I shook God's hand today...

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Where did i state i look down upon him? i dont know the guy, I've only made any comments relating to his work, i dont mind people criticising my artwork when i post it, and other people shouldnt either, the same applies to his hummor. All i've been trying to do throughout this thread is dispell the myth that he is some sort of god. What scares me is that you're all defending his work, if i had a bunch of groupies going around saying "omgz dont crit davidskiwans artwork! it r teh uber 1337" I'd be more pissed at them than the people with something interesting to say. Plus, i dont think ive met many (if any) people on teh intarweb who arent guilty of what ive typed in the quote codeman, when the only impression you can give people is your words, you have to be consice, clever and to the point, and if you're any good at english, its pretty easy to do, and even harder to resist when people are attacking your viewpoint.

Best answers
I can't seem to find any article i've read to be funny. Well atleast i wasted a couple of hours of my life reading it though.

Best answers
Davidskiwan said:
Heh, southpark is more satirical than Maddox, infact southpark has much more relevant and intellegent observations on society too. To me maddox seems to always point out the blatently obvious
Actually, the satirical genius of South Park comes from the fact that it faces the obvious stereotypes head on, beating the **** out of them - humour style. Which is basically what Maddox does.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I like Maddox; he provides so many fun things to say in conversation with people you don't like. For example: 'Do us a favor and choke'. People never expect you to deviate from the standard '**** off' or 'Go to hell', so a little Maddox here and there can really catch people off guard. But yeah, he is quite hyped.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Scruff said:
Actually, the satirical genius of South Park comes from the fact that it faces the obvious stereotypes head on, beating the **** out of them - humour style. Which is basically what Maddox does.
I think my quote covers my point though, maddox is just blatently obvious and cuts right to the point (in my opinion, its a much cruder method) like which one of these guys is a pedo "oh great, this is really clever" isnt exactly what i thought when i read it. South park is much more clever and a lot of things they barely touch on, or it goes off at a complete tangent that most people wouldnt even relate to what they're really trying to say. I'll take mr hanky for example, the whole point of him was to show that people will even believe in a **** to have a holiday, unite and have a good time, reguardless of faith, social/financial status, not many people even realise that, because its done in a very situational comedy style.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
Kurt` said:
... and it was hairy.

That's right, ladies and gentlemen, I shook the hand of MADDOX.

I caught him today (July 26th) in Boston on his book signing tour. Pictures can be found here probably tomorrow. There are already pictures up from the previous book signing locations.

After getting lost in Boston for about 45 minutes, I showed up at the signing event about 30 minutes late. There were approximately 200 people in line ahead of me (not joking). I stood in line for over an hour.

When my turn came up to enter the presence of Maddox, I stepped up expecting a friendly "Hello~" or something similar. Instead I got this:

(This is what i was wearing: http://xs302.xs.to/xs302/06261/che-shirt.jpg)

After that, Maddox flipped open my book and looked at the Post-It note. (note: a woman had come around earlier and asked us if we wanted our books dedicated to anyone, wrote their name on the note, and stuck it inside the book) Then he said "The Minions? What's that about?", and I proceeded to explain how I'm (co)leader of a group of programmers/hackers, blah blah. He thought it was cool, so he signed the book appropriately:

http://xs302.xs.to/xs302/06261/signed_book.jpg O/

After some further conversation about a secret project, he gave me a way to contact him, had me write my name on a Post-It note (which was stuck to his desk so he could save it), and then said good-bye.

He seems to be a very relaxed, very down-to-Earth guy, even though I was only able to spend 45-60 seconds speaking to him (which was much longer than anyone else ahead of me).

Now, the cost of this trip:

* I have been awake since 4-5 PM EST yesterday, so driving 70 miles to Boston and back was not tubular.
* Getting lost due to crappy directions from Google Maps was very ungnarly.
* Pulling into a garage before I noticed the sign that said "Valet Parking" and racking up $33 in parking fees was lame.
* Waiting in line for an hour and 15 minutes listening to some "wannabe" intellectual behind me calling the French alphabet "Roman" (among other stupid things) was irritating.
* Having some girl look right at me and say "OMG, WHY DO YOU HATE BOB MARLEY?" when I'm wearing an Anti-Che shirt was pretty funny though. She got publicly ridiculed for that one.

But I would do it all again! Even though Maddox is an internet celebrity, he may only ever release one book, and if so, this is his only book-signing tour ever. Once in a lifetime chance I guess. If Opti hadn't linked me to his "tour" page last night, I wouldn't have remembered to check the tour date listing until later this month or so, and would have missed my only oppurtunity. =D

Oh and, The Coding Minions own you O/
Maddox huh? I'm thinking of buying the book after reading some of the articles on his site. And who's the Coding Minions?

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I browsed through his book at BnN's and laughed at the simply just the pics in most cases.

After reading a lot of truth... I'm starting to think he might be God. (even though he'd say he was better)

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
hmm he is quite the excellent writer, and pretty funny too

hes no stephen colbert but hes definitely good

Best answers
wth is it with this Maddox
is it some sort of Americans' thingy? I checked out his "BEST SITE IN THE UNIVERSE" hes pretty sarcastic and ultra funny

Best answers
oh I've had a glinch over his work
most impressive ($$$$)

ahhh I'd like to have my hands over his 'best comic....'

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom