IE > Mozilla!?

Best answers
From my Slashdot feed on my Netvibes homepage:

killproc writes "Symantec has issued a report that suggests that Internet Explorer may be more secure than the open source Mozilla Foundation browsers. "According to the report, 25 vendor-confirmed vulnerabilities were disclosed for the Mozilla browsers during the first half of 2005, "the most of any browser studied," the report's authors stated. Eighteen of these flaws were classified as high severity. "During the same period, 13 vendor-confirmed vulnerabilities were disclosed for IE, eight of which were high severity," the report noted." "
Link

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Read the replies, basically, if symantec doesn't kiss microsofts ass, then no money for symantec :(. If they dont get any money, then that makes them all sadface. So in order to keep the money-a-flowin, you must apply lips to ass [microsoft's that is].

So no,

Mozilla> IE

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I also believe there was another article just a little while later telling of the types of exploits, and Mozilla's seriousness ratio was a lot smaller than IE's, so their exploits weren't nearly as bad.

Best answers
Oh don't get me wrong, i agreed so much that i had to edit the title because i put down IE < Mozilla originally. personally i use Mozilla instead of Firefox for 2 reasons, one being that i'm too lazy to dl Firefox on my 56k and two being that i'm afraid itll get raped by hackers in the near future. No matter what i dont feel safe with IE anyway. Long live Mozilla

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Es_Trunks2 said:
Oh don't get me wrong, i agreed so much that i had to edit the title because i put down IE < Mozilla originally. personally i use Mozilla instead of Firefox for 2 reasons, one being that i'm too lazy to dl Firefox on my 56k and two being that i'm afraid itll get raped by hackers in the near future. No matter what i dont feel safe with IE anyway. Long live Mozilla
isnt it.... mozilla firefox?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ja, mozilla has been around for awhile, and then they made firefox, which just pwns. But before that they made firebird or something, or maybe thats just an extention of mozilla...hmm..all i know is I wont go back to IE, I get ass raped by pop-ups, download boxes and security warnings everytime I open the damn thing...**** that...

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
NightTerror said:
Ja, mozilla has been around for awhile, and then they made firefox, which just pwns. But before that they made firebird or something, or maybe thats just an extention of mozilla...hmm..all i know is I wont go back to IE, I get ass raped by pop-ups, download boxes and security warnings everytime I open the damn thing...**** that...
Firebird is an email program, like Outlook Express.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ahh, ok thats for clearin that up, I knew there was somethin else with a cool name out there :p.

Best answers
I thought that the inbox program was thunderbird, but the browser used to have a name that wasnt firefox, not really sure what it was, didnt use it then

But yeah, who wants to go back to IE after using firefox? Even if IE did become as good as that report says (which i dont believe) I'm too damn accustomed to firefox

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Shiyojin Rommyu said:
Firebird is an email program, like Outlook Express.
No, Thunderbird is Mozilla's email client. That's about all I know about it, I don't use it. =o

Brim said:
I thought that the inbox program was thunderbird, but the browser used to have a name that wasnt firefox, not really sure what it was, didnt use it then
Firefox used to be called Firebird. Before that, it was called Phoenix. I didn't personally use it under either of those names either.

People find bugs, and often, unfortunately, exploit them. The more people using given software, the more bugs are going to be found and exploited. This is partly the reason why IE is the way it is - if your intentions were to cause as much damage as possible with malicious code, would you target it for a third-party program, or one that comes installed by default on the operating system that dominates most of the market?

It isn't much of a choice for me, anyway. I first started using Firefox under Windows, but now mostly use Linux. There's many other browsers available for Linux, but Firefox is usually the best choice.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
DragonDude said:
No, Thunderbird is Mozilla's email client. That's about all I know about it, I don't use it. =o

Firefox used to be called Firebird. Before that, it was called Phoenix. I didn't personally use it under either of those names either.

People find bugs, and often, unfortunately, exploit them. The more people using given software, the more bugs are going to be found and exploited. This is partly the reason why IE is the way it is - if your intentions were to cause as much damage as possible with malicious code, would you target it for a third-party program, or one that comes installed by default on the operating system that dominates most of the market?

It isn't much of a choice for me, anyway. I first started using Firefox under Windows, but now mostly use Linux. There's many other browsers available for Linux, but Firefox is usually the best choice.
Next time they should call it.... Fire Phoenix! That'd be sweet like butter.

So on topic. Now I'm confused. I have Mozilla Firefox. Do I want just firefox? What is the best? I'm so confused!

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Fire Phoenix is redundant >_<!!!!

Stick with FireFox. Works like a charm.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yea, thats like saying "water aqua-man"...lol

Anway...err...firefox pwns, IE sucks the big one O/

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Fire Phoenix said:
Next time they should call it.... Fire Phoenix! That'd be sweet like butter.

So on topic. Now I'm confused. I have Mozilla Firefox. Do I want just firefox? What is the best? I'm so confused!
There is no browser strictly called "Firefox".

Mozilla offers 2 browsers. One is called "Mozilla", and the other (more popular among users of this forum) is "Mozilla Firefox".

As for the article: well, I've still had fewer run-ins with virii and spyware since I switched to Mozilla last year - unless things go completely awry for me on that front, I don't see much of a need to switch back. I also prefer the general layout of Firefox over IE, anyway.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
As far as I know, Firefox is just a smaller and sleeker version of Mozilla, based on the same code. It's the difference between getting an optimized word processor, or an office suite.

I'm no Firefox drone, but like most others said, I just prefer the layout and feel of Firefox over IE. I can't count the number of times I've used IE on other computers and middle-clicked to open a new tab. The next version of IE is supposed to have tabbed browsing, isn't it? That's not the only reason Firefox is used, so I don't see many users flocking (back?) to IE solely because of that, though it is a useful feature.

And on a side note, I'm suprised by the number of Firefox users here. =o

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If you all just upgraded to Service Pack 2, you wouldn't have a problem with Internet Explorer than Mozilla Firefox. I have both of them and my point of view, they're all the same. They load the same time. Here's my question, why would you install more crap in your computer just to get Mozilla Firefox fully functional and no more stuff to download?

*coughthemesforfirefoxsucksitusesmoreramcoughcough*

The only thing I like about Mozilla Firefox is the extention feature. I find them a bit useful like "right click > saves all pictures" on that page and like the Customize Google.

In my opinion, Internet Explorer is still better than Mozilla Firefox, even if it has some popups going through. It isn't life threating.

^_^

P.S.

I don't care about the speed that Mozzila Firefox can do, but i'm not going to waste diskspace just to download that.

Also, don't say Mozzila Firefox is the best because it has the theme manger. Why in the hell would you decorate a browser just to go on the internet?

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I have SP2, and FireFox is still faster than IE for me.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
AquaGeneration said:
*coughthemesforfirefoxsucksitusesmoreramcoughcough*
What you say about my mom? D:

Anyways, you obviously did a typo, cause mozilla > IE.

Only real problem i have is when i start downloading sometimes, my pc freezes for like 40 seconds, then resumes D:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom