I think someone is trying to scam me :shocked:

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
So the other night, I got this message on myspace:

How are you doing?i hope u are finding this online search easy enough,I find your profile interesting and would like to get to know you more better,I will like you to contact me through my private email address you can also join me for a chat but i will really appreciate it if you can email me so that we can get more acquainted with each other and see some of my picture pls tell me me about yourself and want your real name.you can get me through my private email : [email protected]
Rachael
Now at first I thought this was just a bot. See, my profile is set to private so she couldn't see it if she wasn't my friend. Her profile is set up to look like a lonely attractive girl just lookin for love. Since I was bored at the time, I figured the worst that could happen if I email her is just receiving a ton of spam emails, something I already get. My spam folder on Gmail is at 2000 and something right now, so I figured a few more drops in that ocean wouldn't hurt. Besides, most bot accounts on myspace send you straight away to the spammer's site, promising more revealing pics. So I wrote up this email:

Now I'm responding to your message through email on the off chance you aren't a bot, but I'm http://www.myspace.com/knucklesammich.

I'm Devin Johnston and I live in the southern part of Colorado, right north of the New Mexican border. I love to go hiking and have quite a few pictures from those hikes on my page. I also love going to see local musicians play, but ever since I moved out of Fort Collins I haven't had a chance to see any. There's hardly any local musicians doing shows down here, unfortunately. This winter I've had the pleasure of going snowboarding once, though I had a blast and I want to do it more. When it comes to other people, I'm more likely to listen to what they have to say, and I like to hear someone talk about something they love.

To be honest, I'm not sure exactly what else to tell you, so feel free to ask anything and tell me about yourself.

Devin Johnston
A day later, I got an email that raised flags of a different sort

Hello Dearest Devin,
Well to start off my name is Rachael,i come from a rare combination , Dad is an American while mom is Nigerian. My Father died some months back and i had to relocate to meet my mom in Nigeria, I don't really know him that well because he was always on business trips . My mom passed away weeks back , after she was attacked by some armed men here in Nigeria , so unfortunately you won't have a chance to meet her in person, yet you'll see her influence in my heart. I speak fluent English and my native language. . Tell me more about yourself, anything at all will do. I like the fact that you are straightforward about the fact that you are looking for a serious relationship. So many men feel like they have to be in the \"I'm not looking for anything serious\" mode, because they think that's what women want to hear. Thanks for taking a chance and just showing who you are. So I should probably tell you a little more about me.
I consider myself to be very simple. I believe that men needs to be treated with respect and as a equal partner in a relationship, but all I seem to find is the ones that does not know how to respond to that or is untrust to it. I feel like u should treat somebody with respect and like they are a person not a piece of meat or whatever. I am the type of person who wants somebody to feel wanted not just as a trophy. I am a very affectionate person and I love to cuddle, I like to show somebody how I feel not just telling them. I love to be close to somebody whether it is in the bed on the couch or wherever. I guess my dreams would be is to be happy and have a family my goals in life I want to go into business for my self one day but that will be a while from now. I guess I want to work on my love life and be happy first. I have always wanted a child of my own and to have a family, but I guess when the time is right it will happen.
I like to play sports just as much as I do watching them. Most of all i like to spend time with who I am with, and cuddle up and watch a movie. It is my opinion that we all want the same thing in regards to a partner, and that most of us either do not know how or is scared to and sabotage themselves from getting it. Okay, I like the outdoors, but I don't care about hunting or fishing, well I will fish with an un-baited hook if it means I will get to spend some time with someone I care about. There are a lot of things I like doing as in dancing, cooking, camping, etc. My ultimate goal and what I think would make me happy is to get back on my feet and have a man by my side that I love and loves me, and children that I can raise and have fun with.
I am very relationship oriented and I believe life is too short to waste. When I am in a relationship I am committed, honest and loyal. I think that falling in love is always a good thing, even if it doesn't work out. There is always something to learn from being with someone, and happy times and memories should be cherished. Friendship comes first for me. That is not to say I never get hurt because I do. I have been burnt so bad. My last relationship ended on a very sad note for me but I do not believe in regrets. I tell you this because I cannot predict the future. For some people a relationship has to be all or nothing...I don't feel that way.
It is obvious that I don't know how to keep a good man since I am 24 and never married, but I never in the past nor do I intend to intentionally hurt someone by cheating, mistreating, or abusing them. Okay, for my questions to you. What are some of your goals, hopes and dreams? How long have you been single? Do you have any brothers or sisters? Do you have any kids? If yes, How many? If there is something you want to say but you think you might be rambling or it is not important, it is Okay, to me it is important. Well...I see I wrote a novel here, I am looking forward to getting to know you better. I guess I will go for now hope to hear from you soon.
Rachael.
Now while the rest of this email seems legit enough, it's that first paragraph that gets me. Her American father died so she had to relocate to Nigeria. And of course, her mother has now been killed by armed Nigerian men so she's presumably stuck there, though she hasn't said it outright. I figured I'd send another email to "her" simply because I have a hard time opening up to people so I figured it'd at least be good practice. You can skip the next quote if you want, it's just my reply and basically describes myself:

Dear Rachael,
Wow, you really did write a novel and I will admit you're one of the most straightforward girls I've talked to as well. I'm sorry to hear about both your parents. I haven't really lost anyone close to me yet, so while I can't relate, I still feel for you.
I do try my best to be straightforward and as undeceiving as possible, because I know that's how all people should be treated. Good relationships are built off of trust and understanding, not deception and faked emotions. I think it is pretty much an age thing where people say they don't want a serious relationship for the same reasons you stated. We've all been burned in the past so we fear it happening again. Plus, there are those people who just want to be able to fool around without the strong emotions there, but I disagree with living like that. I think people are fooling themselves to think that they can be physically with someone without the emotional component and that they're hurting themselves by doing that. I agree completely with you on equality in relationships as well. I don't want a partner who wants to control me, nor do I want my partner to be subservient to me either. I want someone who I can see as equal to me, and I want to be equal in her eyes too, simply because that's where love is the strongest.
I'm pretty simple in my goals and dreams. Right now my current goal is to get back into college simply because I see it as a chance to improve myself. Right now I'm considering going into nursing because I see it as a concrete way to be able to help other people. As for my dreams, all I really want is to establish strong connections in the people I love and show them that I am there for them unconditionally. I try to be a good man, one who doesn't falsify his words or feelings, someone who others can depend on. I've been single since summer of 2007 and that's mainly because I haven't really met a woman since then that I feel a connection to. I've gone on a few dates here and there since then, but nothing really came out of them. I've got a pretty large family. I was born to my mother and a man who she was never married to, and I guess they broke up shortly afterword. But when I was 1, my mother met a new man who adopted me as his son. My biological father has always been a part of my life, however. He would always send me christmas and birthday cards, as well as send me little presents every once in a while. It wasn't until I was 12 until I found out that he was actually my father and that the man raising me was only a stepfather. But the way I see it, I've got two dads out of it. And now that I've grown some, I can really respect my biological father for wanting to be a part of my life, even if things didn't work out between him and my mother. So now I've got two half brothers from my mom and stepfather, Jarad and Thomas. In addition to that, I've got two half brothers and three half sisters from my biological father, Clayton, Christopher, Jocelyn, Desiree and Destiny. So you could pretty much say I'm blessed with family and I love each and every single one of them with all my heart.
As for children, I have none. For a while I thought I would never want children, but now that many of my friends are starting their families, I'm kind of jealous. My best friend Matt is seeing a girl now who has a son from a previous relationship and I really respect him for stepping in and help raise a child that's not his and he makes a great father. My brother Jarad was married earlier this year, and thanks to him and his wife, I have a beautiful 4 month old niece that I just can't get enough of. My parents laugh at me when I try to take care of her, but I do it to prepare myself for when I may have a family of my own.
I love to go fishing, but for me it's not about the sport of trying to reel a lunker in. Instead, it's about just sitting on the side of a lake and connecting with nature around me. I watch the ripples in the water, listen to the sounds of the forest and breath in the mountain air around me. My friends call me a hippy for it, but what can I say? I love the outdoors. Camping is one of my favorite things to do when it's warm. I have mixed feelings about dancing, but that's only because I get too self conscious about it and worry too much about if I'm looking like a fool, haha. I'm a pretty cuddly guy as well. Sometimes I think it'd be nice to just curl up with someone under a blanket and watch movies with them all day during these cold winter months.
I wouldn't say that you don't know about how to keep a good man, because from what you've said, it sounds like you do. I'd suspect that you just haven't found the right one yet and that's what the problem is. Most of my guy friends would kill for a girl that has said the things you've said about not wanting to intentionally hurt, cheat, or abuse someone you love.
I shouldn't really mention it since I don't think I'm good enough yet, but I'm also an amateur musician. I've got an electric guitar I dink around with on occasion, but I'm still searching for that creativity to be able to express my soul through sound I guess. I'm also thinking about asking my brother to let me use his bass guitar since he hasn't played it in years and I'd love to play that too. When I was younger I used to write a lot of poetry, though now I find my free time is shrinking with every day. Plus I think I've lost my muse there as well. Reading is also another big hobby of mine, though lately I haven't really found anything recently that I want to read.
I agree with you on the shortness of life, now. So fleeting is the time we have on this Earth that we may as well do all that we can to enjoy it. If you spend your whole life just drifting through, then you'll find it has passed right before your eyes without you realizing it. Other than that, I'm not exactly sure what else to say, but if we keep in contact I'm sure I can find more, haha.
When you do go into business, what do you want to do? Is there anything specific? I do find it interesting that you want to prioritize your love life and happiness before it, since most of the women I know who want to go into business want to do that before anything else. Where are you living now? Do you have any siblings, too?
Now her myspace profile may list her as living in CO, but I'm betting the next email I get from her will talk about how she really wants to meet me, but can't since she's stuck in Nigeria. I predict that if I keep talking with her long enough that she'll soon ask me to get money to her in some way so that she can come back to the states.

So, let's brainstorm up some suggestions on how I can screw around with her if she is indeed a scammer.

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ask if you can see her penis.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
This is entirely FaceBook's fault. This is exactly what they were asking for by removing most of their privacy restrictions.

But in makes FaceBook more popular and makes them more dosh.. Until they're overrun by bots and worms.
He said MySpace, not Facebook.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't think things will get interesting until 'she' starts asking for money. All kinds of things you can do then. Hell I know for a fact that some people have managed to get the scammers to send a picture of themselves, holding a piece of paper where they wrote "I am gay" in a different language they do not know. You can do hilarious things with those kind of people. :p

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't think things will get interesting until 'she' starts asking for money. All kinds of things you can do then. Hell I know for a fact that some people have managed to get the scammers to send a picture of themselves, holding a piece of paper where they wrote "I am gay" in a different language they do not know. You can do hilarious things with those kind of people. :p
That's what I'm hoping for. It's kind of a shame that I'm getting scammed with this particular set up, because there are those people who've actually managed to scam the scammer out of money. That's why I'm not going to say anything too crazy until "she" gets to the meat and potatoes of the scam. Anyway, new email received, I haven't replied yet.

Hello Devin,

Good to read from you and i understand all you said about you and your family,Hope you know that i am presently residing down here in Nigeria at the moment,You seem like you are very down to earth and laid back, and that is good. It's good to see you are affectionate and like showing your feelings. I am the same as well. I believe that partners are 100% equal in a relationship and both should be able to feel they can trust each other 100% at all times. I feel that any woman who ever disrespects a man is not a woman at all. I am affectionate also and I have no trouble showing it for the right man in public or private. I love to cuddle while watching a good movie, when were in bed, I love to hug and kiss my man at anytime and anywhere it could be a store,mall or just on a sidewalk. You are looking for long term, I am looking for something permanent :) and I know it takes time and a lot of good effort to form a good relationship. I want a man to be my best friend at all times, my sweetheart, love of my life, my partner and my soul mate all wrapped up into one lovely man. I would be all of that for him and more,I would love him with all of my heart and have nothing but good feelings for him. He should be a very caring person, with a lot of good feelings, be honest, reliable,pleasant personality and have a sense of humor. I am trying not to ramble here for you but I am looking for the "One". What does that mean to me? He is the person that you can't wait until he comes home from work so you can kiss him and sit down and relax in front of the TV or go out and spend an evening together. The person that just calls to see how your day is going but knows that it just got much better because you are talking to each other. He gives you a lift when you are down NOTE: I believe we have lots of chemistry together and with that i believe we could make this friendship a long and lasting one if only we are both ready to give in our best and ready to take it to the next level.If you do believe we could acheive this together then i will suggest we delete our profile from the dating site where we met so we wont get distracted by other singles? i attached my pics and i will like to see more of your pics.
Rachael
I'm not her Dearest Devin anymore :( I love how the photos I received are probably the thumbnail images from someone elses social networking page.

Attachments

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You met on a datingsite? Hahaha, great, never knew Facebook was a dating site. It's odd though, most scammers usually don't make such long posts (regarding the relationship-money-scams at least). No longer than 2 or 3 sentences though.

Get talking about going to the next level. Tell her you really like her, that you think the same about men and women. :p

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You wouldn't believe how many people (all in Nigeria) do this. If only one would email-scam me. Ooooh...I get all warm and fuzzy inside thinking about the hilarious possibilities.

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You met on a datingsite? Hahaha, great, never knew Facebook was a dating site. It's odd though, most scammers usually don't make such long posts (regarding the relationship-money-scams at least). No longer than 2 or 3 sentences though.

Get talking about going to the next level. Tell her you really like her, that you think the same about men and women. :p

Yeah, that's what is amusing to me about this. I've gotten emails from scammers that probably send them out en masse, but nothing like the level of personal action like this before. And besides, who knows? I may get lucky and she'll be real and come to the US on her dime :O

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You wouldn't believe how many people (all in Nigeria) do this. If only one would email-scam me. Ooooh...I get all warm and fuzzy inside thinking about the hilarious possibilities.
Once she mentioned Nigeria, I am 99% sure this is a scam.

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
That's what I'm hoping for. It's kind of a shame that I'm getting scammed with this particular set up, because there are those people who've actually managed to scam the scammer out of money. That's why I'm not going to say anything too crazy until "she" gets to the meat and potatoes of the scam. Anyway, new email received, I haven't replied yet.

I'm not her Dearest Devin anymore :( I love how the photos I received are probably the thumbnail images from someone elses social networking page.
Go ask her for full sized images with a piece of paper with your name on it.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I wouldn't do that. You might give 'her' reason to think that you are doubting her sincerity (and make her think, that you think, she is scamming you). Thus, possibly ruining your scam-fun possibilities later.

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
I wouldn't do that. You might give 'her' reason to think that you are doubting her sincerity (and make her think, that you think, she is scamming you). Thus, possibly ruining your scam-fun possibilities later.
At least he can ask her a bigger picture, as the one she gave her were rather small.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom