ESF Head Team Mapper
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🍂 Regular
Best answers
Has anybody seen this movie yet?
I just watched it and it was amazing. Will Smith did such a great job on this movie
Also, some scenes were aside from special effects pretty awesome. Like the first time they showed the dead empty streets with grass coming through the asphalt and deserted cars everywhere was just impressive. Kind of remarkable how fast nature could wipe out almost everything ever created by man.

Spoiler
The scene were his dog died made me sooo sad T_T ... and if you listen carefully, that one almost cured rat from before (in the cages) squeaked like a normal rat just a second after he killed sam ... so curel.
The ending though was a bit disappointing and abrupt. I wish they would've made the end dialog from XX years later perspective.

If you haven't seen it yet, go watch it.
I'd rate it 9.5/10

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
9.5? I'd give it something closer to an 8. It was well acted, but it left me unsure how good I thought it was. It wasn't good, it wasn't bad... it just was.

And through the whole movie I was waiting for Will Smith to figure out what the darkstalker type guys were after, but he managed to blow everything up before then.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I liked what it eventually stood for. I personally thought the religious themes that came in later were very abrupt, with very little obvious buildup until the movie's 3rd act. But I still am glad for a movie like this.

It tells you to have faith, and also gives a mighty fine example of why even for medicinal purposes with the best intentions, toying with genetics can backfire on us severely. A miracle cancer cure turned into a plague that killed 90% of the world and turned all but 12-million of the rest into zombie/vampire things!

But anyway, one thing I liked about this movie was the star zombie with the leather coat. I've seen a lot of things, but I've never seen a zombie which retained it's capacity for cleverness. I even wonder if he stalked Smith because the female he took for his lab tests meant something to him.

I dislike however, both the abruptness of the ending, and the zombies themselves, which while terrifying when unseen in the hive encounter before we first see them, become nothing terrifying at all when they're seen. They have an unworldly roar, and an impossibly outstretched jaw, but otherwise they're just unarmed humans with a high threshold for pain...And Smith's character is immune, so you've nothing to fear from an encounter. If the worst it could do was bite his shoulder and try to shake him like a doll (unsuccesfully) then these are pretty unthreatening Hellspawn...

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
@ frsblch - How would you expect him to know that? It's not like he could sit around all night watching pack behavior. He locks his ****ing doors at night because that's the logical thing to do. You saw the part where the alpha male exposed himself to sunlight after watching the alpha female be kidnapped. Neville had never seen that **** before. He came to the conclusion that it was the result of diminished survival instincts, because they are, after all, monsters. Do you honestly think you'd come to a better conclusion than that after 3 years of observing mindless monsters behaving like mindless monsters?

Anyway, I thought the movie was great. It had a bit of everything. I agree about the part mentioned by DJ above. Poor Neville. :(

I have to say though, the mannequins were funny as hell (that's not spoiling anything for people who might not have seen it). He set up mannequins all over the city to talk to. That's one lonely man. He even got a fake crush on one in a movie rental store haha.

EDIT: @ J-Dude - The head deathseeker wasn't clever. All he did was mimic what Neville did, and Neville fell into it.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
EDIT: @ J-Dude - The head deathseeker wasn't clever. All he did was mimic what Neville did, and Neville fell into it.
Certainly he didn't come up with the mechanics on his own; he obviously was either watching Neville make it, or "reverse engineered" the trap when night fell.

But still, finding the proper bait, using the puddle to hide the snare, and setting it all up so he would be trapped there until he could freely get him was clever for a mindless monster. Even more impressive was setting the infected dogs on him first. It's obvious he was determined and had a rhudimentary intellect at his disposal.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
6/10

The movie was just ok until the chick showed up, and then it completely destroyed the experience for me. I can understand changing a book for the better (they changed quite a bit, but it's just a movie so what did I expect, right?), but why would you intentionally make it worse? There weren't supposed to be any other survivors. It was Neville vs. the world. It feels like they threw in the chick just so they could add the "I hear voices and it's God. For real." part and then completely destroy the ending.

If you read the novella or graphic novel, the title is extremely significant. I am Legend. When you finally get up to why he...am...legend, it just blows your mind. It was so incredibly clever. But no, that wasn't good enough. Let's keep a few people alive so that they could reverse mankind's newest evolution and return everyone to normal. I feel like whoever wrote the script completely missed the point.

I was actually furious at the movie when it ended. I've never felt so strongly about move adaptations of books, but the source material was far too awesome to have been changed into something so lame.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
J-Dude said:
Even more impressive was setting the infected dogs on him first. It's obvious he was determined and had a rhudimentary intellect at his disposal.
No, he set the dogs loose first because they're able to go out at dusk. Remember toward the beginning of the movie when he raids the apartment for supplies? Remember the newspaper clipping on the cupboard? "Infected dogs can come out at dusk!" is what it said.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
And he understood that the dogs were able to function at dusk, be it by observation or by watching television. The vampires weren't morons in the book/graphic novel. They were able to speak and interact with one another on a very high level, and frequently taunted Neville. Imagine about a dozen vampires going to your house every single day after sunset, and having one of them yell "COME OUT, NEVILLE!" until sunrise. The movie only hinted at their intelligence, but it was a pretty big hint.

Why did the head vampire stick his head out into the Sun? Because Neville was stealing either a friend, mate or daughter and he desperately wanted to get her back. Imagine how you'd feel if I ran into your house and stole your little sister or your mother and ran away while you watched, knowing full well leaving your house would kill you. The end, where the vampires rush Neville's house was a rescue attempt. They were trying to get the person Neville stole. Why? Because Neville is a known murderer and they fear what he might do to her.

Do yourself a favor and find the graphic novel, at the very least. I'm sure you guys would love it.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm sure I'd love it too, but unfortunately, I don't seem to care enough about it. I hate most fiction books. And I wasn't disputing any of what you said in the second paragraph, so that was pretty much useless.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
its a movie. you have too look at it as such. they change to accordance with allotted time, directors style, and his vision of the movie. i like how the movie played out, having never read the book. spoiler kinda: he was still am legend, the ending wasnt insanely depressing, and will gloriously sacrificed himself in a complete blaze of manhood.

sounds like a good flick too me

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You just ruined the movie for everyone DaRk (for those who haven't read the book anyway, I'm guessing). You might want to put that in white.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm sure I'd love it too, but unfortunately, I don't seem to care enough about it. I hate most fiction books. And I wasn't disputing any of what you said in the second paragraph, so that was pretty much useless.
I know you believe this forum was created as a means to speak specifically to you, but I come here to speak to many people, sometimes simultaneously. If what I'm saying doesn't apply to you, chances are I was speaking to a much broader audience.

In any case, you said the head vampire wasn't clever, which couldn't be farther from the truth because while the vampires in the movie aren't the most social of creatures, they aren't exactly stupid either, and they're more human than people are willing to give them credit for. Even if the vampire had simply watched Neville build the first trap (which is pretty impossible considering no one was watching him, or else they'd have known not to screw with the vial of blood), it takes an intelligent person to be able to replicate it perfectly. He obviously understood what he was doing, and the trap almost worked to the t. It held Neville there long enough for him to arrive with backup. As a bonus, it got Neville to kill his own dog. It was a win/win for the vampire.

@ Dark and anyone who hasn't read the book or graphic novel: At the very least, read the synopsis and find out why Neville was considered legendary. It was so perfectly planned and executed in the book. The book isn't even really about "The end of the world" when you realize what has become of humanity, and when you understand the reversal of roles.

L

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
For a man who created a cure for such a disease, it's unfortunate he didn't figure out a few simple matters if you stopped and thought about it.

That said, it's entertaining.
Ending was a dissapointment, the butterfly reference was a great annoyance as was that damn girl.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Heh, sorry. When someone posts in reply to something I say, I tend to think they're speaking to me. I lost my mind reading powers 17 years ago. I've had no choice but to guess since then. :/

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Also, explain to me how that chick drove away from Manhattan, which is an island for anyone who doesn't know, despite all of the bridges having had been destroyed years earlier.

Silliness. That's how.

@ Spunky: I didn't realize reading comprehension was the same as telepathy.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Boats, you know, float in the water and stuff, and it's not like it's difficult to steal a car with nobody around.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Really? Because they made sure no one was able to escape the island. You know, to keep the virus from spreading. They didn't exactly leave boats hanging around the harbors. I also don't remember her saying "I come from outside of Manhattan." It's also strange that she had the same vehicle at the sanctuary as she did on the island.

Silliness.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
At what point did you see the car from the outside when she rescued Neville? o_O

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Unless she stole the same exact car on the other side, the interior is the same.

Edit: Oh, and another point about the Vampires being intelligent. Who do you think moved the mannequin?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Oh well. Who gives a **** about a similar interior? That really doesn't matter at all. Similar interior != same car. It's still plausible that she could escape the island (in a boat) and steal another car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom