High School Diploma vs G.E.D.

Best answers
Do you feel that an High School Diploma is superior to an G.E.D ? If two students actually got each one of these and were both dedicated to getting an job, would an High School Graduate be more likely to score an job first ? Do you think that High School graduates will overall, be more successful then G.E.D. students with higher paying jobs ? Are jobs truely more lenient in reference to students who obtained their High School Diploma's, then G.E.D. obtainers ?

I want to see some opinions on the matter, it would be rather helpful as well in an decision of mine.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
Employers wipe their asses with GED's... much like MSCE's...

High school diploma > GED for all intents and purposes

what the **** is GED?
What people who fail American high school can get

Best answers
i think it stands for (get every dollar ?) or something like that...damn kids and their rap music of today :rolleyes:

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Babyboy said:
i think it stands for (get every dollar ?) or something like that...damn kids and their rap music of today :rolleyes:

A GED's better than nothing. It's equivalent, but people aren't going to treat it the same. However, employers and colleges usually prefer a diploma over a GED, as far as I know.

Diamond Princess said:
If two students actually got each one of these and were both dedicated to getting an job, would an High School Graduate be more likely to score an job first ?
Just think about who you, yourself would choose. You can't go on generalizations, but I'd probably pick the high school graduate if they're both identically qualified.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
GED = general equivalency diploma

in other words, it's a test you can take that will give you a paper saying you know all your stuff needed for graduation.. basically a "graduate" early kinda thing but it's not a real diploma.. you can take this test before your last year in high school

but it also depends what you want to do after high school... four year university or work.. or community college

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Diamond Princess said:
Do you feel that an High School Diploma is superior to an G.E.D ? If two students actually got each one of these and were both dedicated to getting an job, would an High School Graduate be more likely to score an job first ? Do you think that High School graduates will overall, be more successful then G.E.D. students with higher paying jobs ? Are jobs truely more lenient in reference to students who obtained their High School Diploma's, then G.E.D. obtainers ?

I want to see some opinions on the matter, it would be rather helpful as well in an decision of mine.
A G.E.D. isn't too different from a normal High School diploma, and a lot of jobs that I know of accept those who have a G.E.D. Though if you wish to make it big in the business world, a G.E.D. might not get you too far but there is a possibility that you can get somewhere with one.

If you are deciding between a standard diploma and a G.E.D., just stick with trying to get your standard diploma. Besides, what's the reason for your deciding on which one to get if you don't mind saying.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't know, nor does it matter to me. It's BSc in Materials Eng or bust for me.

Gon

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
A high school diploma is better than a GED

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm not just about to retype the 3 paragraphs this ridiculous forum just erased because of the bugged auto-logout feature.

Don't be a loser, respect your parents, your soul and your life--stay in school and get a Diploma.

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You should really go for your High School Diploma.

A G.E.D. is for mid-30s people who are too embarassed to go back to High School.

You're still young, so go through night school (faster pace) and get it.

Best answers
^_^ Thank you for your opinions, everyone who has replied so far.

MC said:
what's the reason for your deciding on which one to get if you don't mind saying.
How rude of me, sorry. Well here's my situation-- im in my final year of High School, and sadly, im have been getting totally sick of High School since the 10th grade all together for some reason. I really don't think i can make it through the last year. This whole process is moving entirely to slow for my likeing. Im currently in a bad postion in life, and i need to get ahead as quick as possible. I begin school in another two weeks-- but recently, i have been getting letters in the mail that would normally concern dropouts only, and i came across two that has really caught my interest.

The G.E.D Program -- This is an young adult educational program that offers an 8 week G.E.D. program(basically classes for preparation) before taking the test-- during this process, they also offer " pay incentives " during each week of the 8 week process, for the the students who continue to do well in these classes. This can range up from $150 to $250 a week, just for going basically. That's not all, during the last 4 weeks, they help you find a job before you get your G.E.D (which happens to be difficult beyond belief in Detroit, Michigan) Now with a G.E.D., im still eligible to go to where i was initially planning after High School-- ITT Tech, and pursue a bachelor's degree-- all they require is an High School Diploma, G.E.D., or equivalent for me to be eligible.

The High School Completion Program -- This program is similar to that of your everyday High School, they not only allow me to make up my credits if i were to drop out and transfer them over to their program, but i'll also earn a real High School Diploma in the process. It's a 8 month program-- during the first 4 months, they give me the option to take classes to become an Certified Internet & Computing Care Technician(there a bunch of other things to choose from as well, but that's what i was interested in the most), in which i would transfer from there after earning my Certificate into the High School completion portion classes to get my Diploma, something many people could only dream of in our everyday average High School, since alot of people have no idea what they wanted to do-- many people have no special skills whatsoever, after finishing High School anyway. And i felt this would be an good advancement for me.

The G.E.D. program is quicker of course, and the pay incentives is quite an attractive offer-- plus an guaranteed job within the last 4 weeks, all that sounds to good to be true. But my older sisters dont like the idea of getting an G.E.D. and ect but they said it was my choice. I could go for either program and they both would benefit me alot more then another year in High School again.

I set up an interview for both places this upcoming week, but which ever interview i intend first(if i choose to go to either one that is) will most likely be the program i sign up for-- but im very worried about getting turned down later in life or running into alot of questions, just because of the fact, that i didn't choose to stick with an Diploma. I questioned a few of my girls about it, and they have aunts, family, friends, ect who all say that a G.E.D. is treated the same as an HSD. But i needed some reassurance so i've been questioning a few forums and most people so far are telling me the G.E.D. path is the wrong way to go, because it shows a lack of hard work, and that you don't stick with what you start, and ect. I felt that people are alot more sophisticated here which pretty much lead me to making this thread and asking for views on the two.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I say just try to stick it out in High School. But if it is overwhelmingly unbearable, the Highschool Completion Program looks like it should do. Just try to get a HSD because if there is ever a difference, I would think a HSD is more appealing than a GED. Now if you go with the GED, your college of choice accepts that, so there you go. But it would sure suck if you came upon a position in your life that frowned upon GEDs, costing you that position.

So yeah if you don't want to stick out High School until graduation, the Highschool Completion Program is the way to go in my opinion.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Popularity in High School = A bunch of BS

Sucsess in High School = A bunch a Bucks

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I believe somewhere you can get a G.E.D. turned into a High School diploma for a fee.

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Diamond Princess said:
^_^ Thank you for your opinions, everyone who has replied so far.

How rude of me, sorry. Well here's my situation-- im in my final year of High School, and sadly, im have been getting totally sick of High School since the 10th grade all together for some reason. I really don't think i can make it through the last year. This whole process is moving entirely to slow for my likeing. Im currently in a bad postion in life, and i need to get ahead as quick as possible. I begin school in another two weeks-- but recently, i have been getting letters in the mail that would normally concern dropouts only, and i came across two that has really caught my interest.

The G.E.D Program -- This is an young adult educational program that offers an 8 week G.E.D. program(basically classes for preparation) before taking the test-- during this process, they also offer " pay incentives " during each week of the 8 week process, for the the students who continue to do well in these classes. This can range up from $150 to $250 a week, just for going basically. That's not all, during the last 4 weeks, they help you find a job before you get your G.E.D (which happens to be difficult beyond belief in Detroit, Michigan) Now with a G.E.D., im still eligible to go to where i was initially planning after High School-- ITT Tech, and pursue a bachelor's degree-- all they require is an High School Diploma, G.E.D., or equivalent for me to be eligible.

The High School Completion Program -- This program is similar to that of your everyday High School, they not only allow me to make up my credits if i were to drop out and transfer them over to their program, but i'll also earn a real High School Diploma in the process. It's a 8 month program-- during the first 4 months, they give me the option to take classes to become an Certified Internet & Computing Care Technician(there a bunch of other things to choose from as well, but that's what i was interested in the most), in which i would transfer from there after earning my Certificate into the High School completion portion classes to get my Diploma, something many people could only dream of in our everyday average High School, since alot of people have no idea what they wanted to do-- many people have no special skills whatsoever, after finishing High School anyway. And i felt this would be an good advancement for me.

The G.E.D. program is quicker of course, and the pay incentives is quite an attractive offer-- plus an guaranteed job within the last 4 weeks, all that sounds to good to be true. But my older sisters dont like the idea of getting an G.E.D. and ect but they said it was my choice. I could go for either program and they both would benefit me alot more then another year in High School again.

I set up an interview for both places this upcoming week, but which ever interview i intend first(if i choose to go to either one that is) will most likely be the program i sign up for-- but im very worried about getting turned down later in life or running into alot of questions, just because of the fact, that i didn't choose to stick with an Diploma. I questioned a few of my girls about it, and they have aunts, family, friends, ect who all say that a G.E.D. is treated the same as an HSD. But i needed some reassurance so i've been questioning a few forums and most people so far are telling me the G.E.D. path is the wrong way to go, because it shows a lack of hard work, and that you don't stick with what you start, and ect. I felt that people are alot more sophisticated here which pretty much lead me to making this thread and asking for views on the two.
At least you have planned things out unlike a majority of people I know that just go with whatever sounds good at the time, so kudos on that.

A G.E.D. nowadays is treated like a regular High School diploma, though like Chakra-X stated, a regular diploma looks better. If anything, I'd say just continue with your current classes and get through High School to get your diploma. Though, since you asked our opinions on the two options you presented, then I'll go with the "High School Completion Program" since it seems like it will benefit you pretty well for future job opportunities.

I know how you feel about High School, I feel the same way, I'm in a bad situation myself and unfortunately I don't have many options. Either way, I wish you good luck with whatever you choose.

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Here's the problem: A GED tells an employer that you couldn't make it through High School. Something like 50% (if not more) of Americans have some form of college degree, the vast majority have high school diplomas, and if you're rolling up on a job site with only a GED it looks pretty damn bad. If you've got a college degree on top of it I wouldn't expect them to consider it all too important but it still makes an impression unless you have some stellar four year degree to prove that you can stick to your commitments.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
GED stands for
Good
Enough
Diploma

and I hate that you can get it because now people don't even think high school is that necessary. It's also illegal to discriminate based on that sole fact in some lines of work, so...oftentimes the person with a GED can get by solely on fear of hiring managers to "discriminate" against them.

Unfortunately most jobs don't care about high school at all. Unless you didn't graduate, of course. Mostly they will look for college as that is more practical/focused than high school.

Anybody else really pissed off at this country for giving this optional "EZ mode" to today's young population? I busted my ass in high school, and I learned a lot. I also discovered talents that changed my life forever, completely accidentally. I also was made richer as a person for having the willpower and fortitude to perservere through those four years no matter how tough they got.

In the end I was proud of myself for doing so well. Then I realized the high school I went to was giving the same diplomas to the "troubled" kids in special ed. Then I knew why so many kids had strived to fail badly enough to be admitted into that program; school one day a week for two hours, one math period and one english period, only every other week, and they got the same diploma as me.

You'll probably be able to get by with a GED. But as far as I see it--and I don't mean this to you personally--but if you can't survive four years of something as relatively simple as high school, I don't see you doing too well in the business world either. The working world is full of nuances, little annoying quirks that people have that completely grate on you, all the while you have to hold your tongue and even a lot of times you get stuck with stupid work that shouldn't even exist but it does because some jerk pulled his peepee all day instead of doing HIS job, etc.

Personally I'd finish high school. But then again my name is SaiyanPRIDExix. There is a reason why I chose that name; I'm a pride-fueled person. I would defeat high school just to say I beat it. Moreso, that it couldn't beat me.

You can get the GED. But I wouldn't find it very satisfying, honestly. If you get a college degree or other certificates, it won't affect you though, so if you plan to go further than just the GED you will survive without much trouble.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Dude, highschool wasn't hard at all. It feels like an achievement at the time, but then you notice it's a case of "Yeah, you and everybody else."

Sticking with highschool would be my recommendation, because college only gets harder, and you don't want to get into college just to find you can't cut it - it's too expensive to be dropping out of. And Pride is right, work is alot harder than school (I'm counting the days until Sept. 5th). Before you know it, you'll be wishing you were back in high school with not a care in the world.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom