HigherEnd Playstation 3 Model WTF

Best answers
PLAYSTATION 3 evolves because it's a computer

Hiroshige Goto: SCEI have always been saying PLAYSTATION 3 (PS3) is not a game console but a computer. In that sense, I'd thought that it's the important point for PS3 to become a computer whether it comes with HDD standard. But it had not been made clear for a while about the standard HDD. It seems it finally reached the standard HDD through all twists and turns since 2005.

Ken Kutaragi: In my heart it was decided that we want to include HDD as the standard. However, there were various problems such as economic reasons, and we might have not been able to secure enough 2.5inch drives. An HDD-less version might have been planned. In that case it completely becomes a game console, but we want to do a computer.

With these matters, we needed resolution even though we decided to include HDD.

HG: For a game console HDD is an economic pressure. Unlike semiconductor chips HDD cost doesn't decrease. So it becomes 40-50$ cost-up through a life cycle of a game console. Though in the case of a game console its price is lowerd to $100-$200, it becomes difficult with HDD as the standard. Does it mean PS3 doesn't take a price model like a game console?

KK: After all, we don't say it's a game console (laugh) PS3 is clearly a computer unlike PSs of so far.

Obviously we have to make it a mature hardware to a certain degree to reduce the cost when we look at it as a game console. As the methodology, we have been doing cost reduction such as chip integration and power-supply reduction. Naturally we'll do the same thing for PS3.

However, as PS3 is a computer, (not only reducing the cost) but also wants to evolve. We'll want to upgrade the HDD size very soon, if new standards appear in PC we will want to support them. We may want the BD drive to write. Well, BD may not become like that though.

The meaning in that it's not a model but a configuration

HG: Since PS3 is a computer it's not bound by the limitation of the price and cost models of a game console. Is this the reason why it has HDD as the standard which is required for a computer and its hardware evolves?

KK: It's a computer not only in HDD but in the point that it fully adopted standard formats. The interface was PlayStation-only memory card slot in the past. But PS3 has only PC standard slots.

Since they are standards, of course the interfaces are open. We control no standards. You can be free because it's a computer. Also HDD can be easily upgradable for a person who can play with PC.

HG: Game consoles fix their hardware specs through their life cycles. But PS3 seems to approximate to PC in that it can change its configuration flexibly.

KK: Since PS3 is a computer there are no "models" but "configurations". This time we try to make it clear. May as well release BTO (built-to-order) list if possible (laugh) Well, but if we do it the distribution will be confused. But, with PS3, we can do BTO if we want.

HG: In an old interview you said there's no hardware called PS3 but only a meta-format. Is it possible for PS3 to do hardware configuation as long as it has the spec enough to run softwares of a certain profile?

KK: That's right. So every configuration is PS3.

HG: Is it planned that it extends its spec every year like PC?

KK: I think it's okay to release a (extended) configuration every year (laugh). Though I say it like a joke, Dell will do it and Apple will do it too. In PC, if you fix (the spec) for 2 years you'll be catched up. Computers should be changing, right? It's inevitable that 60GB (HDD) will become short, memory may become short too. There are many possibilities.

HG: Is it possible that a PS3 configuration with augmented computing power that exceeds the spec to run the PS3 game meta-format appears?

KK: Yes. If what you want to do increases, it's natural. Of course, it depends on how far what you want to do goes though.

The first party showed the PS3 title standard at E3

HG: At E3 first-party titles in development were playable, which had an impact.

KK: Advance forcasts said something like "there'll be no playable games" (laugh). No one expected that many playable games. At least, they wouldn't think playable games reached that level.

Generally speaking, a first-party should not stick out, but we showed the broad range since it's our responsibility. We have the responsibility to show the standard first.

In the days of PlayStation 1 there were arcade games at the top as the standard softwares. So SEGA and Namco that could port arcade games were strong. Games were made with arcade games as the standard.

But, this time I think PS3 excels all standards. Because of that, we thought they can't aim where they should go unless we show the standard with confidence. As the responsibility of the first party, we have to show it not only in the platform but also in softwares and other parts. The standard is like this even months before the release. Until the PS3 release in November it evolves further and further. I think it could become a kind of the standard.

HG: Relatively third parties were not noticeable. It seems there's a wide gap between the first party and third parties this time.

KK: For better or worse E3 was full of the first party. After all, they know the hardware well in the company and there is a horizontal connection in the SCEI global studio. For this event we created the demo to share various information, engines, and know-how.

Until then our studios are a conglomerate of studios which stick to (SCEI organizational) regions. About half a year before, including Harrison (Phil Harrison, President, Sony Computer Entertainment Worldwide Studios) and Yamauchi (Kazunori Yamauchi, President, Polyphony Digital), we combined studios. They went offsite often, and as for E3 all studios exchanged one another and discussed everything. So it became like that.

We want top guns to show their skill on PS3

HG: The computing power of PS3 Cell far exceeds PC. Though it depends on the kind of computing, its processing performance is outstanding. But its programming model is complicated and the hurdle is high. It seems third-party develpers polarize between those who can't handle Cell and those who are very excited about Cell.

KK: Even at the time of PlayStation 1 those who were into 2D graphics were like "we can't handle PlayStation, I can't understand what it does, but it's OK as it has the library."

It's no doubt that game consoles are becoming computers today. As the result (programming) becomes different from so far. It's strange that they say it's hard to create a software when the processing performance of a game console gets higher. Nobody says he/she can't create a software because clockspeed, memory and HDD of PC get better and heavier. We want top gun (programmers) to show their skill on PS3.

HG: For now actually, developments on PS3 rely on programmers' talents and efforts. There are not yet enough libraries and middlewares to lessen the burden on developers.

KK: We continue to add middlewares. But, actually, middleware is too much for one and not enough for two. It's been always like that. It's not always true that relying on a middleware makes a good game. At least in PS3, it becomes disastrous if you don't know where to use middlewares and where to be careful.

HG: Microsoft try to realize the programming framework which was successful on PC on a game console too. They are adding standardized socket APIs on the OS.

KK: Since Microsoft is coming from PC, they say things are like that in the world of PC. But, if I look at it, I think it has no evolution.

HG: In the previous console generation, the directions of SCEI, Microsoft, Nintendo, these 3 companies were different but the difference was not so big. But, this time 3 companies turn to completely different directions. There are dramatic differences.

KK: Isn't it good if it can energize the market? If they say the same things they'll end up killing each other.
this guy keeps saying that the ps3 is not a game console, but a computer..
Screw that! I wanna buy a game console to be a game console! not a crappy watered down computer

imagine the ps3 games: "GT6. - Requires PS3 revision 4, roll-out 2, service pack 5. (Additional memory may be required. Memory sold separately."

so if i buy a ps3, i have to pay $600. But if that will not last the ps3's lifetime we'll have to continually shell out on add-ons and upgrades just to play the latest games??

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
What do you think consoles are? They are exactly that, "watered down computers". Playstation 3 (and I think Playstation 2, plus the Xbox and Xbox 360) use operating systems (Linux?) and they have many similarities to a computer in terms of hardware.

Besides, what source did you use to find this article?

Edit
Playstation 3 is a year away (I think) so the price is subject to change.

Best answers
^_^ I think your misunderstanding what he says BB.

The games won't need revisions most likely. All you will have to do is probably download a patch or an attachment to get the full effect of the game. If you want to play a game then surely you can play a PS3 game with the PS3 you get from launch day. New attachments only allow previous games to be more awesome and amazing then they already are such as improved graphics, excellent interface and the works. Some games might require a patch or something to play but most likely you'll be able to download it or maybe even buy it at your local Best Buy or something.

The PS3 is truly a game console but it will evolve like a computer. Sony's just messing up when they are explaining it-- not everyone is as good as Reggie from Nintendo. It's not a computer-- it's like when you have a system and instead of making a better system or inproving it to a new version you just buy extras so you can built it to your liking like a pc. It's smart since I'm sure people would rather build their PS3 with the extras they like for the games they like other then having to buy a new console entirely replacing your old one. After spending $600 dollars on a system who's willing to spend $600 dollars again down the line for a stronger PS3?

Instead of getting a new console in 5 years the PS3 will just get new add-ons that make it seem like a next-generation console. I think it's a good idea. I'd rather buy enhancements instead to make it compete at that level like a computer. Most likely you'll also get extras aside from gaming too.

Interesting idea Sony. I think this will work. People are expecting the PS3 to die out pretty fast just because of it's price but I'm positive that it will sell out when it launches. It's a console that costs $600 dollars but once you get it you can continue to add extras onto the game system so you won't need to upgrade to another console for a while.

Best answers
hope your right. but if i need to download new patches for a game, it'll be free right? if not, then thats just like them making us buy add-ons for new games..which sucks

so their there will be no ps4? i wonder how that will turn out to be like..

and yea, having the spiderman font is kinda stupid. looks like they really cant come up with ideas of their own..
but i guess they're just obsessed with the movie, they even released it as a free umd with a psp

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
MC said:
Edit
Playstation 3 is a year away (I think) so the price is subject to change.
November this year, so that's only a couple of months. Price won't change anymore.

But I think it's pretty annoying that you will have to upgrade your PS3, the main reason I like consoles is the fact that you don't have to upgrade them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom