I need to replace my motherboard

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I need to replace my motherboard because it's evil and possessed. The problem is, I have no idea what motherboard to get that would be compatible with the parts I have. The motherboard I have right now is discontinued.

My specs:
CPU: AMD Phenom II x6 1090T
HDD: SATA-III
Ram: DDR 3
Motherboard: GigaByte GA-870A-UD3 AMD 870/SB850 chipset
Videocard: Geforce GTX 470

Did I leave anything out? I just want a replacement motherboard that's under 200 dollars, preferably something that supports USB 3.0 (motherboards are responsible for that, right?) If anyone wants to point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.

edit: Form factor would be ATX for the case. Would this work?
www.pcpartpicker.com/part/asrock-motherboard-z77extreme4

Last edited:
Force Pit Member
Best answers
What you need to look for is the right socket that can fit your processor. It seems that your processor fits a, AM3 socket, whereas the motherboard you linked is a 1155 socket.

EDIT: Furthermore, you need to think about the RAM, if it can fit into the new motherboard you wish to buy. I suggest you look into buying a new MB, processor and go for a memory upgrade :)

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
am3 should be compatible with am3 + so yes that mobo should do just fine.
Just keep in mind that your gtx 470 doesn't get in the way of your ram modules. should be clearly visible on images.
Depends on your ram mostly. if you have corsair ram with spikes on that could cause a problem. if it's regular ram than don't worry.

--- edit ---

also what helps is actually reading the list of compatible hardware on the mobo site.
And i'd pick asus motherboards over any other. but that's just me.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Asrock makes pretty solid mobos, the one you picked looks good.

1.21 Gigawatts!
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131736

"4133Mhz at 1.45V stable for 3 hours of Prime 95 Blend and 20 runs of LinX"

OR

MSI 990FXA-GD80V2
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130649

Bouth are very good overclockers. With MSI you get a free 1 stick of 8gb of ram G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB DDR3 1600 (limited time offer at newegg). Oh this is a personal preference but i like Asus mobos. I have a 50$ Asus mobo that isn't even made for overclocking yet i have been overclocking dual cores and quads and still running perfectly for 5 years now.

Last edited:

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I just bought it, went with this one http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asrock-motherboard-970extreme3

My thanks to everyone who helped out, lord knows I have no idea what I'm doing. Slofreak, didn't go with your first one because it was discontinued, and the second one was just much more expensive than the one I linked. I just want something that works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom