HL/ESF Alphamap Textures

2D/3D Artist
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I rarely post any questions here =P well, here's a first.

I basically need to know how to make alphamapped textures that HLMV/HL/ESF will support.
I know I need to make the background color black but thats not all there is to it, there's something else I'm missing to make it work, can someone lend me a hand?

P.S.
After that I know I need to set it on transparent in HLMV and save it ^_^

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
it has been a while since i have done this, but ill post what i know

the transparency in HL isnt like what you said above, HL simply doesn't render 1 color from the pallette if it is set to transparent,

so lets say you have a standard 256 color bmp, the final color on the palette will not be rendered when set to transparent.

the trick is getting that exact color on all the areas you dont want to show up, which though it sounds easy. it doesnt always work how you want it to =/

2D/3D Artist
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sounds annoying =/
Well, all I need is a simple shoe lace heh, I wonder if it's worth the truble but I have to try and learn how cause I have some other ideas involving alphamaps.

How exactly do I choose that final color? =o

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
when turning the image into indexed colours in photoshop, from the dropdown menu click custom, then the very last colour is the one you want to be transparent

2D/3D Artist
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yay success!
It is indeed pain in the ass to start coloring all the blank spots =/ lucky I had a simple shape but it's really not that flexible as I remembered/thought.

Anyways, you've been great help guys, thanks =3

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom