Im getting a new comp....

Whats is better for the money AMD or Intel?

• Inter

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • AMD

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Best answers
Hi all as u probably know i need a new comp...this dell **** is just to *** for me...so...i was looking at sony and compaq and all them...i also looked at alien ware...they look pretty good for their price but i heard somewhere that they were laud does anyone know how loud they are and if so is it tollerable....thanks alot

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I promise you amd is the best my father owns a computer businnes and amd is allot better for yur money amd is the best!! All the way amd.

AMD.The Best Ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PLz trust me and support amd.

Best answers
Bottem line is, you will get more for your money with AMD, it is much cheaper, and in my opinion, much better. My XP1600 makes no noise and is now about.. 40 dollars, give or take 10 or 20.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It isn't the proccesor that makes the noice its the fan!!! And yes you will get allot more for you $ with amd.

And Buce about yur sig I can host it .

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If noise is a large problem, you can remove the fan and use a water-cooling system instead.
That makes a very small ammount of noise, and allows you to overclock without much worry.
It's really expensive though, and I don't think it comes shipped with computers, atleast not yet.
I haven't heard about AlienWare computers making a lot of noise, all I've heard about them is they make quality computers.
And about the poll, if you have a choice, go with AMD. ;)

Best answers
If it were up to me I would build my own friend, but if you don't know much about computers I would buy a complete system. Alienware seems to be more than a little over expensive IMO, go to there site and find a system that you like then customize it right down to the bare minimum and see how much you will pay just for the name.

Best answers
this is just a quick question...what is the amd 3200 compared to pentium??? like 3.2 ghz? plz tell thanks a bunch...

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I've got an Alienware, brand new. Completely silent. :p

Anyway, for the mid-range chips, the AMD is your best bet.

If you want the high quality, relatively more expensive chips then I'd recommend Intel, (for 2.8GHz-3.2GHz) because of Hyper-Threading, by Intel.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
AMD... its cheaper indeed.. but watch out! most computer companies have the choice between AMD and Intel computers, and mostly they make the AMD the low-budget computers (with gf4mx like videocards and AMDXP1400+)and Intel with the best parts.. (fx5600+ and p4 3.0ghz)

i dunno how this is where u live but in holland its mostly like that..

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
For the next couple years, I'd choose to get an Alienware. They are very good computers, especially the Area-51. Do not get one with a GeForce 4 Mx or lower, do not get a GeForce FX 5200/5600/5800. And if you're going to get a Radeon 9500+, then make sure to get atleast a 1 year warrenty as, for some reason, they have seemed to be dieing. If you're going for Intel, get a X.X-C, the C means 800 Mhz FSB and Hyper Threading. I hope I've helped =].

-UltraPerfectCell

Best answers
wait r u saying i should get the NVIDIA GeForce™ FX 5900 Ultra 256MB 8x AGP w/DVI & S-Video ??? or the ATI RADEON™ 9800 PRO 256MB 8x AGP w/DVI & S-Video because that adds like $250...are they worth the price?????? thx

Edit:
Also is there really a difference between the 3.2 Ghz and the 3.0 Ghz??? cuz the 3.2 is like $270 more than the 3.0....thx

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If you're going to buy an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro, do -NOT- buy the 256MB version. It has the same performance specs as the 128MB, because they used slower ram.

Radeon 9800Pro 128-Normal price, same performance
Radeon 9800Pro 256-Higher price, same performance.

The 5900 Ultra from Nvidia has better technical specs, but the drivers haven't been worked on as long as the 9800 Pro. Right now the 9800 works better in most applications, but Nvidia works on their drivers constantly, so who knows? ^_^

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Actually, the 9800 Pro with 256MB Ram can leave the 128 behind in alot of tests with AA/AF on and high resolutions. It might have the same speed with low res/no aa/no af, but when you crank all that up it will leave it in the dust ;).

Oh and I'd get Radeon 9500+ because they have awesome image quality compared to NVIDIA.

And about the 3.2 Gigahertz, if you want to save 240$ then get the 3.0 Gigahertz and (if you want to risk it) overclock it to 3.2+. It will cause it to get hotter, but it will run a little faster :).

Best answers
hum...well is the 3.0 and 3.2 a noticable difference or is it just in specs...also well....for the video card what is more worth it for the money??? the 128 the 256 thr radian or the nvidia plz tell me and if u have any bad expirences with it...

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't really understand your question.

The 3.2 GHz p4 and the 3.0 GHz won't really see a difference in performance, because it loads everything out today, super-fast.

The better your computer, the longer you can keep it without having to upgrade.

As for the video cards, whatever you do, don't get the 9800 Pro 256MB. It's more expensive, and gives the same performance as the lower 128MB model.

Nvidia vs. ATI.. Most people say ATI, right now.
*I* personally prefer Nvidia.. but you can decide for yourself.

Best answers
hmm thanks this is hell for a pretty good comp i am at around 2500 and that is with out the moniter...which i am said to get a flat screen because some people say u get radiation from crts....well lol.......damm and a f***ing 15" is like 350....if anyone knows where to get a nice moniter cheep plz tell me thx

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom