High Speed Cable is teh ****. I need help.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ok, quick question. I am getting high speed internet soon from comcast as many probably know.

I was going to sleep, at least trying to, and I was thinking about how I'm getting highspeed (I'm really excited about it) and then I started thinking about my old high speed. And my train of though drifted into how high speed works. And that's when it hit me. I don't have a freaking cable outlet. So I can't plug the cable cord into anything (except the back of my tv which wouldn't do me any good) So my question is..

If I don't have that cable outlet, does this mean I can't have Cable internet at all? Or can they just install one into my house?

(And the answer better be they can install one into my house, because if it's not you have no clue how pissed I'm going to be. Thanks

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
suicidal_maniac said:
Cant you use a cable splitter like i do?
What do you mean? I thought a cable splitter split one cable outlet into 2.

I don't have a cable outlet PERIOD. The only outlets I have are plug outlets and telephone outlets. (As in my T.V won't even work for cable)

Best answers
If their anything like Charter, then they will install a cable outlet for an additional fee.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
If you have cable tv then you can have cable internet (if they provide it in your area).

Where the main line comes into the house, you can put a splitter, with one line going to your TV (or TV splitter), and the other line going directly to your modem.

You cannot attach a cable modem to a line coming from most kinds of TV splitters because they only forward data and are not capable of sending data "the other way" (i'll use generalized terms to avoid confusion :p).

Since cable TV only requires one way transmission (what would you send back?), most companies that I know of installed a filter out where your line comes in from the street to prevent any data from being sent back at all. That may have to be removed by your cable company as well. You'll know if there's one in place when you turn on your modem. (it will receive but not send)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I have ADSL and it is actually faster than the cable high speed at my other house. Are there different speeds for cable and ADSL, because Im fairly sure that the ADSL is cheaper.

What was your old high speed? I can remember when 28.8 was considered 'high speed', and before too long 1 MB/s dl speeds will be commonplace.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't have cable T.V.

I don't have a cable T.V outlet.

My old cable was Cox cable. I could download 7mb/s with that. I believe it went up to 11 mb/s. That's what my friend says anyway.

So someone can install a cable outlet when they get here right? If that's so. Thanks for helping.

Best answers
No they won't do it on the spot, you'll have to call and request they do it when they come to install your high speed internet.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Tsunami said:
No they won't do it on the spot, you'll have to call and request they do it when they come to install your high speed internet.
Thanks for that. I called comcast and told them about it. Now they want to charge me $15.00 to install it. (I hate old houses)

Best answers
$15? concider yourself lucky. Charter wanted to charge us $60 to install one for our modem.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
Fire Phoenix said:
My old cable was Cox cable. I could download 7mb/s with that. I believe it went up to 11 mb/s. That's what my friend says anyway.
Well you used to live in my state but I guess you didn't know the actual speeds. (or uh, your friend has no clue)

Up until about last year, everyone on cox cable had 3mbps/256kbps (that's download/upload). Later, they upgraded current customers to 4mbps/512kbps for free. Currently, that is what all non-business cox internet customers have.

For some reason, they've increased my line to 5mbps/2mbps (about 670 k/s down, and 280 k/s up as far as I've seen, so those numbers maybe just be theoretical). Maybe because I've been a customer of theirs for a long time, who knows. >:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom