I Thought Upload and Download rates were connected.... this is ghey

Best answers

Thats the upload rate for one of my torrents right now. Only been seeding it. anyway look at what the download rate was:

My broadband connection rate says its 64 kbps. so my download speed/upload speed should be 8 kilobytes per second. The help center guys aren't believing me... lol. Not that its bad or anything, I just didnt know that such a thing was possible.

My upload speed currently varies from 29 KBps to 103 KBps.
and my download speed from 4 KBps to 9 KBps. lol :laff:
According to the pics I've uploaded 1.22 GB in 7 hrs. And downloaded something around 107 mb lol thats really ***.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
learn to use your torrent client.

oh, and it's kiloBITS not kiloBYTES.

Best answers
learn to use your torrent client. oh, and it's kiloBITS not kiloBYTES.
Yes i know.
Didnt u look at the pics closely? It says kBps.
my net speed is 64 kbps - kilobits
thats why i put my dl rate as 8 kBps - kilobytes.
But that doesnt change the fact that i upload at 29 to 103 kBps. kilobytes per second.

sheesh :/ I know about that....
And I've removed any and all limiters in my torrent client. So it used all available bandwidth for downloading and uploading. But its not just this. Even through firefox it shows the same readings while uploading to a site like rapidshare or when downloading anything.

PS: I wasn't downloading anything else when i was doing this. my speed doesnt allow more than 1 dl at a time.

Best answers
I don't know if you have, but you might want to try another client maybe? Personally, I use Utorrent.

Best answers
that is uTorrent lol. I didnt put the full pic thats all. Anyway it isnt the client coz even direct downloads and uploads do the same. Even when sending files through msnm i get crazy speeds and while recieving them, I'm slower than a tortoise with an elephant on its back.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
u torrent is the win, set your ports, max global upload speed 10kbs, unlimited up/download connections, and your away o/

Best answers
I have no problems with having an upload speed like that. Just kinda strange that is all. I thought that wasn't possible for any connection. Share rate for all my torrents is around 3.0 to 4.0 lol

Best answers
Well, atleast your share ratio is always over 1.0
Have you limited your download speed? If you have, then unlimit it to see if your download speed increases...
I have 2mb Download and 512Kb Upload speeds, and i have never reached that big upload speed.
Biggest uploading speed i usually get is around 50-60kB/s and biggest download speed is usually around 200kB/s, last week it jumped over 350Kb for a few minutes...

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers

Let's take a step back. Could the problem be the torrent itself? Check who's uploading, check their upload speeds, check the number of seeds, check the number of peers, check the tracker. Find another torrent of the same file, and check your download speed. If it's higher, your primary torrent is ****ed for now. If not, just leave it on before you go to bed. Either the file isn't desirable, the file is too desirable, or you don't know how to set up your client. You say you know how, so we'll forget about that for now.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You have an upload speed of at least 98 KB/s, but can only download at 8 KB/s? That has to be the most unusual internet setup in history. I have 165 KB/s down and 65 KB/s up, so I'm not sure why you would have such an unusually high upload compared to piss-poor download. You don't have a cap speed on download set, do you? What speeds do you observe with regular downloads?

And really, 8 KB/s isn't broadband, so if that's what you're paying for, it's time to stop getting shafted and find a new ISP.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I've dled torrents 4 kb/s, and I've dled torrents at 900 kb/s. It depends on the quality of the seeders and trackers. Just because you have a fast connection doesn't mean you're going to be allowed to download quickly from the peers (especially since many of which don't even upload).

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
(especially since many of which don't even upload).
With torrents, you HAVE to upload in order to download. That's just how torrents work. Your download rate is proportional to your upload rate.

Edit: And try upgrading your client. That looks like an old version.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Uh...no it isn't. That's why there's an option not to share with anyone. I've limited my upload speed to 1 kb/s when using certain clients, and I've still downloaded at 200 kb/s+. Hell, when I used to use bittornado, I wasn't even able to upload but I would download at blazing speeds.

This is especially true with public trackers. Either way, the problem is the torrent and its peers.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Uh...no it isn't. That's why there's an option not to share with anyone. I've limited my upload speed to 1 kb/s when using certain clients, and I've still downloaded at 200 kb/s+. Hell, when I used to use bittornado, I wasn't even able to upload but I would download at blazing speeds.

This is especially true with public trackers. Either way, the problem is the torrent and its peers.
I have no idea what broken client you're using, but whatever I guess.

Best answers
I have no idea what broken client you're using, but whatever I guess.
Actually its not broken client, almost every BT client i have used has the option of reducing or even completely removing your uploading speed. And hardly any trackers these days limit the download speed of those who dont upload. I usually dont limit my uploading speed because i think its a *****y thing to do..
I do care about other peoples downloading you know...

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
I know in uTorrent if you set your upload limited below 6 It "Speed limits" you.
What type of connection? ADSL/DSL/SDSL/XDSL/Cable/IDSN/Satalite/Wireless/Dial-Craa-up?
And those are some insane Upload rates! :) Faster than my DL speeds!
Have you Port forwarded? Firewall settings set correctly? Spyware and viruses removed? Is it a healthy torrent? Do speeds change at certain times like on on-peak and off-peak? Is your modem connected Via USB or Ethernet?
Which ISP and plan are you on? Does it happen with all torrents? I've never seen or heard of a connection where the upload is insanely larger than the download, Could be wrong though!

Edit: Also its good to keep your upload speed at 80-90% of the maximum, This allows some bandwidth to be sent for other information.

Best answers
lol. I don't limit my download speed. Like I said, I get this download/upload rate with everything. Its really Cool ,though. I only wish it were the opposite. But it doesnt hurt me. And about the uber low dl speed....
frsrblch said:
8 KB/s isn't broadband, so if that's what you're paying for, it's time to stop getting shafted and find a new ISP.
Well I've been trying to change that and get Cable. But the cable operator here is loco and he is charging super high charges for the cable connection. Right now, I need cash for the upgrade on my RAM and stuff so a change of ISP wont happen till XMas. :)
Spunky said:
And try upgrading your client. That looks like an old version.
Well I tried using Bitcomet too. Same effect. But I'll stick to uTorrent.

frsrblch said:
That has to be the most unusual internet setup in history.
I agree lol. I've never heard of such a thing and my ISP helpline actually called me a n00b and that I was lying..... :))

Jariroth said:
every BT client i have used has the option of reducing or even completely removing your uploading speed
Yup. Take a look-see.

See where I put 999? That can be changed to 1 or 0.00001 to make it limited. 0 means unlimited.
I've had problems with the 0 setting... uTorrent crashes so I use 999.

pemalite said:
What type of connection? ADSL/DSL/SDSL/XDSL/Cable/IDSN/Satalite/Wireless/Dial-Craa-up? Broadband. If it can be called that lol.
And those are some insane Upload rates! Faster than my DL speeds!
Have you Port forwarded? uh...?
Firewall settings set correctly? I close my firewall when I start torrents
Spyware and viruses removed? I scan once every 2 days. Just checked it now. None.
Is it a healthy torrent? Yeah....
Do speeds change at certain times like on on-peak and off-peak? Oscillates between 45 to 98 kBps
Is your modem connected Via USB or Ethernet? Ethernet
Which ISP and plan are you on? Well its an Indian ISP. Care to check it out? (its called 64 on and on)
Does it happen with all torrents? With both Torrents and direct downloads
I've never seen or heard of a connection where the upload is insanely larger than the download, Could be wrong though! Could be... lol

Edit: Also its good to keep your upload speed at 80-90% of the maximum, This allows some bandwidth to be sent for other information. I stop my torrents when i surf.
Answered in quote.

Jariroth said:
biggest download speed is usually around 200kB/s, last week it jumped over 350Kb for a few minutes...
My upload speed went over 100 for over 2 hrs.... o_O

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Uncheck "Randomize port each time Utorrent starts"
Change "Protocol Description" to "Enabled"
Change "Global maximum upload rate (kb/s)" to at least "20"
Change "Global maximum download rate (kb/s)" to "0" (for unlimited)

You're also using an outdated version of Utorrent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom