life\', with a 'browse' option next to it. I can also choose to go back or cancel, but 'install' is always grayed out. I have installed and run both Half life: Blue Shift and Half Life: Counter Strike, yet there is no folder the game will accept to install into.

Sorry for the lengthy description, but I'm trying to be thorough. Any ideas? I have Steam downloaded and my computer is pretty fast, so I don't think it's a hardware problem.

C: \Program Files\Half-Life\
not intended to be a smily

Last edited by a moderator:
Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
ESF will NOT work with any game other than Half-Life 1

1. Download Steam.

2. Run the .exe file you just downloaded to install Steam and let it update completely. You will need your CD-Key from the back of your Half-Life 1 case.

3. When Steam is finished updating, turn it on.

4. Under the "Games" selection in the Steam toolbar, select "Activate a product on Steam..." and input your CD-Key.

5. Once your CD-Key is authenticated, download Half-Life 1 from Steam and let it update completely.

6. Once that is done, run Half-Life 1 once. If you don't run it at least once, you will not be able to install ESF

7. Download ESF v1.2.3 full installer.

8. Run the installer.

9. It will point to the correct directory for you, so just hit install. The directory should look somewhat like this :
C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\Your Account\half-life\esf

10. ESF should now appear in your games list.

11. Double-click and enjoy!

If you are still having trouble please refer to the Frequently Asked Questions sticky.
Thanks to Karrde for this information.
This'll answer your questions.

Best answers
but I checked online - isn't Counter Strike Half Life 1?

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
Not really, no. Counter-Strike is a standalone game now and no longer requires Half-Life.

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
Nope. You need Half-Life 1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom