Image Metrics

Force Pit Member
Best answers
woooow nice i'd love to see that in some video games. Or even movies.

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Wow, that's really cool.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Wow, so apparently it was used in the development of GTA IV for facial animations. That's neat.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Technology these ****ing days.

L

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
That ***** hurt my ears when she screamed.
Neat tech though, I noticed you have to put more effort into moving your lips for them to sync properly.

Best answers
That's FAN****ingTASTIC! Makes me want to get GTAIV just to witness this :O Or something similar like that. But if i'm not mistaken half Life 2 episodes use something like that, don't they?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
No, Valve does all of their own facial animation, I don't think they use third party software. Don't hold me to that though, I'm not sure.

Best answers
Ye, the way Valve did is, is to animate the mouth following certain sounds you make while talking. For example, when you say "Oh", you mouth makes this sort of shape: :eek:, thus Valve animated that shape. They then just wrote down the dialogues in the game and put that text into the renderer and the engine renders what mouth-animation is to be shown for each word/sound/character.

Not -that- different, but still different :)

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ermm, can't you install the lip synching program from Steam? As part of the SDK? It's different than this program though. But Valve made their own lip synching program. Also pretty neat. Though this one seems to have more vivid expressions. I was amazed by what Valve did. I am astonished by what they do here.

Best answers
Ermm, can't you install the lip synching program from Steam? As part of the SDK? It's different than this program though. But Valve made their own lip synching program. Also pretty neat. Though this one seems to have more vivid expressions. I was amazed by what Valve did. I am astonished by what they do here.
Yeah, what valve did was amazing, but this is just orgasmic >:D

L

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah, what valve did was amazing, but this is just orgasmic >:D
What VALVe did was for a video game, with low detail models and limited animations. This is high budget stuff for multipurpose media, if VALVe were wanting/needing to they could have continued and by now made something much greater.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
with low detail models and limited animations.
Have you actually played Half-Life 2? The models are far from low detail, especially for the year the game was released, and the animations are exquisite.

Best answers
That is good. At first I thought the model was real. They used the same technology for the movie "Beowulf". Eventhough the movie pretty much sucked the technology behind it was cool. It used infa-red lights to detect these little circle electrodes things that were applied to the face and they wore suits with these same circles on them for and the computer pretty much did the rest. It was also used in "The Polar Express" if I'm not mistaken.

L

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Have you actually played Half-Life 2? The models are far from low detail, especially for the year the game was released, and the animations are exquisite.
In comparison? Yeah, they're low.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, in demonstrations you kind of have to make things look as good as possible. In a video game, quality like that is over the top, bogs down performance. That's the trade-off. HL2 is fantastic in comparison because it manages to look and play amazingly with all of that running.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom