I hate double tapping

Best answers
I got pissed off after playing for 30 minutes because my finger got tired and I couldnt enjoy the rest of the game.

You cannot respond as fast and this shouldn't be an issue. It makes the game feel clunky and not nearly as smooth as 1.1.

When double tapping you dont always press the first tap hard enough so that it registers, which is just frustrating and makes you lose fights for no reason. This depends more on a persons actual hand and keyboard than the game, and I dont feel it should be this way.

Make it something like pressing a second key while holding a direction to begin swooping, because people will develop carpal tunnel playing like this.

(P.S. I had more stuff to say but vbulletin messed up and made me more angry so i'll leave it at this)

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
I think you just have to get used to it, and that doesnt happen after 30 minutes of playing. I tried esf 1.1 just before the release once and I finded that I can swoop way more easily with 1.2 then with 1.1, so if I where you I would practise a bit more heh

Best answers
Well, along with the fatigue plus the wear and tear that my wrist has gone thru (I'll be suing ESF shortly for my carpal tunnel, jk =P)...

One thing I would have liked for an option is to keep the target box for those who want it. I went into a server of about 12 ppl yesterday and found myself hitting different people everytime-- even though my intent was to fight only the one person I was originally hitting.

I'm not a fan of the double tap. And as stated above in the first post, it doesn't feel as smooth as 1.1 because the first time u double tap, there's a akward "double step" kinda thing.. like traveling in a basketball game.

I've also noticed that its not user friendly for those of us who like to "coast" after a swoop (in 1.1 --clicking mouse 1 to stop swoop then clicking the fly button to free fall in a very smooth fashion). Its not smooth because you have to hold down the arrow key or another key that makes u swoop... its not just a click-click toggle like 1.1.

I'd like to see ESF release an update like a few other mods, such as Natural Selection, have done to level the game out as best as possible. I've played esf since 2nd week that 1.0 came out and I've loved the game since. I just don't want to lose interest in it due to some things coming out a bit sloppy. 1.1 was ideal whether people liked the "howing" or not. Bottom line: Keep the 1.1 swoop system and incorporate the new 1.2 combo system. Would be a perfect blend! =D

Best answers
yeah, Swoop in 1,1 was only for attacking
Swoop in 1,2 is also for running, dogeing, and attacking.

Best answers
I can understand that it would be nice to get around faster without being targeted to someone, but i personally think its easier to fight when you don't have both hands going crazy at once. I played one-handed pretty much in 1.0 and 1.1 with the exception of ki charging and the jump button-- all my controls were on my mouse. Now I gotta move with the arrows and manuvuer with the mouse. I liked the swoop toggling of 1.1 instead of having to hold the arrow down in 1.2. It would be cool if you could double tap your arrow key then let off to start ur swoop... after that if u want to change direction just hit any other direction. Hitting the same direction while in the swoop will stop the swoop. If you hit -> -> you would go right until the swoop time ends or you could tap -> again and your swoop stops manually.

Best answers
How about this quit complaining and learn to play the game. Because basically when you get the hang of it it is easy. What you should do is host a game for yourself go 1on1 with a bot for about an hour if you need more time then an hour and a half.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think it is mostly getting used to it, but you don't have to be rude telling him that. o_O
I find the new swooping system very fluid and smooth. I personally wub it. :D

Best answers
Double tapping will ALWAYS take longer to execute than some other key combo. These keyboards aren't made to be double tapped like that (gamepads and such are). Its not an issue of how easy it is, it just isnt fluid.

When someone is swooping towards you and you just recovered, you wont have enough time to begin swooping towards them, while in 1.1 you could.

I'm not saying it should be targeted like in 1.1, just that it could be easier on the hands.

Best answers
Yes, it does take more work with 1.2. You have to actually aim and work a little harder. But that's why it is advanced melee, you can't just sit back and play one handed... that's the point.

+I've actually never ever had my hand/fingers hurting from playing too much in a game... ever... for some odd reason it falls asleep instead O_O and its always the movement key hand! the one thats always moving! It's so odd! AHHHH!!

I mean.. try dieing in CS and then saying "My hand fell asleep" and see how many "ROFL OGL SCRUB"'s you get D: D: D: D: D:!

Best answers
i dont really like the double tap
i suggested sumthing in another thread bout using the mouse (double click) instead
but i think other than that its way beta than 1.1
i hated the target
i love how u can bash 1 guy then go afta sum1 else without targeting
and then get bash by sum1 as soon as u finish

Sound Artist
Best answers
There's no such thing as not pressing hard enough unless your keyboard is broken. Double tap is a good system, unless your ping is really high or your fps are really low. In which you must increase the gap between your taps. You'd be a fool to favor a forward direction swoop with barely any control at all. You're probably getting beat by people who grasped the concept quicker and don't like the situation very much:) AS for keyboard's not being ment to double tap, ever heard of Unreal Tournament? They use double tapping to dodge.

Best answers
Zybon said:
Double tapping will ALWAYS take longer to execute than some other key combo. These keyboards aren't made to be double tapped like that (gamepads and such are). Its not an issue of how easy it is, it just isnt fluid.

When someone is swooping towards you and you just recovered, you wont have enough time to begin swooping towards them, while in 1.1 you could.

I'm not saying it should be targeted like in 1.1, just that it could be easier on the hands.

its much much worse on a notebook keyboard as well. Those HPs have pretty horrid keyboards. I tried playing on one and I could only swoop a third of the time.

Best answers
I'm not sure keyboards were invented for gaming.... but look what we have now.

As for the crappy keyboard issue.. i tell ya what... go get some bottles, and in about 2 weeks get ya self 15 bucks and go buy ya a nice one :p

Best answers
What I mean by not pressing hard enough is that, by attempting to get through the first tap quickly, you barely put any pressure on the key so it may not get pressed down.

Also, if someone just knocked you down and is swooping toward you and you just got up, you don't have time to swoop away (and you may not have enough energy to teleport).

Best answers
You know this is the only gripe i have now with 1.2 :(
It is useable, but in the long run it *IS* annoying to use and is one of the only reasons i get tired of playing 1.2
Holding another button down (say shift) then pushing the direction once would be better and less strain on the tendons.
If anyone has a way of making 1.2 swooping easier (like using a joystick or something) post your findings here.

Best answers
to make everyone happy in 1.2 patch or in 1.3 make it so 1.2 melee system is one attack and 1.1 melee is another attack? whouldnt that make life easier then having to fuse em together even tho 1.2 has already done an awsome job at that? :O

Best answers
Just remember you don't have to double tap to quickly, or maybe there can be a setting that allows you to adjust the ammount of time for the double tap. (like in ut2k3/2k4 for dodges)

Best answers
or....people could realize that like in the show you can't always swoop away from things... if you lose your cool you wont do it properly and you will have to take that beam in the face. Simple as that, learn how to keep your cool, practice more.. you wont have this problem.

Best answers
imo beta 1.2 melee is more simple to learn then 1.1...

but that just me ! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom