House of the Dead 4

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I saw this in my local arcade yesterday and was wowed. HotD has always been my preferred arcade fps series (Time Crisis is a close second) and I was a bit dissapointed by 3, the shotguns were heftier and more cumbersome to reload than the pistols, and there was no spread or extra damage or anything.

HotD4 uses Uzi's, which are nearly as light as the pistols and much more advanced. They vibrate powerfully, dual-shock style, when firing, which creates some genuine recoil. Also you get three grenades (first for a HotD) per level, which can clear out large groups faster. There's also a nice 'shake' feature where you can resist an attack by jiggling the gun as fast as possible to shake off the attacker.

Zombies will also try and rush the players, prompting a 'powerstruggle' as you have to push the waves back by more jiggling. If you win, they'll fall back and be easy kills, if they win then they knock you down, making you easier to damage.

What's nice about the shaking is that it plays an active role in boss battles. For instance, one player can be grabbed by the giant first boss and have to shake him off while the other player gives them cover fire. It adds some depth to gameplay, and is a nice relief from some otherwise unavoidable damage.

Graphically the game has improved too. The screen was HD (with a small 'HD' logo in the bottom-right corner) and everything was rendered beautifully, or terrifyingly. I'm not certain, but I think the game also has ragdoll animations when you kill something (grenades in groups), either that or the best death animations i've seen in an FPS.

Finally, as with the first two games, you have the option of dual-wielding the Uzi's for an extra credit and going beserk as the double recoil shakes your whole body >=D

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Cool, lol, my cousin had Hotd 2 on his pc, dunno how tho, then we played it without even using coins and we finished the game easy peazy because everytime you die and they ask you to insert coins you just press enter, that game always rocked and I'm still playing at arcades, not as much though, but they don't seem to upgrade their 1988 systems. -_-

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom