Impending Hard Drive failure or Virus?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Running Windows X64 bit
Nvidia Geforce 7300 GS
160gb Western Digital Hard Drive
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+

The past two days my computer has been acting really weird. Three days ago, it wouldn't move past the initial boot up screen apparently because I had USB mini-sd card reader plugged.

Yesterday when I was booting it up, before it got to the windows load screen , it said there was disk read error and that I should restart. I did that, and then it told me that it was missing the windows/system32/ folder and that I should insert the windows xp disc and hit "r" to repair the problem. I restarted again, and this time it loaded into windows without a problem.

I installed AVG, Avast, and Adaware yesterday. I found a couple viruses, cleaned off apparently all the adware, and shutdown last night thinking the problem was fixed, except that this morning I had the same issue again.

Any ideas on what I can do?

tl;dr:
3 days ago: SD card reader caused computer to not boot
2 days ago: Disk read error, (restarted) then missing windows/system32 folder at startup, before the computer got into windows. Installed virus software
Today: Same problem as yesterday.

Best answers
I had that problem. I put my XP CD in and had to repair windows.

Try scanning with nod32?
AVG isnt detecting many viruses for me too.

Are you dual booting another OS? My problem cropped up when I messed with the boot screens using Tune UP Utilities

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
No, I don't have another Os booting up, but I'll try Nod32. I also try repairing windows next time as well.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Try checking the physcial connections and making sure that the sata plugs are seated properly (or pata cables is you still have them)

Best answers
I had the same problem with my 60 gig Maxtor drive. It was failure...

Does your hard drive start to beep sometimes while booting? Thats what mine did before it failed.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
@Cuc: I still have PATA cables. ><; They look like they're seated properly, but I'll check them again after I shut down my computer (I'm trying to get as much stuff backed up in case this is my last day with it)

@Walmart_Security: It doesn't beep, but I might not have the case speaker hooked up to the board. I'll check it out.

Also, I ran a scan with Nod32, and it picked up a whole bunch of infected files that AVG missed, so those might have been the problem. I'll likely find out tommorow.

Thanks guys :)

It's working now! *knock on wood*

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom