How did you learn what you learned!!!

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
So question to all you computer nerds out there :p

How did you learn what you learned about computers?
What websites did you go to?
What classes did you take?
How did you learn to build a computer?
Why are you interested in computers/gizmos and gadgets
I can't think of any other questions, if you come up with one, post!

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I tried different things and learned the hard way.

I've killed computers while experimenting different things with computer software, I mean I got viruses on the computer trying things I had no knowledge of. I play around with things on the computer, I do the thingy, what happens if I do this, after I got older I started reading googled websites, and learned more and more, now my computer never has any problems, I know all about pop-ups, what sites not to go to, keep pop-up blocker 100% on, don't click on pop-ups.
Know what the hell you are downloading, I don't think downloading Scary Movie 2 would be about 2 MBs, I'm sure it's not the actual movie, some kind of virus or something that's not particularly needed on your computer. I learned that LimeWire is the most crappiest software, I hate when people at school talk about it, I just want to bust their head open becuase of their ignorance of computer software. Don't click on every thing if you don't know what it's going to lead to, know what kind of virus scanning software to use too. One time I scanned my computer ONLINE, that created ports through my IP address, for viruses and spyware to come into my computer like there was a fiesta.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'll try to answer in a quote

Quote answering ftw.

So question to all you computer nerds out there :p

I mainly talked to people with experience, read a couple things if I wanted to know a certain aspect, etc. It was mainly the people who I talked to, they told me what does what, etc.
I googled stuff like, "What does a motherboard do?" "Geforce 7900" just basic stuff, and I read through several articles. Then I go back and ask the people and see if I'm right :p
Never took any classes, but next year I'm taking Computer Science to learn coding scripts, parts of computers, etc. to help me more.
I'm not 100% sure how to 100% assemble a computer, but I have most knowledge from my Dad. My dad isnt really a tech person but he knwe how to build a computer, and when I was little I watched him build the computer etc.
I love gadgets. When I first got a Playstation, I became fascinated with video games. Eventually me and my brother shared a computer and we began playing Starcraft, and moved to Diablo 2. My brother got me addicted but he stopped being a geek, while I continue on. I eventually bought myself Counter-strike and I loved it so much I decided I wanted a career with video games. I had no clue, so I slowly asked people around and with esf included, I learned along the way how to build a computer, etc. It just kind of took off from there :)
I can't think of any other questions, if you come up with one, post!
Anything else?

btw, why are you particularly interested in this? :O

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'll try to answer in a quote

Quote answering ftw.

Anything else?

btw, why are you particularly interested in this? :O
Because I love computers, and practically everything related to them, and I'd love to learn more. And the ESF community has expertise in pretty much any area I can think of. So I figured why not ask here.

kk, well, now that I actually read your post kain, I know how to assemble a computer (minus wire management lol) but i don't understand HOW it works, etc. And I hate it when I don't understand how something works. Good example is an automatic car, I don't understand how it works, so I don't drive one. Now of course I use a computer, simply because I want/need to. But I'd like to learn more is all.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Word of mouth, magazines, #minion
Rarely any.
None.
Magazine.
Because they are awesome.

Gon

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
- I can't remember
- www.google.com
- none
- Opened one and just started taking crap apart
- Because my computer breaks all the time, so I need to know how to fix it.

Retired
Best answers
School and Trial and Error ohh yea and books, lots of books

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
curiosity trial and error, steampowered hardware forums, other hardware places, xoxide forums, google...

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
-Just started to find out from all different sources :)
-hmm?
-none, learned myself
-basicly i learned from my dad, then it just happened..
-because i like technology, new stuff etc, i just can't say why, been liking tech since i was a little kid..

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
I started off when I was about 9 years old, And windows 95 rolled onto the scene, I got so interested that every month I went down the main street, and bought a copy of PC Power play! (Aussie computer magazine).

And instantly became hooked, I watched the Dawn of the 3D accelerators,
Fixed computers for allot of friends, And forward to today, I have done my certificate 1, 2, 3, 4 In information Technology.

Have a small home business going where I fix peoples computers, And the local computer shop gives me all their spare computer gear, every Friday, For instance last week I got 20 BRAND NEW DVD Combo drives, And 5 Brand new wireless keyboards.

And in my spare time, Or when I am bored, I go into google and look up specific pieces of hardware, research it, till I know it back-wards, Look at benchmarks, And visit www.Anandtech.com at least 2-3 times a day.
I have Lan games on the weekend where friends bring there laptops and we go nuts.

And I'f I'm not working on a computer I'm down at the nightclub getting drunk (Only 1 nightclub in this town... Lame!).

Or working on a car somewhere.

It all comes down to, is how devoted you are to a particular field.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Generally, My first encounter with a computer was my family's 486 computer, with dos then at a latter point windows 3.1, with my dad and my brother at a young age showing my what I needed to do to play various games of that timeline. My and my brother use to fiddle with lots of different things here and there, and most of the time when my dad could not think of a thing, we'd usually end up relying on my 2 cousins to do our tech support for us. They ended up coming at a fast rate too, so my and my brother were educated on what to do and what not to do, and in any instance if something shoul go wrong we were taught a few things here and there of recovery tools in windows.

Later on in life, my hardware interest started. I watched my brother messing with computer insides. Around this time, I owned a cyrix 686 based setup (heh, my old belated Cyrix 686 PR200+, that went through various heatsinks and a few different cases to be cooled properly due to it overheating a lot). After seeing all of this done by others to my pc, I decided it was time for me to do things of my own with hardware, so I decided to purchase subscriptions to magazines with saved up pocket money (by doing jobs that kids would do for pocket money, lawn mowing, car washing, cleaning the house etc). From there I was reading a lot, however my hardware knowledge on the technical side of things was still a little weak, up untill the point where I had my pci gfx card fell out of it's slot, I decided "well, masewell shove it back in myself, how hard can that be?", and from there I felt a bit more confident and eventually learnt how to palce heatsinks/thermal paste on processors, how to install memory and ensure that it's working.

4 years down the track my teacher from school realized I had some fairly good computer knowledge, getting high marks in a primary school computer test, and therefore gave me an opportunity to learn more about computing with fixing computers around the school along with the teacher that was incharge of the school's computer network.

After that, high school was when I really geeked into computers, with fellow nerds, always talking about AMD vs Intel, ATI vs Nvidia, manufacturer vs manufacturer etc. At around this time I also began reading lots and lots of benchmarks and articles/guides online, and fixing computers for a few of my friends that had no ideas on how to fix their computers.

From here on out, I have just about finished my yr10 course at tafe (which is practically college here in Australia), which I ended up in the first place though because sadly my mum had me kicked out of school in 2005 :(. After this is complete I can head into cert 4 in IT, which is considered yr12 equivalent by the college and look into doing a 2 year diploma in IT. Hopefully, after that I could possibly look into doing some university studies (I hope :)).

And as always, some trial and error.

Best answers
Just by messing around with old computers, visiting tech forums and studying peoples problems and how they fixed them, and in 2005, i built my first PC... Cuz im Pro.

Best answers
I learned from general interest when I found out in elementry school that I had a general interest in Gadgets. It wasn't until close to grade 11 however that I started exploring programming.

C++ and Java, what a way for a newbie programming to start off. But hell I did it and I blasted through my future high school courses with ease.

Now I'm in university for Software Engineering.

So I guess in total Books, Schooling and just self initiative.

And how did I learn to build a computer? Well I learned by frying a few parts, it was a trial and error approach for me but I got it down pat soon enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom