How many polies can the hl engine take?

DMW

Best answers
i wanted to say 2k,but im not sure at all,thx in advance to whomever helps me.

ESF Head Team Mapper
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🍂 Regular
Best answers
I dont know either but 2k shouldnt be a big problem.
One of the models im using has 4.3k and Im at almost constant 99fps ^_^

Overall polies on screen would be like 20-25k epoly or so i guess, never checked when it starts to lag.

Best answers
o_O hmm so i can make a model that has 3.2k and it would be fine right?

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
it can support quite a bit, alot of the restraint os on the person using the models computer, not the engine itself.

ive personally trhown an 18k model in half life before just to see if i could and it was for the most part playable (though multiple people w/ the model would lag the hell out of it)

2.5k is a good number to start with, its a little high for what the HL engine was built around but that allows for a fair amount of detail and doesnt make your game choppy (unless 3-4 people use it at the same time)

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah like Nuttzy said, it depends more on the computer that you are running it on than the engine, if you would like to make lets say a mod for example, your best choice would be within a range of 1.5k and 2.5k polies. If it is for yourself, just to mess around, well...depends on how good your computer is.

DMW

Best answers
my computer is pretty good,except the video card.but i do plan on making 1 for myself,so thx you guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom