Hi,im new to Earth's Special Forces.

Best answers
I play ZEQ2 but i heard about this game for PC,now i know i have to have half life to play this,but is there a way to play with just,like a stand alone version of the game

i reallly want to try out this game,it looks fun

Last edited by a moderator:
Super Saiyan Yamcha
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
no, you need to buy half life 1 from steam mate, because esf is a modification of half life.

Listen,
Go grab the game, get esf, its free. its definately worth 10 dollars.

What CHU WAITING FOR?

G-Bear
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
There is no standalone version and according to public data, there will never be one.

You will need to buy Half-Life through Steam, there is no other way.

Super Saiyan Yamcha
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
nope, and if you get it any other way you wont get any support from us at all.
we don't tolerate piracy, stealing and other illegal things here in the forums.
if that half-life verified is not ticked you don't get any support.

Now with Kung-Fu action!
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
ESF has never been standalone. Before Steam was around, all you needed was HL1. However 1.2.1 onwards (someone correct me if I'm wrong) required a fully updated HL1, which is only properly available through Steam.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
then i will play zeq2,this game is weird then
Know the difference between a mod and a game my friend.

Game - A program that runs by itself and is generally seen as fun to use. what that program does is totally up to the designers.

Mod - Stands for modification. As in it takes a game and just changes some stuff. But because its only a modification it does not have an actual engine, hence why you require the original program (the game) to run the modification. Think ZEQ2 before the Quake 3 source code became public.

That aside, ZEQ2 would not be stand alone if the Quake 3 source code wasnt given to the public. So if you want a stand alone ESF go up to Gabe at Valve and tell him to fork out the Half Life 1 source code. Only then will we have the ability to make ESF stand alone. Well that or making our own engine from scratch which quite frankly is to much work for something thats totally free.

Last edited:
crazy love "ESF" player
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🍂 Regular
Best answers
come on buy hl1 !! with me!

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
ESF has never been standalone. Before Steam was around, all you needed was HL1. However 1.2.1 onwards (someone correct me if I'm wrong) required a fully updated HL1, which is only properly available through Steam.
You're wrong. :p

ESF 1.2.3 is perfectly playable with an illegal version of Half Life including ECX/EVM or any other mod. You just can't join the official servers and can only join cracked ones.

I think however 1.3 will REQUIRE a original Half Life with no "tolerance" towards pirated copies.

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
Actually, he's not wrong. He mentioned "properly available through Steam". 1.2.x was still playable on the non-steam as HL wasn't updated back then, thus having the latest HL.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You're wrong. :p

ESF 1.2.3 is perfectly playable with an illegal version of Half Life including ECX/EVM or any other mod. You just can't join the official servers and can only join cracked ones.

I think however 1.3 will REQUIRE a original Half Life with no "tolerance" towards pirated copies.
Not wrong actually. The irony here is that everyone going on about playing non-STEAM is using STEAM protocols and thus STEAM itself.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Haha. Guess round one goes to you. Still you get what I tried to say. :)

Badassologist Ph/D
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🎈 Advanced
Best answers
wow,i really am sure that this game was once stand alone
you used to be able to buy HL1 on the shelves in a store before steam but they don't make it anymore. its downloadable to steam only. This is better anyways because steam will keep the game up to date and apply all patches for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom