I'm so confused, can you a question about making maps for me please

Best answers
Ok, I'm trying to make a map (i know nothing about making them :p). I've read more then 15 tutorials and i'm still clueless, but i'm still going to try :).

Anyway, something is making me annoyed and i was wondering if you could simply answer 2 questions for me.

1. When i make a box, and then click on another tool the box dissapears. ARGHHHHH where does it go? And how do i get it back?

2. I can't find the monster entities anywhere, where are they located?

I'm still learning, but i'm trying. The help is appreciated :yes: ;D

*EDIT: Hmm.......i messed up on the Thread name it should be :

Can you answer some questions about making maps please..

Best answers
Thanks Epedemic, actually i have seen this tutorial already and it made no sense, but now there seems to be more pictures on the site, so it might help out now :) . Thanks alot.

ESF Head Team Mapper
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🍂 Regular
Best answers
its the same way like with the entity tool, select the size and position by dragging with the mouse in the 2d view and then press enter to create the block.
this is from my tutorial ... that should solve your problem with creating brushes ... :)
(and dont wonder about spelling/grammar errors in the tutorial ^^)

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The Half-Life monsters are all point-based entities.
Make one, right click on it in a 2D window and select Properties.
In the Class drop down menu, select one of the entities that begins with monster_.
For instance, the entity monster_barney is our lovable Barney, the security guard. :D

Best answers
May i ask another question? I put spawn points on the map, but i think i keep putting them outside the map, because when i go and run it, I appear in darkness and unable to move, how do i put things in my box? The tutorials are helping alot though :) :yes: . And thanks for all the help so far, i greatly appreciate it.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well when you make a room you shouldn't hollow the box, you should make all the faces separately. It makes working with it easier.
Just make sure you didn't put the partialy in wholely in the floor or something like that.

Best answers
O_O O_O wow what did i do??

I decided to start my map over, so i closed it, and opened a new one. First i placed the player_start entity, then i choose the texture, then i made a square using the block tool. However, instead of a square it makes this:

How did i do that? And how do i get rid of it, cause thats not how your tutorial shows it.

Best answers
You selected a prefab. On the right panel, under the categories dropdown, select primitives. Then under objects, select block.

Best answers
h ok, thx Sandrock. Alright! Last question (i promise!!!!) I'm done with the map (the one it helps you make in the tutorial. I set up the "Run Map" dialog box just as it says and shows. However when i run the map i get this message:

Testmap was not found on server.

How do i solve this? Thx :D :D

Best answers
Your compiled map is probably not being copied over to your esf/maps directory. Just copy over the compiled bsp and it should run fine.

Best answers
Originally posted by Sandrock
Your compiled map is probably not being copied over to your esf/maps directory. Just copy over the compiled bsp and it should run fine.
Hmm, when i save it i don't get a .bsp file, i get a .map file. Where is the Bsp?

Best answers
If you aren't getting a bsp file, that means your map isn't being compiled properly or at all. In the map editor, go to Tools, Options, and click the Build Programs tab. You need to enter the path to all the compile tools in that dialog. You also need to enter the path of your maps directory, etc. If all of that is filled in already, but you still aren't getting a bsp, then just post your compile log so I can check for any problems.

Simply saving the map and actually compiling it are different things.

Best answers
:( Ok, i got the map to run (yay :D). But now i'm having more trouble. everything is "out of the map" I seem to be putting them in right, they are above the ground in the 3D window, so how do i get the enitiys to stay in the map? (I know i said last question, but i was hoping to have it working by now :))

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom