I want to buy a laptop

Best answers
Hey all, so I've thought about it and want to buy a laptop - first I thought of getting a bare bones "work" laptop, but I want to know what kind of gaming laptop I can get for $1000.00-$1200.00 CANADIAN dollars.

Can you all recommended something for me?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If you want to play games on it, don't buy a laptop.

If you absolutely have to have one because you need a mobile computer, then yeah. But if you're getting it just for games, don't bother.

A laptop with a certain degree of processing power and graphical capabilities will be more expensive than a PC of the exact same power, because the technology has to be made smaller to fit inside a laptop case. So you can save money by buying a PC.

Best answers
What about this Dell?

PROCESSOR Intel? Core? 2 Duo processor T5300 (2MB Cache/1.73GHz/533MHz FSB)

OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows Vista? Home Premium

LCD DISPLAY 17 inch Wide Screen XGA+ Display with TrueLife?

MEMORY FREE 2GB at 533MHz Shared Dual Channel DDR2 - $350 Value

HARD DRIVE 120GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive

OPTICAL DRIVE 8x CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer DVD+R write capability

GRAPHICS CARD 256MB NVIDIA? GeForce? Go 7900 GS

BATTERY OPTIONS 53 WHr 6-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery

This all comes to $1009.00 CANADIAN $$.

Is this worth it for gaming + work purposes?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think it's ok, but it won't be good for long, since laptops can't be upgraded more than in RAM.

If you really are planning to buy a pc for gaming, you should just save up some money for desktop pc.

Best answers
What about this Dell?

PROCESSOR Intel? Core? 2 Duo processor T5300 (2MB Cache/1.73GHz/533MHz FSB)

OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows Vista? Home Premium

LCD DISPLAY 17 inch Wide Screen XGA+ Display with TrueLife?

MEMORY FREE 2GB at 533MHz Shared Dual Channel DDR2 - $350 Value

HARD DRIVE 120GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive

OPTICAL DRIVE 8x CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer DVD+R write capability

GRAPHICS CARD 256MB NVIDIA? GeForce? Go 7900 GS

BATTERY OPTIONS 53 WHr 6-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery

This all comes to $1009.00 CANADIAN $$.

Is this worth it for gaming + work purposes?
That's a pretty good deal for that laptop.

Best answers
I think it's ok, but it won't be good for long, since laptops can't be upgraded more than in RAM.

If you really are planning to buy a pc for gaming, you should just save up some money for desktop pc.
I already have a gaming desktop, and was planning to buy a laptop for schoolwork and notes, but I would also like to have games like Ut2004, Hitman 2, Sodier of Furtune, and WOW on it. Anything older then 2005 would bne fine for the laptop I chose right?

Also this may be a noobish question, but when takeing science notes, how would I import the notes on to my laptop, so i can label the diagram on it instead of write it down?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If it's like that, you should definitely buy it, especially for that price.
I don't know about the science notes, but there's some programs if you search, i think.

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
Its similar in specs to my Dell laptop, (Probably the same model).
Dude, this is from my experience :)
It can handle all games medium-high settings, and it also has an MXM graphics card which is upgradeable :D

Best answers
It can handle all games medium-high settings, and it also has an MXM graphics card which is upgradeable :D
Don't expect that upgradeable format to hold true for all next-gen mobile cards. The most you'll (and any other E1705/9400 owners) will probably be able to upgrade to is the 7950GTX Go.

But still, that's a very decent price for that laptop. If it's new, jump on it. If it's used, make sure it's still got a decent warranty.

Best answers
If you want to drag the thing to school/work you might not want a bulky and heavy 17" laptop, that'd be more of a desktop replacement. I got this one: http://www.zepto.com/Shop/Notebook.aspx?notebookid=347 (but with 2G ram, 7400rpm hd, extra battery and core 2 duo) It was the only 14" laptop with a somewhat decent video card I could find at the time, apart from the Sony Vaio C1Z, which is thicker and imo less value for money.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm also looking for a laptop for school and some gaming in between.

How would the Znote 6224W (Power version, added 2gb RAM, possibly Windows Vista Premium for 1300 euro's) be? Should I go look elsewhere? I'm not too sure about that Vista though, it's the UK version instead of the Dutch version, I don't know what the differences are though.

Configuration
<table id="ctl00_ContentPlaceHolder1_ConfigTabPanelControl_ConfigImageTabPanelControl_ConfigSummaryControl_DataListSessionConfiguration" style="border-collapse: collapse;" border="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr> <td> 1.80 GHz Intel? Core™2 Duo T7100 800MHz
</td> </tr><tr> <td> 120GB 5400rpm SATA Harddisk
</td> </tr><tr> <td> Intel? PRO/Wireless 3945ABG 54Mbit
</td> </tr><tr> <td> SAMSUNG DVD-RW DL
</td> </tr><tr> <td> Keyboard Znote 6x14W Black UK
</td> </tr><tr> <td> 14,1" WXGA+ 1440x900 - 6224W
</td> </tr><tr> <td> 6 Cell Battery
</td> </tr><tr> <td> NVIDIA? Geforce 8600M GT
</td> </tr><tr> <td> 2 GB DDR2 PC6400 Original Zepto Ram
</td> </tr><tr> <td> Microsoft? Windows? Vista Home Premium - UK
</td> </tr> </tbody></table> Accessories
<table id="ctl00_ContentPlaceHolder1_ConfigTabPanelControl_ConfigImageTabPanelControl_ConfigSummaryControl_DataListAccessory" style="border-collapse: collapse;" border="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr> <td> NERO Xpress 7
</td> </tr> </tbody></table>

Service
<table id="ctl00_ContentPlaceHolder1_ConfigTabPanelControl_ConfigImageTabPanelControl_ConfigSummaryControl_DataListService" style="border-collapse: collapse;" border="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td> 24 months pick up & return</td></tr></tbody></table>
For 1300 euro's, these specs don't seem even half that bad, not a too bad graphics card in (DX10, 512 mb, should be able to use it for the next [couple of] years) But wondering if I should go for the 2.0ghz for an extra 40 euro's.

I am guessing it's better than the 2.0 ghz Core 2 Duo, 2gb RAM, 120gb HDD and a 7900GS instead of a 8600 on Dell.com

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
Don't expect that upgradeable format to hold true for all next-gen mobile cards. The most you'll (and any other E1705/9400 owners) will probably be able to upgrade to is the 7950GTX Go.

But still, that's a very decent price for that laptop. If it's new, jump on it. If it's used, make sure it's still got a decent warranty.
See what happens, Dell may make them in the same form factor down the line.
At least, I have more upgrade ability compared to my last laptop.

False hope is hope, eh? ~Smith

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom