How is bad FPS caused??

Best answers
Heya guys!!

Im thinking of making maps :) :) Yesh im so excited but I must ask this question.

What are the factors to bad FPS??? Just tell me so I dont finish of a map with the worst FPS around :) :)

-GuZzie

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Heya guys!!

Im thinking of making maps :) :) Yesh im so excited but I must ask this question.

What are the factors to bad FPS??? Just tell me so I dont finish of a map with the worst FPS around :) :)

-GuZzie
Face count (polygons), entity count, solid's count (shapes), size of map, and the compiler used.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I use nems batch compiler. Or you could also use the ZHLT compiler.

In any case you should not use hammer for compiling.

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Heya guys!!

-GuZzie
To elaborate more on what I said previously (which I apologize for not doing):

Face Count - The face count is basically the amount of polygons you have. The more you have, the longer it will take the compiler to compile the map, and the increased chance of lag in-game. There is no set limit to my knowledge on how many faces you can have, but you cannot have too many. I have seen maps with a very large number of faces, but were able to run smoothly. This mainly had to do with the compiler used, how the compiler was set up, and how the map was made. One way that I know of that keeps the map from being slow is to use the null texture (it comes with Zoner's Half-Life Tools in a .wad file). The null texture doesn't render the face, so it will appear invisible.

Entity Count - This isn't so much of a problem in terms of having too many. You will most likely never have a lot of entities in one map, but even if you do, it shouldn't cause too many problems.

Solid Count - This basically falls under the face count. The solid count isn't so much of a problem.

Size of the Map - This is intertwined with the face and solid count. The bigger the map, the more solids and faces you will have to occupy that space.

Lighting - I forgot to mention this previously, but this is a big one. Lighting will make the map compile extremely slow. The more light entities you have, the longer it will take for the map to compile. I've had maps that took hours to compile, mainly due to the amount of light entities I had on the map (which didn't really seem like a lot). The light entities shouldn't affect the FPS a whole lot, but to be honest, I never had a problem with any kind of slow down in my maps with a lot of light entities.

Water - I haven't had too many problems with this and in-game slow downs, but water can be a pain, especially with the compiler. Like Grega stated, too much water = bad.

As for the compiler, I use Nem's Batch Compiler.

If you need to know how to set up the compiler than look through this:

http://esf-world.com/tutorials/optional_overview.html

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I find ZHLT solves a lot of issues, on the grounds that it won't let you compile if the map has errors. Unless you have a lot of faces in one specific place on your map viewable then you shouldn't have too much to worry about, just playtest before releasing and you'll be fine.

r_speeds and face-counts are the biggest worries AFAIK. As long as it's an outdoor map (as most ESF maps are) then lighting shouldn't be too bad, light_environment is your friend.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ahh thanks guys :)
so does ZHLT > Hammer??

-GuZzie
Make no misstake. ZHLT are compiling tools. Hammer is the editor for maps. All ZHLT is good for is compiling them. Hammer is for making them.

Best answers
Ohhh ma bad.Im soo new to this....I've downloaded the Compiling tools and everything.Its all cool,I just go tot learn from scrach now XD

-GuZzie

Best answers
Thanks Grega :D Fahhh thats some usefull stuff right there. I just got to find the time:D :D thanks you guys Really appreciate the help :) :)

-GuZzie

The Viking
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
And the most important one, especially in open area maps like esf's. Texture scale.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom