how much for a vista computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Best answers
When Vista gets out i want to buy a new computer (hopefully ill have a job by then)

So, i was wondering if anyone knew how much a pretty good computer will run me, at least able to play crysis? Considering i buy all the parts on my own.

Thanks for the help.

Best answers
Wtf dude??? Where are you from?? It was released ages ago. Well, by the end of Janurary it'll be out everywhere. It depends, the price varies, but you need to have a high range of minimum requirements in order to sustain the OS.

Lucky for you, I happened to find something in this Computer Mag of mine- Here have a look at the requirements and see the prices at your local store

APC MAGAZINE -Vista Upgrade Guide said:
Home Basic
CPU- 800MHZ 32-Bit ( x86 ) or 64-bit ( x64 ) processor
RAM-512MB
Hard Disk- 20GB [ Which leaves you 15GB Free]
Graphics-800x600 Capable

Home Premium
RAM-512MB
Graphics-800x600 Capable

Ultimate
RAM-512MB
Graphics-800x600 Capable
As you can see ^^ They're practically all the same, but don't go asking me " What if /Other version ".

Remember these are the minimum requirments, if you feel like you can go for something more, by all means do so.

But this is my recommendations :

Guzzie said:
CPU- 2GHZ Pentium 4 or Athlon 2800+ and Above
RAM- 2GB
Hard Disk- 20GB [ Leave you 15gb of free space ]
Graphics card- AMD or Nvidia discrete graphics adaptor less than two years old.
That should suit you well. Good luck, i'm going to get Vista LATER >_>, its expensive here in Australia.

-GuZzie

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Core 2 Duo 6600
Club3D 8800GTX
2x1GB Corsair Twinx DDR2

and so on cost me about 2300$ Too lazy to type all the specs.

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
Well, Considering that Crysis isn't even out yet... I'm going on a hunch based upon Half life.
I'm thinking that any Pentium 4 2.8Ghz+ or Athlon 2800+ with a Geforce 6 6600/Radeon 9800 Pro should be able to play it.

I got the original FarCry running at 1280x1024 At Highest possible settings with 4 AA and 4 AF - On a Pentium 3 667@733 - 512Mb of ram, and a Geforce FX 5700 250/200 @ stock - 520/480 Over clocked.
The min system requirement were a 1.4Ghz Processor. but I am guessing thats at least a Pentium 4, Thus the Pentium 3 Clock for Clock basis was close enough.
I have had Vista running with Aero Glass on:
Celeron 850 (Coppermine based)
512Mb of SD Ram
Geforce FX 5200 Ultra
Athlon XP 3000+
1024Mb of ram
Geforce 7 7600

Pentium M 1.6Ghz (Haven't tried it with the new processor yet)
1024Mb of Ram
Radeon 9700 Pro.

The Celeron 850 was rather sluggish, But it was fine just for internet browsing and such.

The other machines ran it perfectly with no issues in speed.

And because Crysis isn't out yet, We don't know what the requirements are for it, So If your machine can Run Vista + Play Oblivion at 1280x1024 then you SHOULD be able to play crysis.

I remember when Half life 2 was going to be released, everyone was frantic about the system requirements, Ended up being that even Geforce 2 users could run the game on they're ancient machines.

Best answers
Pemalite said:
I got the original FarCry running at 1280x1024 At Highest possible settings with 4 AA and 4 AF - On a Pentium 3 667@733 - 512Mb of ram, and a Geforce FX 5700 250/200 @ stock - 520/480 Over clocked.
Anyone can set their settings as high as they want. Doesn't mean it'll play smooth/well at all.
Dirty said:
So, i was wondering if anyone knew how much a pretty good computer will run me, at least able to play crysis? Considering i buy all the parts on my own.
Probably around $900-1100 (for entire computer sans monitor and other peripherals) if you want to play Crysis at its high(er) settings with decent performance. You can get any modern and sub-modern (within reason) computer to run Vista.

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
FarCry was running milky smooth tyvm, Even had to enable Vysnc to stop the tears... Generally you just lower some settings, and a game becomes playable. Or in some cases, you can drop the Pixel and vertex shader back a notch, Like in the case of OldOblivion, It drops the vertex and pixel shader back to 1.4, Not only does it give increased performance, But those with Radeon 9200's or Direct x 8.1 parts capability to play it.

Until its released we wont know the system details, You never know it may not be launched till a Geforce 11 is out.

Best answers
No it wasn't. You're lying or you weren't running at the maximum settings. Don't make me pull some reviews out with the same settings as you on much better machines with low frames per second.
Pemalite said:
Until its released we wont know the system details, You never know it may not be launched till a Geforce 11 is out.
One of the developers said he was running Crysis at maximum settings (didn't mention the resolution) on a 7800GTX. That gives a good estimate of the GPU at least, lol.

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
Your calling me a liar? Pull your head out of your butt for 5 seconds!
Most people KNOW FarCry was more GPU Dependant than CPU Dependant!
The same machine couldn't run Doom3, as I have stated in other posts.
And Crysis is NOT out yet, and MAY be like Half Life 2 and end up not coming out for a much longer period than originally plan, THUS system requirements MAY increase because of it.
STOP trying to cause arguments, your are NOT worth my time.

Screw the ESF Forums and the drama that people like yourself enjoy causing.
Do not call others a liar if you HAVEN'T tried something yourself to see it work.

Best answers
Your calling me a liar? Pull your head out of your butt for 5 seconds!
Most people KNOW FarCry was more GPU Dependant than CPU Dependant!
The same machine couldn't run Doom3, as I have stated in other posts.
And Crysis is NOT out yet, and MAY be like Half Life 2 and end up not coming out for a much longer period than originally plan, THUS system requirements MAY increase because of it.
STOP trying to cause arguments, your are NOT worth my time.

Screw the ESF Forums and the drama that people like yourself enjoy causing.
Do not call others a liar if you HAVEN'T tried something yourself to see it work.
I don't need to try it if I know it's not going to work. The only reason drama starts is because of liars and their want for attention.

There. That should be enough proof for anyone to realize you were talking out of your ass. If a 6800 is getting a lower frame rate in a lower resolution than you than you with a computer that bests yours, then you are talking out of your ass. And just because a game isn't as CPU dependent doesn't mean that it isn't at all. Take the drama you're causing out of my Tech Bench and go fume with Overlord.

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
"http://www.hardwarezone.com/articles/view.php?id=1292&cid=3&pg=11"
And Guess what? They are Geforce FX's! And we know how they perform under Pixel Shader 2 conditions don't we? Huh? huh?
And Considering my 5700LE's core clock was actually allot faster than the Geforce FX 5950 Which has a core clock of: 475 And what was mine running at? 520. Awww seems like you missed out again. FarCry liked Vertex shading, and Having a much higher core clock gives awesome Vertex shading performance, PLUS Allows for a much faster fill rate ;)
Where ever you got that benchmark from, I suggest not going they're anymore far cry is several years old and those cards are relatively modern for the game.
If you wish to know my exact model of my 5700LE so you can upgrade that Voodoo 1 its this: MSI FX5700LE TD128.

And Overlord is a much more enjoyable person to be around than yourself, at least he doesn't dribble crap that belonged in a toilet.
Besides I think you were getting jealous because people preferred his advice over yours. And you enjoy picking fights. Don't bother replying, your not worth arguing with. Seriously.

Edit: "And just because a game isn't as CPU dependent doesn't mean that it isn't at all." _ Very True! But obviously an Over clocked Pentium 3 Had plenty of guts running it! Remember the system requirements asked for at least a Pentium 4 1.4Ghz! And the IPC of a Pentium 3 Is much higher than a Pentium 4 Clock for clock bases, and when a Pentium 3 is over clocked expect those results to shine even more!

"Take the drama you're causing out of my Tech Bench and go fume with Overlord." - Your the one who seems to enjoy the arguments, no matter what I or Overlord said you had to start an argument on some level. Just cant help ya self could you? Or maybe... Just maybe you cannot handle people being right so you have to go get some faulty information to back yourself up? And then you ban them because they were right? Aww, life must be hard for someone so sad as yourself, And I wouldnt worry about overlord being banned, Thats slowly being rectified.

Best answers
Uh-oh, I feel like someone is going to get banned o_O

Frsrblch said:
You recommend a 20 GB hard drive?
Bah, I should've re-phrased that, those would be my miniumum requirements, sorry.

Bah, and looking at all the specs you offered, I think your all under estimating the power of Vista, it's got something like a 3D desktop and burns through your ram like hell and other Ram eating stuff. I would recommend at least 2gb, if not..4gb >_>, If im ever going to get Vista, its 4gb straight away.

-GuZzie

Best answers
Pemalite said:
"http://www.hardwarezone.com/articles/view.php?id=1292&cid=3&pg=11"
And Guess what? They are Geforce FX's! And we know how they perform under Pixel Shader 2 conditions don't we? Huh? huh?
And Considering my 5700LE's core clock was actually allot faster than the Geforce FX 5950 Which has a core clock of: 475 And what was mine running at? 520. Awww seems like you missed out again. FarCry liked Vertex shading, and Having a much higher core clock gives awesome Vertex shading performance, PLUS Allows for a much faster fill rate
Hah, you've just completely ruined your entire argument by basing performance on clock speed alone. The reason the FX 5700s were priced lower was because they had literally half the hardware the FX 5950s had. The 5700s had only 4 pixel pipelines (google/wiki it if you don't know what they're for), which would allow literally only half the fill rate of the 5950s when clocked the same. The 5700s only had a 128bit memory bus, which would allow literally only half the memory bandwidth of the 5950s, when clocked the same. Actually, let's just show some specs of this (I'll even use the 5700Ultra instead of the LE, or lame edition):

5700 Ultra:
Core Clock 475 MHz
Memory Clock 450 MHz
Memory Interface 128-bit DDR2
Frame Buffer Size 128 MB
Memory Bandwidth (GB/sec) 14.4
Fill Rate (texels/sec) 1.9 Billion
Vertices/sec 356 Million

5950 Ultra:
Codename NV38
Core Clock 475 MHz
Memory Clock 475 MHz
Memory Interface 256-bit DDR
Frame Buffer Size 256 MB
Memory Bandwidth (GB/sec) 30.4
Fill Rate (texels/sec) 3.8 Billion
Vertices/sec 356 Million

Oh my lordy! The 5950 Ultra has literally double the fill rate of the 5700 Ultra and over double the memory bandwidth. I guess that throws your whole argument into the toilet.

Pemalite said:
And the IPC of a Pentium 3 Is much higher than a Pentium 4 Clock for clock bases, and when a Pentium 3 is over clocked expect those results to shine even more!
It doesn't matter how omg awesome a Pentium 3 was. It's not twice as powerful per clock compared to a Pentium 4 as you're making it out to be.
Pemalite said:
And I wouldnt worry about overlord being banned, Thats slowly being rectified.
All I have to say to that is: "lol".
Pemalite said:
Just maybe you cannot handle people being right so you have to go get some faulty information to back yourself up?
If by faulty information you mean published and accepted reviews, then yea.

So I'll give you the chance to back down peacefully. You've lost, deal with it. Pulling information out of your bum is silly.

Best answers
I'd like to thank smith, for answering my original question, 900-1000 seems reasonable. haha, all those specs you were givin out, i dont know what half of them mean (maybe more!) Ill do my homework before i go out shelling out cash though, and probably ask for the tech benches help once more, when i get closer to my goal.

thx smith, sorry this started an argument;) thx guzzie, even though i have no idea what those mean...well actually i know some it sorta helped.

Best answers
I'd like to thank smith, for answering my original question, 900-1000 seems reasonable. haha, all those specs you were givin out, i dont know what half of them mean (maybe more!) Ill do my homework before i go out shelling out cash though, and probably ask for the tech benches help once more, when i get closer to my goal.
Hah, don't thank me. It's all easily acquirable information. Although, I'd like to apologize for some members who like to run their mouth. I hope it wasn't detrimental to you.

Best answers
Information received, closure requested (aim), closure received!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom