High poly Tien head

Best answers
I always wanted to pick up modelling. I fiddled around on milkshape a while back, but for the last 3 days i have been doing the same with 3d studio max and I have finally got something that is reasonable to show.

I've already read up a lot on modelling, but i still think i'm lacking knowledge of the program and modelling in general. So feel free to give as much criticism as you can, i know there are some great modellers around.

here come the piccies:

and here's a little meshsmooth render:

It's really high poly, i think it should be able to do away with some of them. But I think i need help on that.

Another thing, how do you recolour individual polygons like the eyebrow and eyes in max? I made the eyes (i hope) fully animatable, and i want fiddle around with them.

Anyway post your comments people, i need to learn.
So if you see any faults whatsoever please tell me.

Best answers
to recolour individual ploygons, select the polygon and apply a material from a different slot.

Best answers
Thanks, that's actually kind of obvious.

I put it to the test and it works fine.
I also tried doing some crappy emotions...

There kind of ugly right.

pissed

terrified:

annoyed:

Best answers
i don't think that eye is animatable,you just moved it.read this tutorial for making the eyes.

Best answers
oh i see. Yeah i already taught something was wrong with the way i did it.

so away with the pupils.

Little update, added wip chest and neck and a mouth.

Best answers
Sorry for the double post >__>

I had a couple of hours to continue this baby, in the meantime i have learned how to use smoothing groups, so this is what i got so far.

The body and especially the pants are still very wip, the head is pretty much finished.

I hope to finish this one soon i can get on with learning how to uvw map and skin this.

and ofcourse i still couldn't resist doing a meshsmoothed version ;)

Hope i get some more replies this time

Best answers
Update :D I think I finished my first model ever!

I got kind of crazy on the shoulders and then slacked off at other parts but i'm satisfied.

I'm going to try to skin this now unless their are some really big mistakes i missed. But when i say now, i mean it'll probably take another week.

And here's a little ink and paint version for the cell shading fans.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think the arms are a bit too long...

Best answers
you should fix his wrist/palms they look scary =x since your using max you should put on a symmetry modifier (between edit mesh/poly and meshsmooth) and see how it looks

Best answers
That's really good. What are those things under his pecks they look like fat rolls. I think he might need a six pack too.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i think you need to study some anatomy. the shoulders are wayyy off and whats with his like... double pectorals? o_O

Best answers
Mad_AxMan said:
i think you need to study some anatomy. the shoulders are wayyy off and whats with his like... double pectorals? o_O
My thoughts exactly. He's got a red thing on his second pectorals too. Looks kinda like he's got double trapezious's as well. Thats just my opinion though. The rest looks pretty good to me. except for the first line in the pants is bugging me.

Best answers
Ok about the anatomy, you're all right i don't really know my anatomy. I had to search up in google to know what the trapezius muscles are.

I see what you mean now, but i think i woun't change because i'm just trying to make it look like dbz anatomy, using this as a reference.

And i think it ressembles those muscles more or less.

But i don't know how that red thing got there, guess i just assigned it together with the waistband so i'll fix that and i'll give him some abdomen, that might make it look better.

@Trowa, I don't really get what you mean. What's scary about the wrists?

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
the shoulders are okay, especially if you were modeling a real human, but dbz usually draws deltoids weirdly round. If you made them rounder it'd look much better. My other crits would be that his pecs are a bit too wide vertically atm, if you made them smaller, and made the torso rounder so it looks like he has more of a ribcage it'd look better, infact the part under the pecs that youve modeled, should follow the bottom of the ribcage, and underneath that should be the six pack. I'd also recommend buffing up his forarms, they look like they're the same width as the rest from the front. The trousers could be longer and those white parts above his shoes shorter. The folds in the trousers look okay, its just, dbz follows the rules that when a character is standing flat on the ground the folds on the top of the legs are small, and they are mainly straight, its just they start to become more evident, just under the knees, they kinda look like a "J" there, under the knees to the shoes there are a lot more folds and they usually cross eachother at the bottom. or come to a point. The head is okay, the ears could be a bit lower, and the whole head too so it looks more attached to the neck.

Good job on it sofar though, i'd love to see how it looks skinned, its a nice first model =]

Best answers
Wow thanks David you're totally right about all of it.
You're right about the ribcage, i'll see to that immediately.

About the folds i know what you mean and i kind of intended to make folds come together in one point but i failed. That one messy fold on top is an example of that.
I just don't seem to get them right. So i went with easy rounded piled up folds.

But i'll see what i can do. Thanks for the crits man they really help alot! :D

Oh and the head isn't attached to the neck yet. I missed that he he.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
youve been here long enough to know that double posting under any condition is not allowed. have a warning.

next time just edit your previous post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom