How do you enlarge sprites with photoshop 8.0?

Force Pit Member
Best answers
How do you enlarge sprites with photoshop 8.0?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Go to Edit > Image size and change the pixel dimensions to the desired amount of pixels. Don't expect the image to look good though, enlarging pictures tend to look like crap.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
I tried that, but it didnt worked, it was tested on esf 1.2.3 (Is there anyway theres an auto sizer in the game that reduces the size automatically? and theres also on 1.3 if there is one?)

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
First of all, are you decompiling and recompiling the sprites correctly? You need a sprite compiling software, such as sprite explorer. You need to make sure they're 8bit bmp's before compiling (in photoshop go image > mode > indexed color and then save as 8 bit bmp) all sprites in an animation must share the same palette too, so if you do that process on the first, the next frame in the animation use previous instead of exact or whatever it comes up with when changing the image mode, so you keep the same palette throughout the animation. You must also make sure the dimensions of the sprite are a multiple of 128 (128x128, or 256x256, or 128x256, 512x512 etc) for it to work in half life, 512 is the maximum size you can use in half life for sprites, beware though, a long animation animated at 512 with a 256 colour palette may cause fps drops ingame.

Good luck.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
First of all, are you decompiling and recompiling the sprites correctly? You need a sprite compiling software, such as sprite explorer. You need to make sure they're 8bit bmp's before compiling (in photoshop go image > mode > indexed color and then save as 8 bit bmp) all sprites in an animation must share the same palette too, so if you do that process on the first, the next frame in the animation use previous instead of exact or whatever it comes up with when changing the image mode, so you keep the same palette throughout the animation. You must also make sure the dimensions of the sprite are a multiple of 128 (128x128, or 256x256, or 128x256, 512x512 etc) for it to work in half life, 512 is the maximum size you can use in half life for sprites, beware though, a long animation animated at 512 with a 256 colour palette may cause fps drops ingame.

Good luck.
Yeah I use sprite wizard and it all comes down to an SPR file and all is same palette and indexed. I really don't know what is the problem. But I noticed something, if I enlarge them, they are in the same size, but I see a big difference in the quality, means that I guess it got bigger but something reduces it. Don't know, any ideas?

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think you'll find it's because the code decides the size it is displayed ingame. When you enlarge the sprite, you're decreasing its quality because you cannot gain detail through increasing the size, you cannot gain what is not there, in effect you'll blur/pixelate the new sprite by increasing its size, reducing the quality.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
SOLUTION!!!!

So what is the solution? I can change the code maybe? you know how to fix it??? IM TIRED OF THIS WEALING SPRITES, feels like Sayian Saga.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Nope, sorry, but it's something only hars and Joe can do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom