HIV cured by Stem Cells

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Doctors who carried out a stem cell transplant on an HIV-infected man with leukaemia in 2007 say they now believe the man to have been cured of HIV infection as a result of the treatment, which introduced stem cells which happened to be resistant to HIV infection.

The man received bone marrow from a donor who had natural resistance to HIV infection; this was due to a genetic profile which led to the CCR5 co-receptor being absent from his cells. The most common variety of HIV uses CCR5 as its ‘docking station’, attaching to it in order to enter and infect CD4 cells, and people with this mutation are almost completely protected against infection.

The case was first reported at the 2008 Conference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections in Boston, and Berlin doctors subsequently published a detailed case history in the New England Journal of Medicine in February 2009.

They have now published a follow-up report in the journal Blood, arguing that based on the results of extensive tests, “It is reasonable to conclude that cure of HIV infection has been achieved in this patient.”

http://www.aidsmap.com/Stem-cell-tr...n-in-Berlin-patient-say-doctors/page/1577949/

Last edited:
Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
But i wonder. Could this cause any unwanted mutations of the cells?

Its great news, but maybe a bit early to tell 100%

Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I almost don't want STD's to be curable, because then people will just increase in tons of random crazy sex. Sure it ocsts money to get rid of, but alot of people would be willing. :p

🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
Now what weapon other then guns do we have against the damned gay population?

Now with Kung-Fu action!
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
But i wonder. Could this cause any unwanted mutations of the cells?
It's unlikely to, consider it more of a transplant; in this case it was a direct transplant. The bone marrow's stem cells have the ability to produce the mutated, and immune, white blood cells. Although they wouldn't be able to produce muscle cells.

In the future I coud imagine them extracting bone marrow from an individual, inserting the gene (which we're not terribly good at yet) and then putting it back in. Whilst in this case, it was obtained from a suitable donor; with no risk of mutation. I'd imagine they're be practically no risk of mutation whilst modifying your own too.

In short, it's virtually impossible for it to trigger any mutation ^^.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If I remember correctly, STDs and Cancer are listed as another form of Population control by a few governments. It is nice to see this and I am positive there is a cure for cancer and aids and such. The thing about it is, Doctors make too much money on cancer treatments and such that they wouldn't want a cure for cancer even when they take a vow to do anything to save the life of a human.

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
now im not gay, but i cant wait for the day when you get decked for opening your mouth, saying **** like that in real life.

Last edited:
Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If I remember correctly, STDs and Cancer are listed as another form of Population control by a few governments. It is nice to see this and I am positive there is a cure for cancer and aids and such. The thing about it is, Pharmeceudical Companies make too much money on cancer treatments and such that they wouldn't want a cure for cancer because they don't take a vow to do anything to save the life of a human.
Fixed that for you.

King of the Hello Kitty Fanclub
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
lolwut?

You're seriously an ignorant ******* if that's really your opinion.

---

Great news otherwise, although with stem cells being a touchy subject I wonder how far it will go (yes I know they took them from a donor).

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
[video=youtube;JdrcOGoszlE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdrcOGoszlE[/video]

Couldn't find the clip from Relentless, this'll have to do. :(

I just realized I could post Bill Hicks videos as comments on today's news and they'd still be awesome.

EDIT: Hah found it.

[video=youtube;lKDSQ5Hcds4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKDSQ5Hcds4[/video]

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom