High-End Graphics Option

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I feel that 1.3 should have an option that allows you to have high-end graphics if you want or not. High-end meaning the farthest the half-life engine can go.

I think this would be a great idea because you can make sure people who don't have the best computer, can still play the game perfectly fine. Where as a person who has a super good computer, won't be stuck with low-end graphics.

In the High-end options you could have:
- Better Map textures
- Better Sprites (Default would be 2d if 3d has already been made)
- Better eye candy (includes Auras, motion blurr, blood, better gibbed parts, fading animations when dying by beams that disintagrate)

These options would be, by default, turned off and can be turned on if the player chooses so.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
yes, lets tripple the ammount of work for 1.3! yay

There's already a higher - end graphics option, like png's for model textures, and 24 bit textures, smoke with explosions, 3d rocks. Have ever looked in your sprites folder? imagine having to double the ammount. Then imagine having to recode everything so there are 2 options.

The level of graphics options is fine atm, lets not delay it anymore.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
But you guys are aiming 1.3 towards people who have low end computer and giving nothing to the people with better ones. At least give us a couple things to please us, thats all I am asking for.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Excuse me? have you not seen the FX system? and we are adding a lot of things, you dont have to worry about that. Technically, esf has already (in 1.2) pushed half life even further than any other mod graphics wise, what you're asking for is even more. Im sorry but I think 95% of the fanbase for esf is much more bothered about the gameplay improvements than the graphics, what you're asking for is rediculous, seriously do you want to wait another year for pretty much **** all difference ingame? I dont think its possible to have a better aura than the current one, ingame it looks amazing, the ammount of sprite work im redoing and adding, you're gonna get better sprites, trust me.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I kind of have to agree with David here - We haven't even seen everything that 1.3 has to offer, so who are we to tell them to give us even more? :O

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Davidskiwan said:
I dont think its possible to have a better aura than the current one, ingame it looks amazing, the ammount of sprite work im redoing and adding, you're gonna get better sprites, trust me.
I'll take your word on this one. You better not go back on your word and disappoint me.

Oh and when I was saying better aura I meant he skin, not the model.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
better skin? in what way could it be better?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah I didnt even know motion blurs were possible on the half-life engine, but behold :O

Besides, I THINK I read that PcJoe was having the new FX system customizable, unless I misunderstood. If not, that's kinda like what your asking for Kidboy.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Do you know what a partical system is? The model ends and starts perfectly like in the show, i dont see what you mean. The current model is flat planes than loop around from top to bottom feeding through the middle, so it actually flows upwards like in the show.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Actually I do not know what a particle system is, i was just trying to sound like i knew what I was talking about, but apparently it back fired in my face.

Ok, answer me this, if you guys aren't going to add anything then why have options to turn the graphics of the beams up or down? Why not just keep it and one option so you guys, in your own words, don't have to work as much? Same with turning on advanced models. Why not just have it so you use one setting for the models so you guys don't work as hard?

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Because "Avanced" models have to be made with highest ammount of polies. With a computer option for quality that only changes the code, you can only go downwards in quality from where you start, thats what currently happens when you select the options, you cant increase quality without the relevant information. The ammount of code involved in downgrading models in polies isnt exactly easy, if you did it so you have seperate quality models, then you'd need more models, which would mean every model would have to be altered by a modeler which I dont think any of them would particularly like to do, not to mention with the current models being at 1500 polies, they'd actually have to make higher quality versions, which wud be so much work its untrue. The option of the beams graphics (im not totally sure about this, but Its either one or the other) decreases the ammount of coordinates that the beam needs to draw the sprites, so less sprites mean - less fps loss, however, more coordinates make the beams look smoother in shape but its more work for your computer to cut up the sprites and draw them to fit within the coordinates, which means there's more fps loss. Its either that, or there's some way of telling half life to drop the resolution of the sprites used. There's no need for more sprites to be made because the current ones do the job, upping the quality from the current sprite size, wud mean, I'd have to increase the size of the current sprites and redo everything again, basically, wud mean everything ive changed so far, I'd have to redo, and then produce 2 versions of, 1 with bigger resolutions for the sprite size, ones with smaller. You get the idea?

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
ESF is already the best looking Half-life mod out and 1.3 looks to improve on that. Just be happy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom