in the market for a new tv, halp

β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
my current TV is a 32' SDTV, and the sound and picture are just fine, but recently a high pitched squeal has started to come from the top of the television, I propped a small book under it to put it at a slight angle and the noise stopped, but its not very attractive =D.

I wanted a HDTV at a comparable size to this one, Im looking at either a 26' screen or a 32' depending on what i can get for how much green I have, but i hear horror stories of images being burned on screens or ghosting, Im not so sure this is still a problem but at the same time, I dont want to drop 600-700 bucks on a piece of **** TV.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5663667

sold out online, but they have alot of them in-store, it is the first one that caught my eye, its fairly affordable and just reading the product tags its just about as good as the other ones walmart carries.

are there any big flaws to this television that a "non-tv smart guy" would miss? I dont know jack crap about TVs.

sub

πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Are you still jobless? Probably not the best time to be thinking about buying a T.V. if so...

β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
thats true, and a good point but i did just have a birthday, so i have some extra cash floating about, my stepfather is going to try to get me on out at the quarry where he works and thats just a few weeks away.

so i got that covered, for now at least.

btw thanks for ruining my good mood ass =/

sub

πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Don't call me an ass. I'm trying to ****ing help you. You should in no way shape or form be spending that money. Save it for when you need it, you don't want to regret wasting it later.

MC

πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
I agree with Sub. You would be better off waiting until you get a job before you start throwing cash around.

As for the television, what are you going to have hooked up to it? The television itself seems fine, though it's usually when you start hooking stuff up that problems arise.

β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
dvd player/dish network thingy, xbox 360, and my ps2 if theres room.

i was just kind of worried about the 720p 1080i stuff, which i have no idea what it means.

i should clarify though, the ass comment was a tad sarcastic =D

MC

πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
"720p" and "1080i" is basically the video resolution. The number "720" and "1080" is the number of vertical lines going across the screen. If I recall correctly, the larger the number, the smaller each vertical line is. Following the number is the method of how the vertical lines are drawn on the screen - "p" stands for Progressive scan and "i" stands for Interlace. Interlace involves the redrawing of odd-number lines then even number lines. While progressive scan redraws all the lines one after the other (if I recall correctly).

In terms of quality, I don't think there was much of a difference between 720p and 1080i.

βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
I think 1080i is for people who watch the discovery channel, or sports. Anything else, a progressive scan is probably what you want.

For example, old CRT monitors are interlaced, so use your imagination and compare.

Retired Forum Staff
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
I think 1080i is for people who watch the discovery channel, or sports. Anything else, a progressive scan is probably what you want.
There's virtually no difference between 1080i and 1080p for an LCD/plasma under fifty inches.

Delta said:
For example, old CRT monitors are interlaced, so use your imagination and compare.
PC monitors are inherently progressive.

Wikipedia's article on "interlaced" said:
The industry quickly abandoned this practice, and for the rest of the decade all monitors included the assurance that their stated resolutions were "non-interlace". This experience is why the PC industry today remains against interlace in HDTV, and lobbied for the 720p standard.

Former Forcepit Member :(
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
i suggest you look on amazon.co.uk you can get some on there where you can rig your pc up to it

sub

πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
This will be my last post in this topic.

Please, for the sake of helping yourself, hold off on this T.V. until you're sure you will have a steady income that you can use to pay the bills with. That is all. Much love, and good luck.

Lost in space
Banned
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
sorry, but gotta agree with sub on this. save your money. if you need entertainment go to your local mall, super-glue a quarter to the ground in a crowded area, and then just watch.

hours of entertainment. seriously, though, dont spend it.

β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
-_- ill simplify it for you.

my current television is broken, and I need a new one.

I made a thread asking for advice on purchasing one, not to call out all of the closet "dr.phils" on the forum.

i know you are trying to help and all, but I need a new television, if you want to help me save money find me a cheap one. I WILL have an income in the following weeks/months, guaranteed. it wont be alot but it WILL be enough for the necessities, I can afford to buy myself a new TV, I just need to find one I like.

Retired Forum Staff
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
NewEgg.com has by far the best deals for LCDs/plasmas. They're orders of magnitude cheaper than places like Best Buy/Circuit City/etc. I saw a 52" LCD for $1400 the other day.

πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
NewEgg.com has by far the best deals for LCDs/plasmas. They're orders of magnitude cheaper than places like Best Buy/Circuit City/etc. I saw a 52" LCD for $1400 the other day.
Sorry, but I'm just bumping in.

what's the typical / average cost for say, a 52" LCD?

πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
That's my TV. :O

It's awesome, no complaints whatsoever. And I think it's cheaper over here.

β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Does it have to be an HDTV?
not necessarily, but its getting harder and harder to find SDTVs in stores, HD will soon become the standard and if im going to fork out money for a new TV, I dont want it to outdated right out of the box.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
You can get decent sized for 400 with most of the bells and whistles. Shop around, and most of all, SEE the television you buy. It's not like CRT screens, these things are not created equal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom