How to spot scripters?

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hypothetical situation: What if someone who was really good used scripts? Would your advice be to just "get better"?

I havent seen anyone use scripts (and if I have I wouldnt know anyway since I dont know what to look for). I dont really care if someone uses scripts. I'd just like to know that the person is using it.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Zeonix said:
Hypothetical situation: What if someone who was really good used scripts? Would your advice be to just "get better"?
A really good person wouldn't use scripts..... in fact I think they would make them worse.

Best answers
Smeg said:
A really good person wouldn't use scripts..... in fact I think they would make them worse.
Incorrect it would make him better.

I got all the proof for that from people like Sephize and even myself have tryed them out and saw the extra edge they will give you.
It will take some time to get used to it but once you have adjusted.
You will be faster in swoop situations. Really swoop melee fights are about getting to the right angle and hit as fast as possible. The script will give you those few milli seconds to be faster. Just take ping as a example in ESF it makes a HUGE difference if you have say 20 or 60 ping. WHY? Because you will be faster, its all about speed and skill.
"Pro's" will know what im talking about. Anyway....

A simple swoop script will make average people harder and make very good players nearly unbeatable in "basic" melee combat.
I take Carnage as a example.

Still I quite using them, not because I care if people like them or not but because the game began to feel fake somehow.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Omni said:
A simple swoop script will make average people harder and make very good players nearly unbeatable in "basic" melee combat.
I take Carnage as a example.
I know a few people like that.... but there good people I wouldn't suspect them of using script's.

How would you tell from watching them?

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well in Sephzies case he admits ^^ he started using scropts to get better than Omni. Didnt work though XD

Best answers
Smeg said:
I know a few people like that.... but there good people I wouldn't suspect them of using script's.

How would you tell from watching them?
Seriously it take a trained eye to see a scripter and even then you can make a mistake. But there are some things that makes one suspicious.
How would I know? I played like 100 duels against Sephize and he scripts.
I can see/feel the difference when fighting him.

Grega said:
Well in Sephzies case he admits ^^ he started using scropts to get better than Omni. Didnt work though XD
When he started using scripts it was the first time he beat me 10-9 after like 20 duels. And it was not because he was lucky!

That alone should tell you something...

Discord Member
Best answers
Smeg said:
If you're a good player you don't have to worry about people that script.
@Numenor - You said that you're not a noob and yet you can't figure out how to press two buttons at the same time so you call the people who can, scripters.

I think you are a noob and anybody that needs to script are also noobs.
Worry about getting better instead of worrying about who is scripting. Once you get better you will see what I mean.
I never said that all players who can turbo+Power up are scripting, I said It was one of many possible scripts, dont start just randomly calling people a n00b when you havent even fought them. Again im not saying im better than u, I dont know, I aint fought u. Just stop being so aggresive and insluting to everyone

nge

Best answers
At Zeo- a good player who scripts doesn't become better. A truely good player understands how to manipulate the HL engine to move as freely as the game's code will allow. Swoop scripts will limit you in the sense that you can no longer strafe, which is one of the most important aspects of air control while drifting, which is insanely important as no amount of swoop scripts will EVER catch someone with a true knowlage of Half-Life's air control system and ability.

Listen. I know EVERYTHING there is to know about scripts, I can write any kind've script providing the coders haven't specifically blocked it, and even then I can usually write work-arounds. I see no advantage offered by the said swoop scripts as you give up a VERY powerful ability. Telescripts are pointless because you're probably handicaped if you can't tele that fast anyways. Recharge+turbo isn't even something bad, if someone wants to do that go for it.

Scripts mearly offer a higher degree of customizeation within the games controls. They do not play for you, or make you a good player all of a sudden.

Dogma, scripts are not hacks. Do not confuse the two.

Listen to me. There are very few scripters in this community from what I've seen, and the ones that do script are doing so in order to play in a style that is more comfortable to them. It doesn't actually offer them any real advantage, it offers them a slightly more precise way to do one thing at the expense of giving up another.

I'm sorry if this post comes off as rude. I don't intend for that at all. I understand the issue in its entirety though, so I can comprehend the advantages and disadvantages of every situation with and without scripts.

Best answers
A simple swoop script is double forward ONLY not every direction.

Most people I know who use scripts only use this. And double forward is basicly all you need anyway. It may look like its not much but actually its a big difference and I say this from my own experience.

Really there are no disadvantages to this simple script but only advantages.

Best answers
double w bound to a mouse button = win ^^

Because: you don't have to replace any key and you don't have to use the keyboard in the first place (1.1 swoop).

That's the only useful script I can think of anyway... since it allows alot of things and doesn't create disadvantages. You can still strafe/chainswoop any way you like, instantly swoop after any teleport and instantly counter a block. Also allows some nice tele angles :)

And yes, it does create an advantage, but it's how you use the script that counts as well.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
You CAN check if some person is doing actions via script with server-side plugin ( made by AMXX/Metamod ).
It would log script uses with user controls binding.

Best answers
The reason i don't like scripts is because it allows a person to do something in inhuman time, everytime. That gives a disadvantage to users that actually play the game. The swoop script, though simple is a big advantage when implemented with teleporting...I do consider it cheating and honestly I don't see a reason some one should have to bind keys and set scripts to win. Learning those moves without scripts are actually a lot more fun, i would beleive since you get a better sense of accomplishment pulling off some of the harder comboes

nge

Best answers
The said swoop script also requires a good computer, because a frame drop when you're pushing the key will result in a failed attempt at swooping.

Having a double tap script bound to "w," while useful, also limiting. It will cause a slight delay every time you attempt to move forward with a beam charging. Otherwise, it's got a slightly faster time and a degree of unreliability I wouldn't feel comfortable with. Once again, I feel it's a risk. Binding it elsewhere could be used as well, and yes this could create problems, but I don't feel the "advantage" gained is worth any sort of hassle getting worked up over.

Best answers
alone it isn't as bad but with from examples i have seen mixed with teleporting...it can cause a deadly combination...you know me Nge, i always try to find little ways to keep myself above the rest and from the euros that have helped me demonstrate some of these tactics, they have a potential to be a threat in 1v1 combat

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
@ SS: You of all people shouldn't care if people uses scripts. >.>

I say: Why do you guys care if people uses scripts (this is to Dogma, NGE, Zeo, and anyone else that is a pro). You and I both know we can easily beat people who have scripts. And even if they did use scripts we would never know. And yet we still beat them. Not much of a point in caring now is there.

Now say there was someone who is close, just as good, or better than me and told me they script/hack; Then I'd be a little annoyed. And I would begin to wonder how good they would be with out them. But for the time being. I don't care. And I don't see why you guys should either.

The only thing I wish would happen is if new people would have PROOF that we supposedly script/hack before accusing us. Reason being: We'd never be accused again.

I can't recall all the times i've been kicked/banned from servers for supposedly hacking and or scripting.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Thats my point though. If someone is as good as me or better because of scripts, then I'd feel like I got cheated. Sure, it really doesnt matter since its a game, but I'd still be pissed about it.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Zeonix said:
Thats my point though. If someone is as good as me or better because of scripts, then I'd feel like I got cheated. Sure, it really doesnt matter since its a game, but I'd still be pissed about it.
You of all people -.- You're practically one of the best in esf. Which means, if someone IS using scripts you are beating them anyway. (unless it's like SS or someone) So... you should actually feel good. Because you are better than someone who needs scripts to be at your level.

Best answers
well I think alot of people have alot of good points here and I too would like some kind of command that could limit users from using scripts (doesn't NS have one like that?) but as to spotting one now I've never seen one but I've been called one once or twice so it's not a HUGE problem but only for clan fights and certain other special fights where it needs to be made sure they are not using scripts (encore might be in a nice mood for making another plug-in :p)

I have personally learned that IF someone wants to beat you SO bad they have to transform/script or even hack to win then let em as at the end of the day I know that ok it's gonna piss me off but I know they haven't BEAT me in the real sense of the word so bring on the pwning I don't care and even if they beat me fair and square I'll see how I lost and respect them for winning or call them a *nice looking women* :p

I mean look at omni(btw omni it's ex-ocrana whoopass so I hope you don't mind me using you as a example) for example ok he lost to sep(for what I've been told the first and one of the last times :p) but he knew that sep had to use it to beat him so sep had to actually bend the rules of the game even more then normal to beat him which is quite low as sometimes people are just better then you (I'm talking about me, not omni)

You can ether train, get better and beat them or live with it as I know easily that everyone in ocrana is pretty much better then me but I don't care because they play alot harder then I do and derserve it

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I Beet people with hax anyday. There is this kid called -=|Zen|=-Shadow on ESF, and I know he has aimbot and wallhax, but I still culd beet him anyday.

nge

Best answers
lol @ growler

and saru, I know it's annoying but it's common courtousy amongst us around here anyways not to care if they do and not to use them if we care.

@Zeo, I don't think we have to worry about people better than ourselves useing scripts because it doesn't really matter all that much. If someone wants to use them, they can, but it's not really a big deal either way. Odds are you yourself can beat most players using scripts, and seriously a very small portion of the community would probably be able to use them effectivly.

Fire, I pretty much agree, execpt I'm not really annoyed even when players of equal or greater skill use them because I see it as a form of customizeation. There's no real way to stop this- if I wanted to, I could easily get a 3rd party program called a "macro editor" and through a slightly more complex system, work in any script you could write in for this game without writing a single script.

This is something that's never really bothered me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom