How do I Cell Shade models?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
and to cell shade theres a tutorial on that sticky

CeLL Shading in Milkshape Tutorial By Neosaiyajin -Credits to nuttzy for reminding me how to do it correctly.
*NOTE* go into Paint or any other Image editing Programs and make a 512 x 512 Image with a black background.

First Open Milkshape.
Load The model you want to Cell Shade.
Then go to the Selection Tab Go Down in the menu find where it says "select By" Choose Faces.

Select all of the Model.

Then Plus Ctrl+D. Then go to the tools bar on top Choose fatboy. Where it says Scale Put in .1 - .3 Then click Ok.

Select the Duplicate and here where the black texture comes in.

Make sure the Duplication of ur model is still selected. Now go to matierials tab and Find new under it then click that. Now go to where it says none and click it (the bigger bar) Now select ur black texture thru the menus. Once opened Click assign. Now Go to Faces and Then Reverse vertex order. Then go to the render viewport and right click Then Where it says Draw backfaces click that. Now go to the render viewport And right click then click textured for a surprise.

welcome to the forums =D
hope this helps
next time use the stickies =)

Best answers
Lol thanx, I had put in cell shade in search and didnt find anything so i decided to post. Thanks X-men Iceman

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
but for the best outcome on your cel-shade models reskin them. its very easy.make the skin basic no detail.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Eum ice-man i think wat u sayd was an outine not cell shading ( not entierly shure)

Best answers
just use hlmodelviewer and export the bodyparts and make them huge and color the lines in black

G-Bear
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
zeldalink said:
Eum ice-man i think wat u sayd was an outine not cell shading ( not entierly shure)
U right zel.

Cel shading is that u have the shaders/shadows that make it cartoony like

Best answers
davke15 said:
just use hlmodelviewer and export the bodyparts and make them huge and color the lines in black
doesnt work man i tried, and outlining does make things look cartoonish though.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
what they are trying to explain to you is pretty much fake cel-shading. its cool, the out line makes it look like cel-shading because all cel-shaded video games have that black outline. its pretty fun and if you want to see some cel-shaded models in action go <a href="http://www.geocities.com/esfplanet/ingame.html">here</a>

Best answers
neoboy448 said:
what they are trying to explain to you is pretty much fake cel-shading. its cool, the out line makes it look like cel-shading because all cel-shaded video games have that black outline. its pretty fun and if you want to see some cel-shaded models in action go <a href="http://www.geocities.com/esfplanet/ingame.html">here</a>
When will those models be available for D/l?

Super Saiyan Dabura
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well BIG THX 4 neoboy448 I understud d whole thing thx,thx,thx,...Will try that again thx very much!

Best answers
neoboy448 said:
Wrong. Do you see any huge, ugly black lines on zelda? No. Outlines have nothing to do with cel-shading, it's just an effect which quite often accompanies it. Cel-shading is the shading effect which makes 3D models appear to be 2D, ala cels of a cartoon or anime, hence the name cel-shading. It is impossible to achieve that effect in HL because you don't have access to the rendering pipe-line.

Best answers
A101, dosn't matter how many times you tell them that, they will still think its the black outlines :/ Guess many of them havn't played a proper cel-shaded game before (remmembers memories of Jet Set Radio...)

Best answers
I know, Dave, I know. I just hate to see so many people in ignorance ;)

Ah yes, Jet Set Radio, I remember first seeing pictures of it and thinking "Ok, here's some art, give me some screen shots. Come on, I really want to see screenshots, these are just drawings." Those were the days.

2D/3D Artist
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
first of all now i really understand what cel-shading is...by A101's words..
well can i ask some questions?

is it possible to achieve the cel-shading effect on Q3? how? i need details...

and i know it's possible to make a good looking cel-shading effect on lightwave...or somthing...
i saw pics but i didnt really seen it...
can i have some info please?

Best answers
It is possible, as MDave has shown, to fake the effect using Quake3's shaders, though it still isn't true cel-shading as such. Dave know's about doing it, I haven't given it any thought.

It's possible to create a cel-shading effect on most 3D packages which render scenes and allow decent materials to be made (e.g. 3DSMax, Lightwave, XSI, Cinema4D, Mirai)

2D/3D Artist
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
can you tell me what shaders are?

Best answers
Shaders are small programs (or in the case of Q3 and some other games, scripts) which tells the render, be it a 3D Program's scene renderer or a game's graphics renderer, what properties materials in the scene have. For example the bump-mapping and normal-mapping in games like Half-life 2 and Doom 3 are using vertex and pixel shaders. The animated textures in Quake 3 are done using quake 3's own shader script.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom