Immediate Playstation 3 Annoyance

Best answers
I am on fire right now. My girlfriend(not litteraly) bought a Playstation 3 a few hours ago(dont know how the hell she found one and its a 60GB at that). So shes all excited and calls me over. I make it over there, to find out that she also has a new " Sony WEGA Widescreen HDTV " as well. So we open the Playstation 3 up and found ourselves abit confused at first; I always thought that " HDMI " cables would output HQ Video and Audio on its own, without the assitance of more cables. But for some reason, her HDTV wouldn't do either, with just the HDMI cable plugged inside the HDMI slot. So we plug in the standard AV cables that came with the console as well--a picture came up but image certainly wasn't sharp. We checked the display settings only to find out that the resolution was 480i. So we clicked the HDMI icon which I figured would change the resolution or atleast detect the HDMI cable. It basically went to a black screen for 30 seconds, and reappeared on the same screen is was before. We just couldnt seem to get anything working properly nor did we understand what to do. My suggestion was that we go to Best Buy tommorow and have them demostrate everything in person to us. She didn't have that kinda patience and so we decided to head back to the place where she bought the HDMI cable(Radio Shack).

So we get in there, and she's explaining the situation and there laughing at us like we didnt know what we were talking about(this was already pissing me off). But things really took off when she told him 480i was the only resolution we were getting. This guy not only tells us that 480i is the only resolution Playstation 3 can do, but that 480i is the best resolution. Now I might not be the most tech savy girl around, but I have read up enough on HDTV's, to know that even 480p is better then 480i. So I call him out on it, and he's telling me I dont know what im talking about. He ask me if I even know what the I and P stands for--I tell him Progressive-scan(I suppose the scan part wasnt needed) and Interlaced. He says lucky guess, and still tells me that 480i is the only and best, resolution the PS3 can do. Then he proceeds to tell me that women make these mistakes all the time. At that point, I was ready to wrap that damn HDMI cable around his neck and strangle his ass. But my friend could see how upset I was getting and we just left.

But other then that, we really need some help. We do still plan on going to Best Buy tommorow, but from the looks of things, I dont think we are doing anything wrong. Can anyone help us out ? I didnt think this thing would be this hard to get up in going in the best quality. But we might be doing something wrong, and I figured I ask around here to see if anyone has had any similar experiences.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I am on fire right now. My girlfriend(not litteraly) bought a Playstation 3 a few hours ago(dont know how the hell she found one and its a 60GB at that). So shes all excited and calls me over. I make it over there, to find out that she also has a new " Sony WEGA Widescreen HDTV " as well. So we open the Playstation 3 up and found ourselves abit confused at first; I always thought that " HDMI " cables would output HQ Video and Audio on its own, without the assitance of more cables. But for some reason, her HDTV wouldn't do either, with just the HDMI cable plugged inside the HDMI slot. So we plug in the standard AV cables that came with the console as well--a picture came up but image certainly wasn't sharp. We checked the display settings only to find out that the resolution was 480i. So we clicked the HDMI icon which I figured would change the resolution or atleast detect the HDMI cable. It basically went to a black screen for 30 seconds, and reappeared on the same screen is was before. We just couldnt seem to get anything working properly nor did we understand what to do. My suggestion was that we go to Best Buy tommorow and have them demostrate everything in person to us. She didn't have that kinda patience and so we decided to head back to the place where she bought the HDMI cable(Radio Shack).

So we get in there, and she's explaining the situation and there laughing at us like we didnt know what we were talking about(this was already pissing me off). But things really took off when she told him 480i was the only resolution we were getting. This guy not only tells us that 480i is the only resolution Playstation 3 can do, but that 480i is the best resolution. Now I might not be the most tech savy girl around, but I have read up enough on HDTV's, to know that even 480p is better then 480i. So I call him out on it, and he's telling me I dont know what im talking about. He ask me if I even know what the I and P stands for--I tell him Progressive-scan(I suppose the scan part wasnt needed) and Interlaced. He says lucky guess, and still tells me that 480i is the only and best, resolution the PS3 can do. Then he proceeds to tell me that women make these mistakes all the time. At that point, I was ready to wrap that damn HDMI cable around his neck and strangle his ass. But my friend could see how upset I was getting and we just left.

But other then that, we really need some help. We do still plan on going to Best Buy tommorow, but from the looks of things, I dont think we are doing anything wrong. Can anyone help us out ? I didnt think this thing would be this hard to get up in going in the best quality. But we might be doing something wrong, and I figured I ask around here to see if anyone has had any similar experiences.
What a pure jackass, to underestimate you, because of your sex, and this guy is at a job, he could have at least been considerate of customers, and treat them with respect, anyways, the situation that you and your friend are in is kinda "***", but I hope going to Best Buy solves the problem.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
That is why I never shop at Radio Shack. It's overpriced, the people don't know a whole lot about what they're selling, and Best Buy completely puts them to shame. Take the cable back, and print off an HDTV information guide to give that asshat some light reading. You could also look into getting the guy in **** for talking down to you because you're a woman. Most employers don't appreciate their employees doing stuff like that.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
That's what you get for being promiscuous. All in all though, did you read the Ps3 Manual? You might need a specific brand of cable that only sony makes.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The manual, Kama? The manual is for n00bs. Real women figure it out on their own.

Best answers
lol like Kama said prob have to buy the cable off sony themself, money grabbing bishes

2D/3D Artist
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
They said 480i is the only resolution the PS3 has?
If it's not true then there must be something written about it in the manual.

If you could show them that it would make them look like a bunch of fools too.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You should have totally asked for the manager.

That's really lousy that they treated you that way because you're a girl...honestly, where I'm from, you would have been treated like royalty once you knew what the P and I stand for.

Either way Sony probably makes the cable, as I imagine the end that has to go into the PS3 has an odd ending to it.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
maybe your tv just isnt like... game playable

i dont know **** but on bigger tv's the resoultions sometimes arent as good as the standard ones.

i've also heard that sometimes you need special "HD" cables for some things, like the 360 for instance

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
1080p is the best resolution, iirc, and 1080i is resampled to fit that resolution's specs.

Eon

TeeHee
Banned
Best answers
You should file a formal complaint against the employee, they're supposed to help customers, not ridicule them.

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah, I would've had the Mall supervisor breathing down that idiots neck.

That was sexual harassment or prejudice, I believe.

I'm sure Radioshack's customer policy, has a nice underlined section on it.

Best answers
Could you send me a link to your exact TV? Your problem might be that the composite and HDMI are both plugged in whereas you must unplug the composite when making the switch.

Or you have a monitor like mine where it can handle different inputs and you can toggle between each individual input.

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
People don't act like that unless they are provoked or offended in some way. People like that also get fired within a week of hiring. It doesn't even make sense that he'd mention your sex in a retail store in what sounds like the US, but I'll run with it.

I've heard all kinds of stories (on the internet of course) about weak cables giving you weak signals and cable quality having a lot to do with pictures quality, and having tried 2 different cheap cables on a PS3 and an HDTV, I can't see any difference. I have an old HDTV (Phillips 32 inch only supports 1080i) and a cheap $40 HDMI cable and it runs 1080i fine. It's possible that a really crappy cord could degrade that, but I haven't seen it happen. Worth a shot I guess.

Best answers
That's what you get for being promiscuous.
I see. That explains everything. Thank you. Kama sure is a *****....or is the word Karma ?..doesnt matter either way. ^_^

Anyway's, thank you to all who bothered to reply and your concern about the ordeal with the guy. I wasnt trying to draw any direct attention to the Radio Shack clerk. I just like to be detailed about everything. Im over that now. I have had similar indirect expereinces this year, and well, **** happens. Reporting is probably to much of a hassle anyway.

Good ideas. But I wont even bother. I really am over it now.
The manual, Kama? The manual is for n00bs. Real women figure it out on their own.
Exactly, though we both arent women yet lol. We did figure out that she was cheated out of an HDTV late last night. She claim to have asked repeatedly for one with a built-in-tuner(enough to annoy the seller) and we had found out that she didnt have that(not to mention the TV they sold her was floor model..eww). It was an hour before closing time so and she wasnt going to sleep until this was put to rest(she felt totally cheated). So we drove it back to " ABC Warehouse " and they replaced it with a different one(Samsung--I believe with an additional $50 -_- no refunds were allowed). However, we still had the same problem. So this morning, we did go to Best Buy, however, they said that we had to bring the Playstation 3 to them(they had one there in one of those demo booths or whatever) We live pretty far from Best Buy and we didnt feel like going back to get it(dont know why we only brought the HDMI cable). We had called before coming, and they had us write down all the inputs on back of the TV in an exact order of each row. Either way, the guy told us to wait and just get an " Component Video Cable "--which they didnt even have available yet. I guess we will take the PS3 out there tommorow; Either there or Circuit City. Until then, i'll check out these links posted.

Could you send me a link to your exact TV?
What size is the TV?
Im pretty sure this is the exact model we were replaced with.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-SLoNQpVq7iA/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?print=Y&g=148350&I=305TXR3079

I hope I dont go through this when I get mine. I sampled my Xbox 360 on it, and was blown away. It looks great. Everything is so easy. But this HDMI method is so troublesome. I guess buying one directly from Sony couldnt hurt. It just that after you pay $70 for a 12 ft cable--its not exactly in our interest to try another. But it might come down to that. I hope CC has some Component Video Cables though. It would make things so much easier.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
First off: Get vengence on that Radio Shack *****. If the Grinch taught me one thing, the true meaning of Christmas is VENGENCE!!!

Second off: Best buy isn't exactly the cream of the crop either, but its better than Radio Shack. It might not come as a surprise to some of you, but Radio Shack is actually notorious for having employees who don't know much about the products they sell. It's actually a rather big problem right now. If I were you, I'd go to a computer store or some other geek-infested place. Not only will you get a crash course on HDTVs, but you'll probably also be redirected to the best solution for the best prices (for retail, at least) in no time flat.

I'm not really HDTV savvy otherwise I'd help you out myself. I hope you have better luck at best buy, but if you don't get better help there, please consider my advice. I'm sure Circut City, Micro Center, or even Big Billy Joe's Computer, Kitchenware, and Pet Care Warehouse can give you some sort of valuable information.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom