Hilarious!! A Must Read!!!

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
That was awesome! I almost want to read it again, that guy is funny as hell. And he makes some damn good points in there, too. Some things that I never even thought about, but am now angry about.

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
A Gamers' Manifesto said:
Instant-Failure Stealth Levels. Ack. This brings back horrible memories of a Goldeneye level where if you tripped an alarm, an infinite number of bad guys poured forth. We knew a man who failed that level 37 times, then got the Infinite Health cheat for it and came back. He intentionally tripped the alarm, the guards rushed out. Laughing maniacally, he proceeded to shoot those ****ers for four hours, killing 1,183 of them - 682 with groin shots - before his thumbs cramped up. Your game should not create this kind of bitterness.
This seems, somehow, eerily familiar...

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Wow, that was a great read! Lots of good points in there.

I like to think that some day the businesses of the world will wake up and realize they're part of a greater whole, that the energy devoted to cannabalistic infighting means ultimate doom for all. The leaders of the great religions of the world will realize that all of us, Muslim, Christian, Jew, all want the same for humanity. Women will realize it's the pale, studious type they want instead of the quarterback of the football team, and everywhere we walk, bunnies will dance a path for us. Dance, little guys! Dance!
Im liking the sarcasm.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I've read it before. It's funny, and true. I especially love the idea about the island survival. I'd play that for endless hours. :x

Best answers
Aye its a good article, and Dewd I'm reading the others, good stuff here

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
SailorAlea said:
I've read it before. It's funny, and true. I especially love the idea about the island survival. I'd play that for endless hours. :x
There used to be a game called Island. You had to fish, collect water, and swim in shark infected water for planks to build a raft before your island was destroyed by a hurricane. You could also send a message in a bottle, but sometimes pirates came and owned your face.

I think it was a dos / win 3.1 game though. Good times.

The Viking
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Am I the only one who's not agreeing ? Imo most of it is complete bull. Like stealing a weapon from someone in game should punished by the law? How retarded is that :x

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think you didn't get his point. I think he was just showing us how things could quickly evolve to a point where the 'game' becomes more 'real' then life itself is. I don't think he was actually implying that it SHOULD be that way; just saying how it COULD be that way.

I didn't agree with all of his points about video games, though. For one it sounds like he's a jaded console shooter player--who have little credibility in my eyes for deciding 'how a game should be.' He is right on many accounts but some points are unreasonable. Expecting intelligent AI on a console shooter is stupid; they need to be dumb or you would die every five seconds with those terribly imprecise controls. That is why the Master Chief moves like he's a an elephant on a tricycle.

I agreed with a lot of his points, though. And he made GOOD points--meaning, the ones I do disagree with, are still good and well thought out points, I just don't agree with them.

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
On that kid's screen now is a dozen noble warriors of exotic races, brandishing elaborate weapons and charging a gigantic demon across a fire-scarred mountaintop. The dwarf next to him is controlled by an accountant planted at his own computer in Cleveland, two babies sleeping in the next room and his pregnant wife on the sofa. The robed priest in the back casting healing spells is actually a 250-lb. ex-gangster, playing from the computer lab of a maximum security prison in Pennsylvania. The elf on his left, sprinting and drawing his mighty magical bow, is the digital body of a wheelchair-bound 12 year-old girl in Miami.

This is why MMOs own all, they force you to completely break down the barriers of superficial individualism for a common goal. When normal life is put aside, for chances of adventure, our preconceptions of the human race become obsolete. I figure MMOs will eventually dictate another reputation and psychological evaluation we are labeled with, as this guy also predicts.

Let's say a habitual shop lifter is forced to sit in jail and play an MMO where he/she has to be a cop, and the only way he leaves jail is if he/she keeps a small town safe from crime for a month, or he/she faces a couple years in jail. During this month, he/she has to accept the opposite of his crimes, which is preventing crimes, and realizes the reversed view of his/her crimes. I believe the experience could deeply affect this person on many levels, both subconsciously and in his/her social reflexes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom