How to stop saying a word?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, recently my friend brought the attention to me that I have a horrible habit of saying "Foo" at the end, like way back in 6th grade.

Here's some example:

"Hey foo, did you hear about blah?"
"Wanna goto the arcade foo?"
"This foo was trying to do blahblahblah"
"aye foo, blah blah blah"
"foo, did you hear about the new game?"

I never ****ing noticed it until my friend told me to stop. Now I can completely notice and I say it after every sentence, it's ****ing annoying me to all kingdom come.

Is there any actual way to get me to stop saying it? Like anything I can do.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I know of one way which will bring about an end to you uttering this word, but I try not to advocate suicide.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Realization of a certain behavior is the first step. Now you have to consciously stop yourself from saying it. If you slip up, say to yourself, "Holy ****ing ****, stop it." Over time, you'll either stop saying that word or replace it with another word or phrase.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Not really much you can do about it.

Its a habit. You do it automatically.

A good way is to concentrate on every word you want to say in a sentence. Remember to speak slower that way youll be in full controll. Once you dont need to concentrate so much on the words you want to speak without actually using "foo" you step up the paste of your talking untill you reach your normall speed.

This takes a lot of effort and concentration. And for a while at the start you may look like an idiot. But its a good way to get rid of such a habit.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I shall take this idea from a Samuel L. Jackson movie.

Anytime you say "foo", quickly add on "ever", so it will sound like "forever", which is a typical word. It makes no sense to say "hey forever, let's go to the arcade", so you'll eventually stop saying it.

I think.

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Slap yourself in the face every time you say it or even think the word. Not so hard it really hurts but enough to be annoying. You'll catch yourself a lot and eventually you should condition yourself not to do it.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Have someone slap you every time you say it.

King of the Hello Kitty Fanclub
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I have the same problem calling people "Champ" It started off mockingly cause I hated when people would call me champ, but now it's grown on me and I keep using it. I usually just pretend I'm mocking someone calling them that, but it still tears me up on on the inside.

Lord of Chaos
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Realization of a certain behavior is the first step. Now you have to consciously stop yourself from saying it.
It's the best way. Just think about what you're saying and most of the time you'll end up realizing you're going to say it, then bite your tongue or lip hard enough that it hurts.

You'll stop saying it eventually. ;D

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah, if you're conscious that you're saying it, you should slowly stop yourself. Just keep telling yourself to stop saying it.

Or, if you want to annoy people more, you could swap out "foo" for "bro". Don't change anything, just one day switch from one to the other.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Shoot yourself in the nuts. Kudos to anyone who knows what that reference is from.

There's no real way to stop other than to just stop.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's a habit, but I'm (slightly) starting to control it.

I've been noticing, a couple times, not every time, that I was about to say it. usually, I just kind of blurt it out, but a few times, if I am about to say Foo at the end of the sentence, I can catch it.

I'm just hoping I drop it all together. I hardly notice when I say it unless it was recently on my mind.

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Just work through it with solution based therapy as opposed to becoming preoccupied with yourself having a problem.

12 steps man, 12 steps.

Dudemeister
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It will go away on it's own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom