Hosting an online server

ppv

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Hi guys, whenever i create an online server, my friend is not able to join with my INTERNET IP. when he tries to join, he is always connecting to my LAN IP, i've already forwarded the ports with portforward.com, i own a legal copy of HL and Steam, i've tried sv_lan 0/1 and i've already tried Going to my server's esf folder and create the steam_appid.txt file with number 70 written in it. (i;ve created in E:\Steam\steamapps\ppvmo\half-life\esf).

Also when i try to type "restart" on the console the error message "Steam validation rejected" will appears.

thx and sorry for my bad english :)

Project Manager
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Apparently even if you have your ports properly forwarded within steam you still have your local IP. You can either get around that by making sure your server is visible in the server list of have your friend join you manually by typing in your IP when he wants to connect to you. Works like this: start up the game open the console and type in "connect 123.123.123.123" obviously with your internet IP. If that doesn't work your ports are not properly forwarded. Good luck :)

ppv

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Apparently even if you have your ports properly forwarded within steam you still have your local IP. You can either get around that by making sure your server is visible in the server list of have your friend join you manually by typing in your IP when he wants to connect to you. Works like this: start up the game open the console and type in "connect 123.123.123.123" obviously with your internet IP. If that doesn't work your ports are not properly forwarded. Good luck :)
hm... i know about this "connect" command and it did not work... and i've already forwarded the ports with that portforward.com software... :/

---------- Double Post below was added at 12:36 PM has been merged with this post created 12:25 PM ----------

Additional info:

Whenever i create a server i can find it on the "LAN" section, however i've already tried with sv_lan 0 but it doesnt work.. and when i type "restart" it will say "Steam validation rejected"

Judge. Jury. Executioner
👮 Moderator
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You friend has to use the connect command. Give him your IP address and see if he can manually join your server.

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
Http://whatismyip.com

Share that ip with him. With of course :27015 in the end being the port.. could be different but 27015 is the default port being used.

Last edited:

ppv

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Z Power and Skyrider:

Thx for the advise, however i've done it already

Judge. Jury. Executioner
👮 Moderator
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Have you tried making a dedicated server?

Project Manager
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
after you loaded up your server and joined it, what does it tell you when you just type in sv_lan ? does it return 0 or 1 and if you type in status are you getting a proper steamID or a local one ? is your server properly adding master servers ? oh and instead of "restart" you can always type in "reload"

ppv

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
after you loaded up your server and joined it, what does it tell you when you just type in sv_lan ? does it return 0 or 1 and if you type in status are you getting a proper steamID or a local one ? is your server properly adding master servers ? oh and instead of "restart" you can always type in "reload"
FYI,

] status
hostname: Earth's Special Forces Server
version : 48/1.1.2.1/2.0.1100.464 4554 secure (70)
tcp/ip : 192.168.1.2:27015
map : esf_arrival at: 2704 x, -2285 y, -1381 z
players : 1 active (6 max)

# name userid uniqueid frag time ping loss adr
# 1 "ESFn00b" 1 STEAM_0:1:17574810 0 00:24 0 0
1 users
] sv_lan
"sv_lan 0

---------- Double Post below was added at 03:14 AM has been merged with this post created 03:11 AM ----------

Have you tried making a dedicated server?
no i didnt

Project Manager
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
okay the server is definitely online, so given that the ports are proplerly forwarded and I doubt that some weird tool can do that properly and your friend has your IP he should be able to join you.

ppv

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
okay the server is definitely online, so given that the ports are proplerly forwarded and I doubt that some weird tool can do that properly and your friend has your IP he should be able to join you.
I think this should be correct?

123.jpg

Last edited:
Project Manager
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
HL UDP 1200
HL TCP 27015
HL UDP 27020
HL UDP 27000-27015
HL TCP 27030-27039

this is what I forwarded and things are working on my end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom