I'm late to a party I've known about for 7 years...

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
...And everyone is gone.

All kidding aside, I've been following this game for a while, Finally got half life to play it.

But I am horribly bad even against the bots. Help would be appreciated. I'm usually on around 8 PM central time

The only Russian ESF fan
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
... w...w... wait..

Power Struggles are when 2 or more beams collide. Hold down the primary mouse button (left click) to try to over power the other beam.
Are we supposed to hold the button down, instead of clicking it rapidly?

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🥉Legacy Semifinalist
🎈 Advanced
Best answers
don't say you didn't know that?
ya actually it should be like that clicking faster but is not like that

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
don't say you didn't know that?
ya actually it should be like that clicking faster but is not like that
Nah it was meant to be holding down because rapid clicking tends to destroy mouse buttons, so it was set to holding down. Turbo also helps. And if you are in a PS and meet the required PL, you can actually transform. Just remember that to transform, you must not have turbo active.

The only Russian ESF fan
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Thanks, that's good to know, i guess...
after 5 years of breaking my mouse :)

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🥉Legacy Semifinalist
🎈 Advanced
Best answers
but it could be more interesting rapid clicking to win
cus you know good players gonna win all the time
and then change it for anyother key to beam struggle

Misanthropist
🌠 Staff
🌈 Beta Tester
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
RE Rapid Click

It is a game - a struggle based on the skills, stats and limitations of the players and their character class. It should have nothing to do with the quality of a persons hardware nor largely upon their ability to mash meaningless buttons at speed (both aspects that tend to even out and be the same across a population anyway).

Rapid button mashing offers no additional game design element - it only destroys your hardware and aggravates repetitive stress issues, whilst wasting your individual physical and mental energy. Press a button because it offers a focused and calculated advantage/function, not because your chances of success improve by mashing keys willy-nilly. Not only that, but it promotes the later use of auto-trigger macros and other forms of cheating/questionable play. The players role is to consider the best way to apply their strengths given their weaknesses and wield their ki and stamina accordingly. Use your head, not your rage-spam.

Thinking back to playing the older Budokai games where this very function was done by spinning the analog sticks in various situations, players of any skill level would find it just as easy. The person who won was usually the one paying more attention at the start of the sequence and got half a rotation extra in over the other player. Unless you were playing with someone 10 years your junior (likelier to happen online than in a living room), then it was always as simple a matter as a coin toss. You could get away with that in a game built as a loungeroom fighter, but this would be a retarded way of determining the outcome of power struggles in a game between such varying players with varying powerlevels.

How often did cannonfodder attacks actually prove successful finishers throughout DBZ? None, because rage-spamming is a futile approach to anything.

Last edited:
The only Russian ESF fan
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
What about Final?
Is it going to keep the current bs mechanic?

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🥉Legacy Semifinalist
🎈 Advanced
Best answers
just saying i wanted rapid clicking with all of those variables... power charge, power level, kind of beam... and actually i would like to rapid clicking just to feel i'm doing something like giving power instead of waiting holding left mouse button
and isn't like i never mash my keyboard playing esf... just with the chain swoop i do that, plus Q E F G T 123 of course when i found a good player, otherwise is just a slow and boring battle for me, like waiting the attack in slow motion
ya cheating... kinda same thing with swoop double tap applied to chain swoop, we already know ppl cheated with that using 1 tap instead of 2, and we can see a great advantage if the player is good
also we could "stop" or limit the cheat with a human limit of rapid clicking like 15clicks per second so even if you get 15clicks per second you need ki and other variables to win
i just consider rapid clicking like other variable but just to feel the beam struggle
but ok i'm not even a tester to say what is better so it's ok

Last edited:
Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
just saying i wanted rapid clicking with all of those variables... power charge, power level, kind of beam... and actually i would like to rapid clicking just to feel i'm doing something like giving power instead of waiting holding left mouse button
and isn't like i never mash my keyboard playing esf... just with the chain swoop i do that, plus Q E F G T 123 of course when i found a good player, otherwise is just a slow and boring battle for me, like waiting the attack in slow motion
ya cheating... kinda same thing with swoop double tap applied to chain swoop, we already know ppl cheated with that using 1 tap instead of 2, and we can see a great advantage if the player is good
also we could "stop" or limit the cheat with a human limit of rapid clicking like 15clicks per second so even if you get 15clicks per second you need ki and other variables to win
i just consider rapid clicking like other variable but just to feel the beam struggle
but ok i'm not even a tester to say what is better so it's ok
Actually the function of the mouse button is to burn extra KI for a boost on the beams struggle capability. Though im not sure if its just an added boost or a multiplier. It does burn up your KI faster and uses that as extra energy for the beam itself.

What about Final?
Is it going to keep the current bs mechanic?
Not if you are reffering to 1.2.3.

We are integrating a pump system to make power struggles more dynamic. The beams will no longer travel slowly from one person to the other, but will instead be pushed back and forth wildly. The idea is as follows.

When 2 beams collide they have a struggle potential variable based on yheir overall power, that gives them the initial momentum and movement. The player can then charge a "pump" and release it. It is essentially a second beam being charged and fired. The pump will travel along the beam to where the struggle is currently at. When the pump reaches the struggle it will add its own struggle potential to your side of the struggle. How much it adds depends on multiple factors. The type of beam used and the amount charged being the dominant. Meaning a fully charged pump on a kamehameha will have the same struggle potential as the beam itself. The struggle potential is also lost over time, so the further the pump has to travel the weaker it gets. This means that you have to evaluate the risk of letting the struggle get as close to you as possible before releasing the pump. Fire to slow and you get blown up, fire to fast and you waste some of the struggle potential. Ofcourse there is also a speed multiplier built in to the system. This means that the longer the struggle lasts, the faster it will get going, giving both parties less and less time to act and react.

NOT IN THE MANGA™
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I can already see people BSing 24/7 when (if) ESFF is released, lol.

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🌹 Regular Rosé
Best answers
Thas actually because you never bothered to RTFM ^^
You cant blame him, i too didnt read the manual at first i just rushed to install esf and play it and as a result i thought when the bar was on the red side i was winning because it gave the impression i was "pushing" the beam further to him cause the bar was on his side, so i could never figure out why i was still blowing up.
The more you know xd

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🌹 Regular Rosé
Best answers
Its not, im simply pointing out the fact that when I was a kid and excitement always got the best of me i didnt bother to read any manual whatsoever when i found out about esf, got into the action as fast as i could, probably what happenned to ><((('> .It was dragon ball on pc and it was my biggest dream back then after living in a giant inflatable castle.

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🌟 Senior Member
Best answers
Actually the function of the mouse button is to burn extra KI for a boost on the beams struggle capability. Though im not sure if its just an added boost or a multiplier. It does burn up your KI faster and uses that as extra energy for the beam itself.

Not if you are reffering to 1.2.3.

We are integrating a pump system to make power struggles more dynamic. The beams will no longer travel slowly from one person to the other, but will instead be pushed back and forth wildly. The idea is as follows.

When 2 beams collide they have a struggle potential variable based on yheir overall power, that gives them the initial momentum and movement. The player can then charge a "pump" and release it. It is essentially a second beam being charged and fired. The pump will travel along the beam to where the struggle is currently at. When the pump reaches the struggle it will add its own struggle potential to your side of the struggle. How much it adds depends on multiple factors. The type of beam used and the amount charged being the dominant. Meaning a fully charged pump on a kamehameha will have the same struggle potential as the beam itself. The struggle potential is also lost over time, so the further the pump has to travel the weaker it gets. This means that you have to evaluate the risk of letting the struggle get as close to you as possible before releasing the pump. Fire to slow and you get blown up, fire to fast and you waste some of the struggle potential. Ofcourse there is also a speed multiplier built in to the system. This means that the longer the struggle lasts, the faster it will get going, giving both parties less and less time to act and react.

So has it been decided if you can still detonate beams mid-shot or not? And if not can you pump into a beam that has yet to connect to another attack?

The only Russian ESF fan
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Its not, im simply pointing out the fact that when I was a kid and excitement always got the best of me i didnt bother to read any manual whatsoever when i found out about esf, got into the action as fast as i could, probably what happenned to ><((('> .It was dragon ball on pc and it was my biggest dream back then after living in a giant inflatable castle.
It's true I got in the action as fast as I could.
But after a year of playing ECX (Lol, I didn't like 1.2.3. back then.) and accidentally discovering glide by myself, (Pros didn't play ECX at that time, so I had noone to learn from) I decided to learn more stuff.
How fired up I was, when discovered pro basic melee guide made by Sailent and Shiro. Then I've read any guide I could find, but still didn't grasp such a simple thing: that I should just hold the button down. Now that's funny.

Btw, I'm not alone. I often see people referring to beamstruggles as to "mouse spam". That sounds more like rapid clicking, don't you think?

Last edited:
Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's true I got in the action as fast as I could.
But after a year of playing ECX (Lol, I didn't like 1.2.3. back then.) and accidentally discovering glide by myself, (Pros didn't play ECX at that time, so I had noone to learn from) I decided to learn more stuff.
How fired up I was, when discovered pro basic melee guide made by Sailent and Shiro. Then I've read any guide I could find, but still didn't grasp such a simple thing: that I should just hold the button down. Now that's funny.

Btw, I'm not alone. I often see people referring to beamstruggles as to "mouse spam". That sounds more like rapid clicking, don't you think?

Many people dont RTFM. This literally happened in a game i was in once. It was just me and 2 total newbies. They were about equally bad, so i told them to read the manual. So while one leaves the server and reads the manual the other was giving me an earfull about how he doesnt need it. Then the other guy comes back in to the game and mops the floor with the guy who didnt want to read the manual XD

Was one of the funniest moments i had in ESF when the other guy started raging :p

So has it been decided if you can still detonate beams mid-shot or not? And if not can you pump into a beam that has yet to connect to another attack?
You can still blow them up. And no you can not start a pump before the struggle happens. Due to the lockon system mouse 2 is reserved for that. So detonating beams now happens with mouse 1. So if you try to charge a pump before an actual struggle happens, youll just blow up your beam before the struggle.

The only Russian ESF fan
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
You can still blow them up. And no you can not start a pump before the struggle happens. Due to the lockon system mouse 2 is reserved for that. So detonating beams now happens with mouse 1. So if you try to charge a pump before an actual struggle happens, youll just blow up your beam before the struggle.
Is it impossible to pump without the struggle only because of the button conflict? Because if it is, to me it seems possible for someone to still pump, with the help of a script/cheat, without actually using the bound button in order to avoid such conflict.

P.S. Lol, we turned this thread into some kind of an interview.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom