I shook God's hand today...

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
... and it was hairy.

That's right, ladies and gentlemen, I shook the hand of MADDOX.

I caught him today (July 26th) in Boston on his book signing tour. Pictures can be found here probably tomorrow. There are already pictures up from the previous book signing locations.

After getting lost in Boston for about 45 minutes, I showed up at the signing event about 30 minutes late. There were approximately 200 people in line ahead of me (not joking). I stood in line for over an hour.

When my turn came up to enter the presence of Maddox, I stepped up expecting a friendly "Hello~" or something similar. Instead I got this:

Maddox said:
Dude, nice shirt!
(This is what i was wearing: http://xs302.xs.to/xs302/06261/che-shirt.jpg)

After that, Maddox flipped open my book and looked at the Post-It note. (note: a woman had come around earlier and asked us if we wanted our books dedicated to anyone, wrote their name on the note, and stuck it inside the book) Then he said "The Minions? What's that about?", and I proceeded to explain how I'm (co)leader of a group of programmers/hackers, blah blah. He thought it was cool, so he signed the book appropriately:

http://xs302.xs.to/xs302/06261/signed_book.jpg O/

After some further conversation about a secret project, he gave me a way to contact him, had me write my name on a Post-It note (which was stuck to his desk so he could save it), and then said good-bye.

He seems to be a very relaxed, very down-to-Earth guy, even though I was only able to spend 45-60 seconds speaking to him (which was much longer than anyone else ahead of me).

Now, the cost of this trip:

* I have been awake since 4-5 PM EST yesterday, so driving 70 miles to Boston and back was not tubular.
* Getting lost due to crappy directions from Google Maps was very ungnarly.
* Pulling into a garage before I noticed the sign that said "Valet Parking" and racking up $33 in parking fees was lame.
* Waiting in line for an hour and 15 minutes listening to some "wannabe" intellectual behind me calling the French alphabet "Roman" (among other stupid things) was irritating.
* Having some girl look right at me and say "OMG, WHY DO YOU HATE BOB MARLEY?" when I'm wearing an Anti-Che shirt was pretty funny though. She got publicly ridiculed for that one.

But I would do it all again! Even though Maddox is an internet celebrity, he may only ever release one book, and if so, this is his only book-signing tour ever. Once in a lifetime chance I guess. If Opti hadn't linked me to his "tour" page last night, I wouldn't have remembered to check the tour date listing until later this month or so, and would have missed my only oppurtunity. =D

Oh and, The Coding Minions own you O/

Best answers
I was about to say that your hand was really greasy but i guess you are talking about another god :-\

🍂 Regular
Best answers
Man, I'm ****ing jealous, I wish Maddox would come to Holland and do a signing tour.

Minions for Life O/

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
That's awesome! I'm totally jealous now, damn you!

Best answers
Excuse my ignorance, but who the hell is Maddox? I clicked the hyperlink, but didn't really see anything explaining himself.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
The Using Classes said:
Excuse my ignorance, but who the hell is Maddox?
OMG BLASPHEMY +B

O/////////////////////////////////

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
Walmart Security said:
Excuse my ignorance, but who the hell is Maddox? I clicked the hyperlink, but didn't really see anything explaining himself.
God in 'satirist' form. Read some of his old articles to see what I mean.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Goooo Kurt!

We might get more people joining teh secrot channol now :O

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I never heard of Maddox either, so what's with this big following about him?

It's cool I guess that you got to meet someone who seems to be somewhat a celebrity (from what everyone here made him sound like), let alone give you contact information.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
O/

you rock, your so getting my little sister.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Heh, I hope Maddox joins the channel. Give him Op status if he does o/.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
That is ****ing awesome!

Walmart Security said:
Nobody lives in that much ignorance! Were you suprised byt the sun this morning, by any chance?

Best answers
A guy being an e-thug = god?

Damn! Need to grow some e-penis then >_<

BTW, that intellectual person probably meant that the french language is based on the roman language, and that's true (just like dutch is german)

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Kimfu said:
I completely second that point.

english came from latin too btw...

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
Kimfu said:

Damn! Need to grow some e-penis then >_<
Maddox isn't an e-thug, he's a genius satirist who happens to target certain "groups" of people in some of his articles.

I mean, the guy has an article telling you how to beat your kids to make them fear you. Don't take everything he says seriously. :p His website is also for humor.

BTW, that intellectual person probably meant that the french language is based on the roman language, and that's true (just like dutch is german)
She was saying other funny stuff too: "I hate when books for NON-Roman languages use all Roman letters. Like, you know, that things where they convert all the sounds to english-like?" So I turn around and say "Transliteration?" and she's like "Yeah! That, it's so dumb." Then I was like "..." and tried to ignore her for the rest of the wait.

She was just being a tool in general, trying to sound smart ;p Pointing out obvious books like 1984 as we weaved through the aisles.

Lots of languages branch from/use bits of Latin, although most language trees that I have seen show English as being strictly Germanic in direct descent (for whatever reason).

Best answers
Well I know that what Maddox says, is meant to be satirical.. But in my personal and humble opinion, he's still acting like the every day e-thug :)

Anyway, glad you got to meet an idol of yours :) I was quite ecstatic too this weekend when meeting Max Cavalera, but that's a different story ;)

BTW, english does indeed have germanic influences, but I wouldn't call it a direct decent.. That's the result of having multiple "owners" throughout history (french, dutch, spanish, english)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
the english language as we know it today, wasnt influenced by roman/latin as much as people think. you gotta bear in mind, that rome never conquered germany, or anywhere north of there. so when the norwegians came and like, annihilated us, they took out the roman language too. but by that point, the vikings were populated by people other than just skandinavians, so english is like, a bastardisation of everything :p

Best answers
That kicks ass Kirt. I wish I could go see him when he comes to Ann Arbor. I really want to. But I'm poor, I can't even afford his book at the moment.

By the way, have you read it? Is it good?

And his website is www.thebestpageintheuniverse.com. Named appropriatly, now nubs, go and feed your brains with some of the funniest sattire on the net! Maddox for president! o/

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Heh, I'd be willing to bet the "e-thug" persona of him itself is satire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom