Import HL1 .smd into maya 2008 / 3ds max 9?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah, I got both programs and I want to do this for animating. I was wondering, how can I import the mesh / skeleton and animate it?

Also, what do you prefer to animate with, Maya or 3ds max?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think Maya is technically better. I played around with it a long time ago and liked it more than 3DS Max. Never tried to make an HL model with it though.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Maya is simplier and almost as good as 3ds Max. So I recommend you Maya. For the other thing, have no idea/keine Ahnung/nemam pojma/no sabe nada.

whereswarren (King_Vegeta)
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Maya is simplier and almost as good as 3ds Max. So I recommend you Maya. For the other thing, have no idea/keine Ahnung/nemam pojma/no sabe nada.

No lukyas, Max is simplier and almost as good as Maya. Also Maya is the better animating tool, especially for high end professional work

Best answers
How do you install plugins?
For the hl2 plugin you have to go the the maya folder in "your documents" and put the scripts in the scripts folder and the shelves and icons in the shelves and icon's folder.Then you have to restart maya and you'll see that you can now import/export smd's.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Alright, so I got the skeleton in, but for some reason it imported him completely horizontally.

edit: also, why is the framerate so god damned high? :(

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Alright, so I got the skeleton in, but for some reason it imported him completely horizontally.

edit: also, why is the framerate so god damned high? :(
Isn't the framerate supposed to be high? I mean the more fps the smother the image, and just rotate it, it's probably cuz it's imported thats why it's horizontally. Then you can just rotate it back at the end. Then again I'm not shure if that works in animating, since ingame the model may be horizontaly like the animation.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
no, i mean, it played the entire idle animation in .1 second. Fixed it though.

Just animated a part, and noticed I have to animate each part of the arm. This is gonna be harder than I thought :D

whereswarren (King_Vegeta)
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You can create controllers man. Like tabs that gradually affect limbs sets and ****, I don't know too much about it my self but it does make life a whole lot easier, apparently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom