hm wuts that error?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Best answers
well i did some modelling but when i try to compile thw qc file this error-massage pops up:
too many normals in model: piccolo_cape
how to fix?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
that means that you have to many polygons in your model... you will have to make your model into 2 or more ref.smd´s ..

in german:
Du hast zuviele polygone in deinem model und du must dein model in 2 teile einteilen also 2 ref.smd ... max polygone für eine ref.smd is meisten zwischen 2000 bis 2100 polygone.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
not necessarily too many polygons. if you wanted to be specific in milkshape anyways, its *****ing about the number of verts

there are a few ways to get around this, some may work for you and some wont,

you could try getting rid of the smoothing groups, the smd file format does not support smoothing groups the same was as milkshape does, it unwleds the verts along the edges of the smoothing groups to give you a hard edge, creating more "normals". by collapsing them all to 1 group you will keep it from doing this, BUT it will make your model look worse if you were relying on smoothing groups. so dont do this one unless you really have to. (you also may have duplicate groups stuck inside one another, i did this a few times by accident when i worked in milkshape)

you can also split the model up into multiple peices, then compile it together as one, seperate the cape and body into different smd files with qc code, (i have it written down somewhere, just dunno where to look, dig around the forums though you may find it) or if that doesnt do the trick you may have to get more creative with the chopping,(Ive put a 12k poly model ingame before, had to put it in like 7-8 peices o_O)

Best answers
k i did it with the 2 rmf's but then in the modelviewer i got submodel 1 (trousers and shoes) and submodel 2 (upperbody) and ingame i play with the trousers without the upperbody -.-'

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
>_>. double posting is still against the rules, generally this is only allowed when posting an update to a model/map. (and even then there are circumstances). or when getting permission from a moderator/admin beforehand. do it again and i will warn you.

i forget the actual qc code, but there is one that lets you split the model up into different parts (like i mentiond above) this is different than sub-models (the method you used, and the esf trunks did with the sword)

you need to find the other one, i would aid you in the search but the word "qc" is too short for the searh function to bother with >_>

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
// Output .MDL
$modelname "CProgramme\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\steam_155\half-life\esf\models\player\piccolo\pikkon.mdl"

// Directory of .SMD
$cd "\Programme\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\steam_155\half-life\esf\models\player\piccolo\"

// Directory of .BMP
$cdtexture "\Programme\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\steam_155\half-life\esf\models\player\piccolo\"
$cliptotextures

// Write textures into a ???T.mdl
//$externaltextures

$scale 1.0

// 3 attachments
$attachment 0 "Bip01 R Hand" 0.800000 0.000000 1.000000
$attachment 1 "Bip01 Head" 0.300000 -0.500000 0.800000
$attachment 2 "Bip01 Head" -0.300000 -0.500000 0.800000

// 4 bone controllers

// 17 hit boxes

$bodygroup body
{
studio "piccolo_cape1"
studio "piccolo_cape2"
}

// 214 sequences

that was urs..

// Output .MDL
$modelname "CProgramme\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\steam_155\half-life\esf\models\player\piccolo\pikkon.mdl"

// Directory of .SMD
$cd "\Programme\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\steam_155\half-life\esf\models\player\piccolo\"

// Directory of .BMP
$cdtexture "\Programme\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\steam_155\half-life\esf\models\player\piccolo\"
$cliptotextures

// Write textures into a ???T.mdl
//$externaltextures

$scale 1.0

// 3 attachments
$attachment 0 "Bip01 R Hand" 0.800000 0.000000 1.000000
$attachment 1 "Bip01 Head" 0.300000 -0.500000 0.800000
$attachment 2 "Bip01 Head" -0.300000 -0.500000 0.800000

// 4 bone controllers

// 17 hit boxes

$bodygroup body
{