How to spot scripters?

Discord Member
Best answers
I have recently started suspecting many esf players and clan players of scripting. I would love to be able to do my own research and find out just how many are abusing the game in this way. I know I can allways use spectate to analyise their technique, see if they are powering up and going turbo at eaxactly the same time ect... but I think I have heard of key logging in the console? how do you do this ? can only the server do this ?? How many of you really script ? do you have to script to be commpettative against clans ? im no n00b but im not "clan good" yet btw

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I have no idea. But I'd like to know too. I prefer to think the people I play with dont script, but It wouldnt hurt to make sure.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Quick reactions and force of habbits kinda get you accused of scripting, happens to me all the time.

Best answers
lol..noone really scripts....the only type of script i could think of..is the power up and turbo at the same time..but u can set that up in the console as a bind..so its not really that big of a deal..

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You use these babehs:

Heh. Honestly, there's no absolute way of knowing. You just have to see it and make the decision, given you're the server admin. Make sure you've got good reason to suspect them of whatever you claim beforehand, though.

Discord Member
Best answers
I suspect a lot more people script than than they care to admit. I sometimes get accused of cheating too, but only by n00bs. the kind of things that give u an advantage are 1 button swooping, powerup+turbo, block scripts... the list goes on. So there aint a way to log key strokes on a server? dam, guess I will have to use spectate to tell but thats a pain in the ass. In 1.3 is there going to be any way of preventing people using scripts? I know some people dont consider it cheating but when you bind two seperate keys together its obivously not intened to be used that way by the programmers. I try to play as honerably as possilbe, I dont use scripts or ANY exploits, this includes celing juggle, rolling exploits, fast combo, throw kick, block throw.. im sure there are more as well.. Is there a clan out there that spcifically Bans all use of scripts/exploits in their clan ???

Best answers
I know a scripter when I see one.
Some are harder to detect then others but basicly they will be faster then you. Unless they dont know how to play. By faster I mean swoop/charge or swoop/tele and chain swoop situations. Especially when they chain swoop angle you all the time.

Alot of them will win block lame situations time after time. You block and want to counter but you are simply just to slow.

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The best thing to do for now is just disregard it. Unless they admit it there isn't an effective way of knowing whether or not they're doing it, and even if you did know, you couldn't stop them. The fact that they are faster than you does not mean they are scripting. Just treat everyone like the opponent they are in real time gameplay and try not to dwell on whether or not they are cheating.

Best answers
Scripters were easy to beat back when I was playing. They had the same button combo's every time; you learned the sequence and they were toast.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think hes talking more about scripts that aid players in basic melee.

nge

Best answers
There are no useful scripts for this game, they create tradeoffs. Blockscripts do not exist, swoop scripts get rid of your ability to strafe-turn effectivly while drifting, and the turbo+recharge script can easily be replicated by doing something as simple as owning a multi-buttion mouse. I have +recharge bound to mouse4 and +powerup to mouse5, so I've got perfect control of when I want either, and if I want both I simply press both.

Scripts are not nearly as useful as people make them out to be. I honestly could write anyone any script they want, but it would fall into the category of "gimmick" because that's all they are. They have uses in other mods, such as TFC for a one button rocketjump, but in ESF they fail at just about every level.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Exept the point of no errors while swooping. I mean sometimes you get a lagspike that causes you not to swoop (thats me dunno about you) but they swoop evry time. The downside isnt all that big. I mean who flies slow anyhow. They are only limited with teleports.

nge

Best answers
No, honestly, it limits you a ton. Google up the term "bunnyhopping" and read the part where you turn in mid air. You can give yourself air control in ESF or any other HL mod, and denying yourself strafe keys also denys you this ability.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's hard to tell who is scripting. But, I myself have been accused of using scripts oh, about.. five thousand times? There are several people in the community who have admitted to using scripts--I won't name names, but they're pretty obvious.

Out of curiosity, why do you guys think that you need a 'script' to powerup+turbo? I've been able to do that for as long as I can remember, and I've played through numerous versions. You just hold down E to charge up, and then press T with E held down, poof. It doesn't seem to really give you any 'advantage'..

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
If you spec them and when there opponent teles and there still targeting them dead in the middle of the screen..... thats one way i guess
:D

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Dogma said:
If you spec them and when there opponent teles and there still targeting them dead in the middle of the screen..... thats one way i guess
:D
Are you confusing a script with an (aim)hack? That's not a good idea, and it seems many people are treating the two as the same thing. I'm not advocating either, but a script is much less of a problem and more limiting than a hack.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
just because your in a clan doesnt mean your good.

i'd say just host your own rooms, if you think they are cheating / getting owned to hard boot them

no problems.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
ZeroNightmare said:
just because your in a clan doesnt mean your good.
Jea just look at me ^^ i suck.

To anwser Alea:
People script cause they dont want to press W 2 times or cause they cant press E and T a the same time normaly. I know someone that scripts cause he wants to get faster. Evryone has his reason.

But scripts dont realy bother me. There is a bigger problem with blocklame and instahits.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You don't really need a script to do powerup+turbo at the same time, which is what I'm saying.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
If you're a good player you don't have to worry about people that script.
@Numenor - You said that you're not a noob and yet you can't figure out how to press two buttons at the same time so you call the people who can, scripters.

I think you are a noob and anybody that needs to script are also noobs.
Worry about getting better instead of worrying about who is scripting. Once you get better you will see what I mean.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom