How do you feel about Region-Coding ?

Best answers
It bugs the hell out of me that i have to continue to do other things to my gaming consoles just to play imports-- some of my friends would love to import quite a few games but believe it's to much of a hassle overall. I use modchips to play import games from Japan and other region-coded places. I think region-coding is a transparently greedy tactic on the part of the console producers and it has no place in a free market. How do you feel about it ?

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Soul Punisher said:
It bugs the hell out of me that i have to continue to do other things to my gaming consoles just to play imports-- some of my friends would love to import quite a few games but believe it's to much of a hassle overall. I use modchips to play import games from Japan and other region-coded places. I think region-coding is a transparently greedy tactic on the part of the console producers and it has no place in a free market. How do you feel about it ?
You can thank Nintendo for starting it.

To be honest, I don't really think much of it as it never really became a problem for me. The region coding is a marketing tactic so to speak since it allows the companies to release a game at different times to different countries so that no one can get a game before it is supposed to be released in their region, not to mention it allows the companies to have a price differentation between markets which increase the amount of money they can make for a game.

I do think it's stupid that they do that but what else would you expect from the business world, it's all business, nothing more, nothing less.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Never bothered me. Japanese games can go **** themselves.

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I never really thought much about it until my bro (who is on a scholarship-funded exchange in Japan) sent me a Japanese PS2 game for my birthday (it's a remake of a game he and I really enjoyed for the SNES), and I had the unpleasant experience of finding out that it didn't work in our PS2 here, in Canada. He did get himself a PS2 for his dorm (as, he claims, the one he bought in Japan was 'cheap as hell'), so the problem will only persist until he gets back.

...I, for one, don't care for it; but it's only ever been an issue for me with the one game. I'm sure that, if I more actively imported games, it'd really bug me.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
As I recall, they were originally implemented not to control the market of game buying, but for NTSC/PAL compatibility problems--but as for the Japan/US games not working, that is silly.

In any case, Sony and Nintendo seem to have learned from their mistakes--PSP and DS are region-code free, are they not? And so is XB360, as I recall--as will the PS3 be. I don't know about the Wii.

HDTV is a worldwide standard--there will not be an 'NTSC HDTV' and a 'PAL HDTV'--so there's little reason for them.

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
MadSkillz said:
.ertyrtygee.............................
This is a friendly reminder not to spam in the future.

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
When I saw " How do you feel about..." under last post on the main page, I really hoped it was followed by "full frontal male nudity"... Oh well.

Region coding is stupid, why limit sales, idiots.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Quoted for truth.

Region coding is there to prevent the old forms of piracy. The import/resale type. I think in this day and age it should be unnecessary, because there are better ways to deal with it. But I have a general dislike for most things of japanese origin gaming-wise, anyway, so I really haven't run into the issue much.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Region coding is retarded and should burn in the deepest crevices of Hell.

I love being able to get a US version of a DS game, like, weeks or sometimes months before it's released here. It's how I got Metroid Prime: Hunters, Kirby's Canvas Curse and a couple of others. The store I get 'em at sells 'em for the price of a non-import game. <3

Kioka

K
There are ways around the regional coding, so that doesn't bugs me, especially when some of the best anim? imports are on GCN.

The only issue it was for me is that I was unable to play some of the European-exclusive imports I used to have

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
SaiyanPrideXIX said:
frsrblch said:
Quoted for truth.

Region coding is there to prevent the old forms of piracy. The import/resale type. I think in this day and age it should be unnecessary, because there are better ways to deal with it. But I have a general dislike for most things of japanese origin gaming-wise, anyway, so I really haven't run into the issue much.
I couldn't agree more.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I love being able to get a US version of a DS game, like, weeks or sometimes months before it's released here. It's how I got Metroid Prime: Hunters, Kirby's Canvas Curse and a couple of others. The store I get 'em at sells 'em for the price of a non-import game. <3
This kind of thing is the reason we have region coding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom