Im looking to upgrade my computer and...

Best answers
I wanna know what you guys think. My current specs are as follows:
AMD Athlon XP1900+
768 Megs of Ram
GeForce FX 5600 256 Meg AGP

What I want to upgrade to:
AMD Althon 64 X2 3800+
768 Megs of Ram
...and the video card I am unsure of. I can get good discounts on ATI cards, but I wanted to get into some Linux and I heard that ATI isn't compleltely compatiable. Anyway, let me know what you think. :)

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You can always try a Live CD. Download an ISO and burn it onto a CD, then boot up from that CD in you'll be in Linux in minutes. The entire OS decompresses on the fly, and is run entirely off the CD; not a thing is changed on your existed hard drive(s).

Different people recommend different distros, so just try out a bunch and see what you like. Knoppix is a good one, but it's LiveCD only, there isn't a way to install it onto your HDD and make it your actual OS. I use BeatrIX myself.

I don't know if there's many compatibility problems with ATI cards. There shouldn't be many, but you'll always have problems with one thing or another. I know NVIDIA cards are usually supported well. That's the point of the LiveCD, really. To make sure your hardware is supported.

Make sure you get the 64-bit architecture whenever possible, if you're upgrading to that processor.

Best answers
Thanks for the info, I'm curently using Ubuntu Live CD right now to play around with Linux. My main problem is the video card, what do you guys recommend? PCI-E only of course.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If you have the money, I'd go with 7800GTX or maybe even only the GT ;). If not, can't go wrong with a 6800GT/X800XL.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
Make sure you REFORMAT and FORWARD YOUR PORTS after you install it, otherwise windows will be all like WTF and not use it or w/e you retards claim

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well that's always good (reformat part, don't quite get the ports part) when changing something like a motherboard, but I'm sure that just re-entering the cdkey for windows will suffice, if it feels it's been stolen.

Make sure to uninstall any previous drivers before changing the stuff out. Driver cleaner works well, as does the actual device manager.

Kurt said:
w/e you retards claim
Cool it down, Kurt. You're on your second warning from that last escapade.

Best answers
Kurt said:
Make sure you REFORMAT and FORWARD YOUR PORTS after you install it, otherwise windows will be all like WTF and not use it or w/e you retards claim
Yeah I learned that the hard way.

Anyway, why not just go for a whole gig of ram, why did you decide to stop at 768,? Just because you dont want to continue upgrading or what?

Please excuse me if this sounds like a dumb question, I haven't been thinking clearly lately.

Best answers
Thanks for the advice about cleaning up the drivers everyone.

To crashmann64: I did have a gig and a 256 stick died on me. hence my current 768.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
crashmann64 said:
ahh, okay then. How are you going to get all of this money though. that Athlon 64 X2 is at least $600 isn't it?
Some people find employment is a good way to get money. You could make that in 2 1/2 weeks no problem.

Best answers
Yeah I've been working tons this summer, banked myself quite a bit of overtime. Besides the mothboard and the chip will only be about $470. The 3800 X2 is inexpensive compared to the other chips.

Best answers
Really? only $470, i thought it would cost 500 for the processor itself, let alone the mobo. speaking of which, what kind are you getting?

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
Walmart Security said:
Yeah I learned that the hard way.

Anyway, why not just go for a whole gig of ram, why did you decide to stop at 768,? Just because you dont want to continue upgrading or what?

Please excuse me if this sounds like a dumb question, I haven't been thinking clearly lately.
You do realize I was making fun of Smith (because he doesn't know how to forward ports) and Tassadar (who claims that after installing anything, even a sound card, you should format), right? Hence the "whatever you retards claim" part.

After receiving a warning for posting links to more information about a topic that was being discussed, I realized how much I disdain this forum and the current moderation team (with some exceptions). So I really don't care, getting banned is a nice way to go out.

But I'm serious, when Mad_******Man goes to get anally-raped in the marines, and Smith ragequits for another entire week (and hopefully doesn't return), this place would return to its previous state.

Goodbye forever :cry: *cuts*

Eon

TeeHee
Banned
Best answers
Kurt said:
You do realize I was making fun of Smith (because he doesn't know how to forward ports) and Tassadar (who claims that after installing anything, even a sound card, you should format), right? Hence the "whatever you retards claim" part.

After receiving a warning for posting links to more information about a topic that was being discussed, I realized how much I disdain this forum and the current moderation team (with some exceptions). So I really don't care, getting banned is a nice way to go out.

But I'm serious, when Mad_******Man goes to get anally-raped in the marines, and Smith ragequits for another entire week (and hopefully doesn't return), this place would return to its previous state.

Goodbye forever :cry: *cuts*

kurr gets a warning and a two week ban. rhee.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Walmart Security said:
Really? only $470, i thought it would cost 500 for the processor itself, let alone the mobo. speaking of which, what kind are you getting?
Anywho... o_O. Quick search on newegg revealed $439. I'm sure you could probably get a lower price somewhere else. If you are buying a 30 dollar mobo, I'd seriously reconsider it D:.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom