IGN Showing off all 5 spore phases

Death from Above
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Last edited:

G
EA sure does like to make make a mockery of Will Wright.

I'm going to pre-order this soon too, I was seriously considering avoiding it because it has SecuROM, which can cause major problems.. But I've been waiting for it since 2005, so what the heck. If it's that bad I'm sure someone will find a way to remove it.

*Edit* Just saw the video, you have to mate in Cell Stage now? Strange.. It made more sense when you just split in two and mating didn't come into it until you reached land.

Last edited by a moderator:

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Back of the Spore box.

It's pretty horrible if you ask me.

Death from Above
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Could be worse.

I don't remeber seeing any mating in cell stage. It was just eating and not being eaten

G
Could be worse.

I don't remeber seeing any mating in cell stage. It was just eating and not being eaten
Where previously you split in two and left a lil' egg thing, in this video the cell had to call a cell mate that appeared out of nowhere to mate with it.
I suppose it makes sense as you get bigger and are pretty much a small fish, as long as it doesn't happen that way right away.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The PC Gamer UK review for Spore is out, it got a 91.

The review was mostly positive, but they did say a few things which leaves me worried. Mainly that while space stage can be fun, the AI will declare war on you over nothing and subsequently harass you. Apparently he was exploring the 'verse on easy mode, happened upon another race, they didn't want him in their airspace so they attacked. He ran away, they followed, he defended himself, they declared war and started to attack his homeplanet. He had to trek back to his homeplanet, fend them off, spend the remainder of his money to repair his ship and went out into the 'verse again only to have the process repeat. Apparently the only way to stop the process was to make peace which was impossible. The only way to make peace is by either paying them more money than he had or by destroying every city of theirs in an area 8 cubic light years big. He had to restart the space stage twice before it "didn't suck".

I'm hoping the problem was with him and not the game. I'm thinking that if he developed his solar system first instead of venturing out into the verse, he'd have been able to make peace with the race by paying up. In any case, I'm rambling. It's an 8 page review, if you want to read it I'm sure you can find scans somewhere on the 'net.

G
Space Stage isn't going to be that great, I'm still sad that you can't have more than one ship. I just hope Civ stage is really in-depth.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Space Stage will be awesome. You can have a fleet, its just you need allies to do so.

Best answers
I always felt from the beginning that the space stage wouldn't be that great.

It looked like it was to immense to control and a little repetitive in gameplay. Basically you just start over on an other planet. That way the fun of the game would die out in this stage and you'd feel like restarting a new one.

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I was looking to be disappointed but... creature phase being only stage 2 of 5? What the hell? All I've seen previewed is the creature phase. The fact that there are three stages after that one is a delightful surprise to me.

G
Man, it's looking good. The Creature Stage video was really short for such a big stage but it was good, it does look fun.

Best answers
I still wonder why they left out fish stage where you could swim in a 3d sea level, following the 2d level of the cells.

It seems now the transition from cell to creature is a little harsh and you just look like a cell with legs.

Even Will Wright gets lazy sometimes in developing games?

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I still wonder why they left out fish stage where you could swim in a 3d sea level, following the 2d level of the cells.

It seems now the transition from cell to creature is a little harsh and you just look like a cell with legs.

Even Will Wright gets lazy sometimes in developing games?
It has nothing to do with being lazy. It took them this long to get done what they have, imagine how long it would take if they added another stage in the mix.

Best answers
Yeah i was being ironic.
But then again if it took them this long already, one more year wouldn't have hurt either.

I think the reason is it's not as different enough as the other stages. More like a mix of 2.
It would've been nice to have another vast world to play your creature stage in.

Maybe in Spore 2 the creature will take over the sea and air roam too!
Though i doubt there will ever be a spore 2.

Dudemeister
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
actually, before you get out of the sea, the players doesn't control a cell creature, but the fish creature.

G
actually, before you get out of the sea, the players doesn't control a cell creature, but the fish creature.
They removed that stage ages ago. That was only in the GDC 2005 demo, EA cut it out some time after. It's still possible to have swimming creatures, though. But you can't have underwater cities so it's pretty pointless.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm copying and pasting this from another forum.

---

The two biggest german pc-gaming magazine "GameStar" and "PC Games" gave Spore really bad ratings.
Gamestar 79%
PC Games only 73%

PC Games wrote:
Im Fazit wurden folgende Kritikpunkte angesprochen

- Kaum Spieltiefe bis Phase 5
- Geringer Wiederspielbarkeitswert
- unausgewogener Spielmix aus Simulation und Strategie
- Kriege einfacher als Diplomatie

gelobt wurden folgende Punkte:

- Genialer Kreatureneditor
- hinreißend animierte Tierchen
- endloser Objekte- und Kreaturennachschub durch Downloads
- umfassende Communityfeatures
Means (i hope i translated it correctly)
- No gaming-depth until phase 5
- No reason to play the game again
- bad mix between simulation and strategy
- Wars easier than diplomacy
+ Very good creature editor
+ nice animations
+ never endless object- and creature supply through downloads
+ great community features

---

edit: I should just mention that one of the magazines (or both?) rated Spore and excluded the editors from the review, which is retarded. They wanted to rate just the game, but the editors are a huge part of the game.

Last edited:
Dudemeister
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
They removed that stage ages ago. That was only in the GDC 2005 demo, EA cut it out some time after. It's still possible to have swimming creatures, though. But you can't have underwater cities so it's pretty pointless.
You didn't understand. I was saying at the end of the cell stage, the player evolves his/her cell so much that it becomes more of a fish than a cell. You can also notice it because the giant sea shells in the background, for example, become as big/small as your creature.

G
You didn't understand. I was saying at the end of the cell stage, the player evolves his/her cell so much that it becomes more of a fish than a cell. You can also notice it because the giant sea shells in the background, for example, become as big/small as your creature.
Ohh I see what you mean, sorry. That is pretty cool, that you're not really a small-cell creature at the end of it.

And about the reviews, I heard PC Gamer gave it a 90/100, so it's a pretty large spectrum of reviews. The only one I will trust is Yhatze's, as usual.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom