i shouldve realized this wouldnt work

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
well, i had this grand idea to make windwaker style shading into HL, i had a plan, a concept so i got to work,

i wasnt planning on revealing my method until i released a model like this, or else id have people taking the credit for it, writing thier own tut and gnoring tthier sources, (as happened with my skinmapping tut and outlining tut), some even using my own images, BUT

i realized after i finally got the model compiled and such that it wasnt going to work, so i give this technique to yo all, do with it as you wish, if you can find a way to get it into HL do it

step 1, copy the chrome texture from any model with a chorome texture, (its easier than making your own)

step 2, divide it onto halves, down the middle top to bottom coor one side solidly the light color of your skin, and the other the shadow shade,

step 3 apply that to the part of the model you wish to look shady with that color, make sure you click sphere map, (this is where i messed up, i assumed it was the same as chrome,...WRONG)

after doing this to the entire model youll come up with something like this

(yes thats solidus's model, i figured what better way to test windwaker shading than on a link model) NO its not released, ITS JUST FOR A PICTURE DEMO OF WHAT I DID. i planned on making my own link windwaker style after this to release my method, but as you already know it failed

reason i release it is cuz it dont work, it looks fine in ms3d, but not in hlmv or HL,
i assumed spheremap was the same effect as chrome, ITS NOT, so my "grand idea" was flushed down the toilet,

this explaining the subject, i shouldve thought about this before i got all hyped up

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
doh... good idea though, would have been great if it had worked... if anyone figures it out, give me a bell, and a link model will be on its way to u... can i just ask nuttzy, how/ where did you get my model?

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i think you sent it to me yourself, heh, wanted me to fix some assignment problems,

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
oh right, yeah, wow, how long ago was that...
(i have no short term memory u see, this year is a blank...)
if you dont mind, can i just say that ive now learnt to animate, and ill be starting work on getting link in game with custom anims as soon as ive finished my "other project ;) "
thanks for bringing link back to my attention anyway nuttzy, i can finally get it offa that back burner..

Best answers
can you open it with HL model viewer and set it to "Chrome"? that would be a sweet new cel style shading technique we could all use..

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
hmmm ... too bad it didn´t wotk..
oh and solidus sorry for not sending you the model till now but i was busy with work and doing my own model

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
thats what i tried, chrome seems to arrange the texture differently that spheremapping it, thats what i was hoping itd do

Best answers
dang.. cuz when you add it with an oultine, you can get some really cool effects..

woulda had the first poorman's cel-shading..
There must be a way to set it to chrome in the qc file.. they use it in HL..

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
what i like about this though is that the shadows move as well, they get strange in some places, but in most cases it will provide a workin anime "ish" shadow, i didnt add an outline, cuz i planned on this model going ingame, (for me to give ya ingame shots not to release)

but in hlmv when i tried to apply the chrome attribte it didnt work the same as a spheremap, thus halting my project

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
yeah i recognized this too ..
Milkshape´s spher map is a lot different then hlmv´s chrome
so the effects are different you should always try in both of them

Best answers
Oh, duh... sorry, you allready said chrome didn't work. hmmm. Is the "sphere map" function ever used in HL? or is it just another name for chrome?

Yeah, it's not perfect cel-like shading, but I think If someone wanted to use it, they could build the model in such a way as to make better use of the shpere map. Oh, the lines should work in game..

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
the lines do work ingame, but not on a 4000 poly model, hehe,

the model is 1.8 k polys without the outline, so i didnt add them, in windwaker there no outlines anyways, so i figured thisd work

Best answers
oh yeah, you'd definatley have to make the model so that it would suport the outlines with a reasonable speed.

2D/3D Artist
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
so you actualy tried to make a real cel-shading effect
and it didnt work...
looks cool too bad it cant be done in hlmv...

can you tell me what you did here with the shadows...?

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i said how in the first post,

the shadow moves with the characters, its not just stuck in place, like in windwaker, if you seen the shadows in that, thats what this looks like,

since spheremap treats the skin differently than chrome it wont work, i assumed they were the same but i was wrong, it is IMPOSSIBLE to import this technique onto a HL model and recompile it with the effect still intact

2D/3D Artist
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
damn....that looks awesome i just tried it on a model and it looks just like cel-shading...
damn that sucks that it cant work on hl model......
thanks anyway cool effect...

hemmm...another problem...you cant make a face and details...am i right?
cuz its just going to move like the shadows...

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
you cooudl still make details, youd just hafta make a few faces right outside the main group so close you couldnt tell they were speerate, the EXACT shape of the eye, and draw it on that but no you couldnt ad deials right onto the skin like you normally would

2D/3D Artist
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
sounds hard to make...

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
its not hard, you jus hafta make a new bmp for every color you want displayed

adding details over it would be just as hard as building an eye nto a model you just hafta make it seperate, or regroup it from the model

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom