I knew the PS3 Controller looked familiar

KyoKusanagi

K
Upon browsing through an old issue of EGM (i think it was April 98) i came across an ad for a new control pad for the Playstation.

http://www.vidgames.com/ps/hardware/alpspad.jpg

Turns out this pad was quite popular and often considered by many to be superior to the original controller - i guess now the best way to see for yourself how the new PS3 controller will feel is to go find an Alps Interactive pad.

Best answers
That was superior to the original controller? Hmm maybe when analog wasn't around...but once you put the analogue sticks on.....
http://www.ps3land.com/ps3-pictures/picture54.php
Ok, so it'll give more hand room grip than the PSX & PS2 controller, but the width will make it harder to grip, and make the buttons & analogue a strech to use.
But we shall find out come 2006. Intresting find anyway.

Best answers
looks a bit wide... they are prolly gonna do what Xbox did when their controllers were to big, make a smaller model.

L

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Like I said before.. it will be a pain to try and push the L and R button's..

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Fatal_CobraX said:
Like I said before.. it will be a pain to try and push the L and R button's..
Cause you have one? Right? You're not going to hold the controller from the bottom of those prongs, they look like they're merely there for aesthetics. If you did that, you wouldn't be able to reach the buttons.

Moved to video gaming.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
KyoKusanagi said:
Upon browsing through an old issue of EGM (i think it was April 98) i came across an ad for a new control pad for the Playstation.

http://www.vidgames.com/ps/hardware/alpspad.jpg

Turns out this pad was quite popular and often considered by many to be superior to the original controller - i guess now the best way to see for yourself how the new PS3 controller will feel is to go find an Alps Interactive pad.
Dude, I have EGM Issues from 97-99 (and maybe 2000 as well). I also thought it looked familier but I never felt like going through my old magazines. But yeah I knew the PS3 Controller's design was similar.

The D-Pad on that controller however looks good for 2D Fighters if you ask me :p At the moment im not liking any of the next gen controllers for either system.

Best answers
o.o

ooooeeeeh, ps3 controller. the shape...hmm, delicious. it can probably fit in some funky places on my body...hmm, vibration.

can't wait to 2006

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
doodoo said:
o.o

ooooeeeeh, ps3 controller. the shape...hmm, delicious. it can probably fit in some funky places on my body...hmm, vibration.

can't wait to 2006
Im praying to God your a girl... If not.. thats wrong

Validated Steam Engine
🌈 Beta Tester
✔️ HL Verified
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
Shadershi said:
The Playstation controler was always the best.
And why was the pad so good? Because it was a copy of the Snes pad but with prongs and another 2 shoulder buttons.

That ps3 pad looks uncomfortable.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hopefully they'll create a compatible Bluetooth Silver PS2 controller as well.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The SNES controller was so much better than the PS2 controllers. They had less buttons and the L and R buttons were larger, making it less stressful to push them. When you use the two analog sticks and the 4 shoulder buttons of a PS2 controller, it's not only uncomfortable but also rather hard to do.

And the PS3 controller looks ungodly horrendous.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The SNES Controller was crap compared to PS2 Controllers, I donno what your talking about.

The D-PAD on the SNES felt hardened, and of course the L & R buttons are bigger, because there was no L2 or R2. Even then, thats not even a problem on the PS2 controllers. Not to mention the controller is pressure sensitive which is useful for many games.

I dont know why people keep trying to compete old hardware/software with new ones. Too much pride if you ask me.

Eon

TeeHee
Banned
Best answers
LOL people are comparing the SNES to the ps2...phew..funny..

anyways, the controller is huge, by the time ps17 rolls around, you'll have to buy a new house to fit all the buttons in there. :O

Best answers
omg that controller sux0rs :S i hate it ;D hope u can use ps2 controller in ps3

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'll agree that it looks bad, but seriously, don't judge it until you try it. Compare it all you want, but it's not going to be the same as any other previous controller. I actually got to talk to a sony spopkesman the other day at BestBuy while I was working, and she mentioned that the controllers were still subject to change. You never know, they may redesign it if things don't go well. The Playstation has never failed with their controllers in my opinion, and I don't think they will now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom