HL source code release

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
So, With Valve releasing the source code, Most mods no longer need you to own the game in order to play it, Will people be able to play ESF without half life 1 now? I'm not sure if it's just for HL2 or HL1 aswell, My friend doesn't have HL1 and has no money to buy it ATM so i was wondering if he'll be able to play it? Or is the release just for source-based mods?

✔️ HL Verified
Discord Member
Best answers
AFAIK ESF will remain just a mod for HL1. If I remember correctly, this has also something to do with the fact that they don't have official permission to release a standalone game(even if it's fanbased).
However, saying money is the problem is kinda weak, HL1 is 9.99 dollars on steam, anyone can make that kind of money, I guess it's just a matter of time.

The very best there is.
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
I don't see any source code release whatsoever.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Wait Valve is releasing the HL1 source code?

O.O

When did that happen?

Last i heard they said they have no plans to do any such thing.

NOT IN THE MANGA™
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
AFAIK ESF will remain just a mod for HL1. If I remember correctly, this has also something to do with the fact that they don't have official permission to release a standalone game(even if it's fanbased).
I'm positive that this has nothing to do with the game being a HL mod or a standalone, as it's a problem with using the copyrighted characters and stuff from DB.

In any case, if this is true, can we expect ESF to go standalone and thus have its release delayed (yay!)?

Last edited:
Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Why a delayed release?

If it is in fact true, all we would need to do is compile the main engine core to use with the already created DLLs though the SDK.

NOT IN THE MANGA™
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Why a delayed release?

If it is in fact true, all we would need to do is compile the main engine core to use with the already created DLLs though the SDK.
I imagine you'd want to somewhat improve the performance. Perhaps make the game multi-threaded. And do other things you weren't able to.

The very best there is.
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Making a new multi-threaded engine will most definitely be way faster than trying to make GoldSrc multi-threaded. Which will likely be next to impossible.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I haven't heard anything about Valve releasing the source code for Half-Life 1. In fact, I just did a quick search on google and I don't think this is true. Does anyone have any source?

🚂 Steam Linked
🎈 Advanced
Best answers
Does anyone have any source?
The source for the source code. Get it?... Anyone... No?

On Topic: There was once a rumor of HL2's source code being leaked, I never knew if that was true or not, but as far as I know Valve never did it intentionally for any of their games.

The very best there is.
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Well, yes. An early version of HL2, along with the Source source code (heh) was copied from Valve's network. Apparently, the Source 2007 development kit was also leaked, from a different company though. However, none of these events have anything to do with the GoldSrc engine, let alone a legitimate release.

So, yes. Until the thread starter delivers, this remains complete and utter bullshit.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
Seems like it, just looked around the net for the news...wasn't a hint of it anywhere! Shame, got kind of excited by some of the posts here :p

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Didn't see anything on it anywhere. Please link us where it said it was. I gotta check this out.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
If nobody can find it, I guess it's not true and that the OP is mistaken or a hardcore troll! :/ Don't waste your time!

Death from Above
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
News like that would be all over steampowered.com and it isn't

Also Kotaku, IGN, Gamespot would be all over it and they aren't

Troll thread is trolling

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom